An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Church Street (Fig. 111)
The road from Easton-on-the-Hill formerly ran along Church Street, and thence along Church Lane to High Street St. Martins. In 1796 the present Kettering Road was created, forming a more direct route.
(163) House, No. 1, three storeys, coursed rubble walls, originally comprised two houses, the W. having a class 15 plan and the E. a class 10. The end room of the latter unit has been removed. The building-date is given on a panel, 'JB 1828'.
(164) Church Court, a row of class 15 dwellings, one storey and attics, coursed rubble walls, red brick chimney stacks, converted to garages, is now derelict. The row may have consisted of three or four units, and was built in the 18th century.
(165) Warehouse, two storeys and attics, coursed rubble walls, mansard roof, is early 19th-century. On the E. are four oval openings for ventilation with red brick surrounds and iron-barred wooden frames. Above are tall windows, many blocked. The original function of the building is unknown but the ground floor was used for storage.
(166) Former Malting, Nos. 2–4, coursed rubble walls, was originally of three storeys extending to the rear wing of mon. (235). Demolition of a central section has left the W. part detached and this has become two houses and a store. Originally there were small square openings on each floor. The site was bought by Moses Lumby in 1813; he cleared four houses and built the maltings before his death in 1838 (deeds).
Nos. 6 and 8 Church Street, see mon. 156.