An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
38 HILLBECK (G.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XVI, S.E.)
Hillbeck is a parish adjoining Brough on the N.
(1). Thornthwaite, house, on the E. side of the parish 1 m. N.E. of Hillbeck hamlet, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The house has been extensively altered but has a 16th-century or earlier doorway, with chamfered jambs and ogee head; it has been, perhaps, re-set.
(2). Lynchets, in a field, on a W. slope, 370 yards E. of Bullistone Bridge, consist of seven terraces, averaging 18 yards wide and about 100 to 130 yards long. The average drop between each terrace is 2½ ft.