An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
50 KING'S MEABURN (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VIII, S.E., (b)IX, S.W., (c)XV, N.W.)
King's Meaburn is a parish and village 4 m. W. of Appleby.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(1). House, on the W. side of the road ¾ m. S.S.E. of the sixth milestone from Appleby, was built late in the 17th century and has a rather later addition on the N. Inside the building is a three-stage cupboard of the local type, with a recessed upper part and a fascia carved with the initials and date R.A. 1672 and supported on balusters.
a(2). Cottage, on the E. side of the road 30 yards S.E. of (1), was built probably late in the 17th century, but has been extensively altered.
a(3). Midtown House, 280 yards S.S.E. of (2), was built late in the 17th century and retains some original windows. Inside the building the fireplace-recess retains its heck and some remains of the timber hood.
a(4). Post Office, 200 yards S.S.E. of (3), was built in the 17th century, but has been extensively altered.
a(5). Cottage, on the opposite side of the road and 25 yards S. of (4), was built late in the 17th century.
a(6). Outbuilding at Relandsgate, 350 yards S.S.E. of (4), has a panel with the date 1707 on the door-lintel.
a(7). Millgate, cottage on the W. bank of the River Lyvennet, 650 yards S.W. of (4), was built late in the 17th century and has an 18th-century addition on the N.
c(8). Peaslands, house (Plate 19) on the W. side of the road ¾ m. S.S.E. of (6), was built in 1707, the date with the initial D. on the lintel of the doorway. The upper windows in front are original and have a moulded string-course above them.
b(9). Burwain, house 1,140 yards N.E. of (8), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
c(10). Wickersfield, house nearly ¾ m. S. of (9), was built c. 1700.