An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Blackfriars Street (Fig. 143)
(124) Terrace, Nos. 1–4, two storeys, red brick front and stone rear walls, dressed quoins, was built shortly before 1829 by Thomas Pilkington who bought the site in 1813 (Ex. MS, 84/7). Upper and lower windows have continuous sills, and stone surrounds. The doorways, above which are blank walls, formerly had wooden architraves. Each dwelling, of class 15, consists of a front room, side passage and outshut containing the stair.
(125) Former Balloon Inn, No. 6, three storeys and cellar, with coursed rubble walls and brick gable walls, was described as newly built in 1827 (Mercury, 28 Dec.). It has an L-shaped plan (class 11) and a street front composed of sash windows and two round-headed doorways, one leading to a central hallway the other to a side passage. In 1827 there was a parlour, bar and kitchen, with a dining room on the first floor.