An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
41 HOLME (D.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVI, N.E., (b)XLVI, S.E.)
Holme is a small parish 6 m. W. of Kirkby Lonsdale.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(1). Jolly's Farm, house, 800 yards S. of the church, has added outbuildings on the S. and E. The front doorway is original and has a panelled lintel and a nail-studded door. There are original stone windows in the E. and S. walls. Inside the building is an original dresser with enriched fascia and pendants; there is also a panelled partition with enriched frieze-panels, and a spice-cupboard with a panelled door. The staircase has square newels and grooved handrails.
a(2). Pinder's Farm, house, 60 yards S.S.W. of the church, has a later extension on the E. Two chimneystacks have cylindrical shafts and there are some original stone-mullioned windows.
a(3). Brooklands, house, 120 yards E.N.E. of the church, has a later addition on the N.
a(4). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 340 yards N.N.E. of the church, retains an early 18th-century fireplace.
a(5). Park View, cottage on the W. side of the road, 330 yards N. of (4), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.