BHO

New Town

Page 111

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

New Town (Fig. 206)

New Town is situated on a triangular plot of land bounded by Empingham Road, Rock Road, Foundry Road and Eight Acres. It was developed piecemeal in the early 19th century, encroaching on land S. of the Oakham Turnpike road. By 1845 the number of houses probably reached 45. They had gardens and yards but were generally small, and were constructed either by speculators or future occupiers.

Eight Acres

(262) House, No. 11, two storeys, coursed rubble walls, freestone quoins and dressings, hipped roof, originally comprises a row of three dwellings; before 1833 (Knipe's map).

Empingham Road

(263) House, No. 10, two storeys, rubble walls, yellow brick chimney stacks, comprises the surviving pair of dwellings, with class 14a plans, in a former terrace of six. A stone panel bears the date '1849'. Interior altered to make one house.

(264) Mount Pleasant, Nos. 20–34, a terrace of eight houses, of two storeys with coursed rubble walls, freestone quoins, cambered lintels with keystones, stone ball finials on each gable apex; class 14a, mid 19th-century.

(265) Houses, Nos. 36 and 38, a pair, two storeys, yellow brick; class 14, mid 19th-century.

(266) House, No. 40, two storeys, yellow brick, slated roof, class 10 plan, lattice-work fan light; first half 19th-century.

(267) House, No. 50, two storeys, coursed rubble walls with freestone quoins, was built in two stages in the early 19th century; the N. range (class 8a) had been built by 1833 (Knipe's map), and the S. wing, containing the stair, was built soon afterwards.

Foundry Road

(268) House, No. 12, two storeys, rubble walls, freestone quoins and dressings, class 15, formerly with single-storey rear wing, now heightened; early 19th-century.

(269) Hit And Miss Inn, two storeys, rubble walls, freestone quoins and dressings, originally comprised an early 19th-century class 10 dwelling at the E. end and a large barn or workshop on the W., under a continuous roof. Soon afterwards the barn was converted into two two-storey dwellings at slightly different dates; later it was converted to its present use. To the E. of the house are attached two single-storey outbuildings with rubble walls.

(270) House, No. 27, two storeys, rubble walls, freestone quoins and dressings, originally comprised two class 15 dwellings; mid 19th-century, altered to make one house.

Rock Road

(271) Houses, Nos. 7 and 8, a pair, two storeys, coursed rubble walls, freestone quoins, brick stacks, have class 14 plans. A date-stone is inscribed '1817'.

(272) House, No. 9, two storeys, rubble walls, freestone quoins, sash windows, class 14 plan; first half 19th-century.

(273) House, No. 10, two storeys, rubble walls, freestone quoins and dressings, casement windows, approximating to class 15 plan, was built after 1833 (Knipe's map).