Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(71) Wheatsheaf Inn, Nos. 7–9, comprises two houses with rendered timber-framed walls and tiled roofs. No. 9 has two storeys and an attic and is of the 14th century; No. 7, of three storeys with attic and cellar, is of the 15th century. An extension on the S. of No. 9 is of c. 1800.
No. 9 has a gabled and jettied N. front; the original S. front is masked by the extension; the W. elevation has no notable features. Inside, the N. first-floor room has a beam with roll and ogee mouldings. The roof has braced collared rafters with a collar purlin. A crown-post remains in the roof at the position indicated (cp).
No. 7 has first and second-floor jetties in the gabled N. front (Plate 64) and restored bow windows in the second and third storeys. Inside, although the partitions of the rooms in the two lower storeys have gone, the beams define three main bays. A 15th-century stone fireplace (Plate 90) is not in situ; masonry in the cellar suggests that it formerly stood on the E. side of the S. bay. In the third storey, where original partitions remain, the S. chamber has a beam and wall-plates with ogee and triple roll-mouldings.
A mediaeval house of two storeys and an attic, adjoining the Wheatsheaf Inn on the E., appears in an old photograph (Lov. Cn., 107).
(72) House, No. 3, of two storeys with an attic, has timber-framed walls and tiled roofs and is of the 15th century. The gabled N. and S. elevations are largely masked by modern extensions. Inside, original timber framework indicates a plan with two square rooms on each floor, each room having two bays. Mortices indicate the position of former partitions, windows etc. A chimney-stack occupies the middle of the E. wall. The four-bay roof has three tie-beam trusses with cambered collars, lower king-struts and clasped purlins; the gable trusses have lower angle braces.
(73) House, of three storeys with attics, with rendered early 16th-century timber-framed walls and with tiled roofs, was extensively damaged by fire in 1973, especially at the S. end. The wide plan comprises two parallel original ranges with roofs ridged N.–S., each range having four bays; the first and second floors are jettied N. and E. A fifth bay added on the S., perhaps c. 1800, concealed the original S. front which came to light in 1973. The N. elevation has two equal gables; on the S. the roof is hipped. Above modern shop windows the second and third storeys had early 19th-century windows, now renewed. In the second storey the N.E. corner retains a moulded dragon post and bracket; elsewhere the second-floor jetty is supported by hollow-chamfered brackets. The two four-bay roofs have tie-beam trusses with lower angle-braces and cambered collars. The date 1664 is punched on the bressummer of a first-floor fireplace.