An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Burghley Lane (Fig. 111)
This was formerly the only road running E. from High Street St. Martins to Pilsgate, Burghley and Barnack. After enclosure in 1796 this road was blocked by the enlargement of Burghley Park and was replaced by Barnack Road, an entirely new road cut in that year. Within the present built-up area Burghley Lane appears never to have had buildings in it until the fragmentation of the garden of 35 High Street St. Martins in the late 18th century; the first houses were built in the early 19th century in the former gardens of Nos. 35 and 36.
(151) Houses, Nos. 7–13, a row of dwellings built as reflecting pairs each of class 14b plan, of two storeys, have coursed rubble walls, flush dressings and openings with projecting keystones. The row was built by John de Merveilleux between 1834, when the land was bought from the widow of George vander Neunberg, and 1842, the year of de Mervcilleux's death (deeds). In 1850 the Borough Surveyor was ordered to lay five steps in front of five new houses in Burghley Lane; these steps survive outside Nos. 9–13.