Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(311) Houses, pair, Nos. 76–7, two-storeyed with attics, with brick walls and tiled roofs, were built during the second half of the 18th century. The W. fronts have plain sashed windows and round-headed doorways with wooden pediments. Inside, original fittings remain.
(312) Houses, pair, Nos. 81–2, are of three storeys and have brick walls with ashlar plinths and quoins and slate-covered roofs. They appear to be of the first quarter of the 19th century. The entrance doorcases appear to be early 18th-century material reused.
(313) Houses, range of three, Nos. 83–5, of three storeys with brick walls and slated roofs, appear to be slightly later in date than Nos. 81–2. The combined facade is approximately symmetrical and of five bays, No. 84 having one window in each storey, the others two. A projecting first-floor window forms a central feature. Adjacent, Nos. 86 and 87 are of c. 1850.
(314) Houses, pair, Nos. 90–1, of two storeys with attics, with brick walls and tiled roofs, are of c. 1700. The W. fronts have a brick plat-band and a moulded brick cornice. The front ground-floor room of No. 90 is lined throughout with softwood panelling in two heights.
(315) House, No. 95, the presbytery belonging to St. Osmund's Church (10), is of two storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs. The symmetrical late 18th-century five-bay W. front, with a round-headed central doorway, plain sashed windows and a small pediment over the central bay, conceals two 16th-century houses. Inside, the N. house has intersecting ceiling beams in both storeys. The three-bay roof, ridged N.—S., has collared tie-beam trusses with clasped purlins; the S. tie-beam is moulded. The S. house has 18th-century panelling in the front ground-floor room and a dado of 17th-century panelling in the room above. The two-bay roof is similar to that of the N. house although the two roofs are not continuous.
(316) House, No. 96, of two storeys with brick and timber-framed walls and with a tiled roof, is of 16th-century origin. The early structure is masked by a symmetrical late 18th-century three-bay facade similar to that of No. 95. Inside, the S. ground-floor room has an open fireplace with stone jambs and a cambered oak bressummer. The corresponding chamber has a smaller fireplace.
(318) Houses, row of four, Nos. 101–4, of three storeys with timber-framed walls and tiled roofs, are mainly of the early 17th century, but the top storey and the rendered W. fronts are of the 18th century. The first floor is jettied on the west.
(320) Crown and Anchor Inn, of two storeys with timber-framed walls, partly brick-faced and partly hung with mathematical tiles, and with tiled roofs, is of 16th-century origin. The W. front has 18th-century sashed windows and is jettied on the first floor. Inside, there are original timber-framed partitions. The roof has collared tie-beam trusses with clasped purlins, wind-braces and queen-struts.
(321) Houses, two adjacent, Nos. 109–9a, are two-storeyed with attics and have rendered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs; they were built as one house in the 16th century. The rendered W. front now has 18th-century sashed windows and a 19th-century shop window.
The lower storey of the four-bay W. front had segmental-headed sashed windows, and a doorway with a wooden door-case with Tuscan pilasters and a moulded entablature. Inside, there was some fielded panelling; two first-floor rooms had coved ceilings.
(324) St. Elizabeth's School, house, of three storeys with brick walls and a slated roof, was built early in the 19th century. The W. front is symmetrical and of three bays with stone plat-bands and a moulded stone cornice. The central doorway (with a later porch) is flanked by three-light sashed windows and there are corresponding windows in the upper storeys. Inside, the plan is a variant of class U.