An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Church Lane (Fig. 111)
(156) Houses, Nos. 1, 3 Church Lane and 6, 8 Church Street, three storeys, coursed rubble walls with freestone dressings, red brick chimney stacks, comprise four houses of c. 1830; they are probably those shown on Knipe's map of 1833. The doorway and sash windows on the rounded corner are all curved. Nos. 1 and 3 Church Lane are of class 14a, and 6, 8 Church Street of class 15.
(157) Former Red Cow Inn, No. 2, two storeys, coursed rubble walls, class 10 plan but much altered; early 19th-century.
(158) House, No. 4, two storeys and attics, coursed rubble walls, class 15 plan but the rebuilt E. gable may indicate truncation in the early 19th century; 18th-century.
(159) House, Nos. 9–11, two storeys and attics, coursed rubble walls, mansard roof, has an L-shaped plan. The main range, class 10 plan, bears a date-panel inscribed 'RB 1823'. The short rear wing, built slightly later, has recently been partly demolished.
(160) House, No. 13, two storeys with attics, coursed rubble walls, mansard roof, brick chimney stack, class 8a plan with side passage, ovolo-moulded mullioned windows of two or three lights; probably built in c. 1845.
(161) House, No. 21, two storeys, rubble walls, dressed plinth, class 10 plan with slightly later wing at rear, timber lintels over doors and windows; early 19th-century.
(162) House, No. 23, three storeys, coursed rubble walls, class 15 plan, single windows on each floor, sash and casement; after 1833 (not on Knipe's map).