An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Gas Street (Fig. 85)
This street runs along the E. side of Tenter Meadow adjacent to the site of the Blackfriars, and takes its name from the gas works established next to it in 1825 (452).
(171) Houses, Nos. 5–9 (Fig. 99), consist of two pairs and a single class 15 dwelling, each with coursed rubble walls. Nos. 5 and 6 have ashlar quoins and dressings, and rebuilt outshuts; on the front is a date-panel, 'W.R. 1819'. Nos. 7 and 8, without quoins, were built soon after Nos. 5 and 6; No. 9 is set back and was the last to be erected.