An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
45 HUTTON ROOF (E.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVII, N.W., (b)XLVII, S.W.)
Hutton Roof is a parish and small village 3 m. W. of Kirkby Lonsdale.
a(1). Parish Church of St. John, formerly a chapel of Kirkby Lonsdale, stands at the N. end of the village. It was re-built in 1757 and again in 1881-2, but retains the following:—
Fittings—Plate: includes a cup, paten and flagon all of pewter, late 17th or early 18th-century. Miscellanea: In N. wall of vestry—stone with the date 1610, also part of an arch of 1757. In vicaragegarden, re-erected stone bell-cote probably of 1757 also two small octagonal stone bowls with hemispherical sinkings but without drains, date and purpose uncertain.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(2). House, on the W. side of the road at the N. corner of Crag's Lane, was built perhaps early in the 18th century.
b(3). Cottage, 30 yards S. of (2), has been heightened in front. It retains an original stone window with a moulded label.
a(4). Kelker Well, house, 1,450 yards W. of the church, contains a small cupboard with the initials and date H. and A.P. 1694. The staircase has turned balusters and square newels and there is an early 18th-century fireplace.
a(5). Newbiggin Farm, house, 1 m. N.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and retains an original stone window.
a(6). Newbiggin Old Hall, 240 yards N.W. of (5), has been much altered.
a(7). Manor House, 160 yards S. of (5), was largely re-built in 1756. The front doorway is probably of the 17th century and has moulded jambs and a curved ornamental head cut on the face of the lintel.
a(8). Sealford, house, 700 yards N.N.E. of the church, retains its original stone windows on the E. front, one of them having a transom.