An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the Town of Stamford. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
1. Monuments, numbered throughout the Inventory in a single sequence, are grouped in various categories as shown in the Table of Contents. Houses are listed numerically under their streets which are arranged in alphabetical order.
2. Fig. 1 shows the boundary of the present borough, the map in the end-pocket illustrates the central area where most of the monuments are concentrated, and separate maps within the text indicate the location of monuments in the streets (Figs. 70, 85, 86, 100, 111, 138, 143, 169, 187, 201, 206, 209).
4. Churches are normally described in the order E. to W. and N. to S., repetitive features such as arcades and windows being numbered in the same order. Dates in the descriptions of memorials are those of the deaths of the persons commemorated, as recorded; surnames in brackets are maiden names. Proper names are recorded as they appear on the memorials or other objects but otherwise the normally accepted spelling has been adopted. Church plate is of silver unless otherwise described.
10. A glossary of archaeological and architectural terms at the end of the volume contains only those terms which are used in the inventory and for which an insufficient definition is given in the Concise Oxford Dictionary, 4th ed. (1951), reprinted with revised addenda (1954).