BHO

Nateby

Pages 179-180

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

In this section

71 NATEBY (G.d.)

(O.S. 6 in. XXX., N.E.)

Nateby is a parish and hamlet 1 m. S. of Kirkby Stephen.

Secular

Monuments (1–5)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.

Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.

(1). Rakehead, house, two tenements, E. of the hamlet, retains two original doorways and some original stone windows. One of the doorways has the date 1685 on the lintel and an old battened door with strap-hinges. Inside the building is a panelled door with the date 1686.

(2). Cottage, in the village and on the N. side of the road 300 yards W. of (1), has the initials and date R.W. 1681 with a scrolled panel and two birds on the re-set lintel of the porch doorway. The interior has exposed ceiling-beams.

(3). Black Bull Inn, at the N.W. corner of the villagegreen, 260 yards W. of (2).

(4). Thringill, house ½ m. S.S.W. of (1), was built early in the 18th century and has the initials and date I.R. 1714 on the lintel of the porch doorway.

(5). Ridding House, 770 yards S.E. of (4), retains some original stone windows, a doorway with a flat four-centred head and a moulded string-course between the storeys.

Condition—Partly bad.

Unclassified

(6). Village Settlement (760 ft. above O.D.), on the E. side of the road 1,100 yards S.S.E. of Thringill Bridge, forms a roughly rectangular enclosure of approximately 2 acres, divided into the usual irregular sub-enclosures. About 50 yards S. of the N. rampart are traces of a circular hut about 15 ft. in diameter. The whole area is turf-covered. Running E. from the N. rampart is a bank or dyke which takes two turns before reaching the modern boundary-wall.

Condition—Bad.

(7). Mounds, about 250 yards S. of the modern school, are two in number. The more northerly is 24 ft. in diameter and 2½ ft. high and the second about 15 ft. in diameter and 2½ ft. high.

(8). Lynchets, on both sides of a ridge sloping N.W. and S.E., 300 yards N.W. of (1), are about 9 yards wide with a drop of about 4 ft.

(9). Lynchets, on both sides of a ridge sloping to the E. and W., 650 yards W.N.W. of (1), are 4 to 5 yards in width. The drop is about 2½ ft. on the E. slope and 4 to 7 ft. on the W. slope. The longest is about 300 yards.

(10). Lynchets, on the E. side of the road 400 yards S. of Thringill Bridge, lie on a W. slope. They vary in length up to 300 yards and in width from 4 to 14 yards. The drop is from 3 to 5 ft.

(11). Lynchets, 200 yards W. of (9), on a N.W. slope, are very fragmentary.