An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
34 Hartley (G.d.)
(1). Hartley Castle, house at the S. end of the village, was re-built in the 18th century. Immediately to the N. of it is a mass of rubble masonry enclosing a cellar with a segmental barrel-vault. There is also a length of rubble walling N.E. of the house and occasional outcrops of rubble core N. and W. of the house. These fragments perhaps belong to a mediæval building with an enclosing wall. Built into a gardenwall is a mediæval mask-corbel and in the outbuilding, E. of the house, are three 17th-century door-heads, probably re-used.
(2). Cottage, two tenements, 220 yards N. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 17th century and retains an original doorway with a triangular arch and the date 82. There are also some small original windows.
(5). Cote Garth, house, nearly ¾ m. E. of (4), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 17th century and retains some original windows, now blocked, and some exposed ceiling-beams.