An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Crown Street (Fig. 86)
(167) House, Nos. 3–4 (Plate 111), formerly one dwelling, is mid 18th-century. At the rear it incorporates a timber-framed wing giving on to Red Lion Street, but this may be a later acquisition. It is of two storeys, attics and cellars and the walls are ashlar. A wooden eaves cornice is heavily moulded. The street elevation is designed with the lower stage different from the upper. The ground floor, originally of three unequal bays, is plainer than the upper, without quoins or surrounds to openings; above the platband the wall has quoins (Plate 121), and the four windows, two of which are now blocked, have moulded surrounds and triple keystones. The arrangement of rooms probably conformed to class 10 but only one partition remains. One room contains 18th-century fielded panelling in two heights.
(168) Marsh Harrier Inn, No. 7, three storeys, cellars, and attics in a mansard roof, has coursed rubble walls and freestone dressings. It was constructed as one building on two plots between 1791 and 1798. The E. plot was owned by William Baker, schoolmaster, who in 1791 leased the W. plot from Browne's Hospital; in 1798 a lease from the Hospital states that Baker had built over both sections (Browne's Hospital Muniment Room, All Saints' leases, March 1791 and 1798).
The street front has sash windows with platbands at sill level. Recently the W. end wall was completely rebuilt. Reset in the S. wall is a panel inscribed, 'FBA 1671'. On the first-floor is a late 18th-century plaster ceiling with circular pattern enriched with swags in the Adam manner.