An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
30 FAWCETT FOREST (D.e.)
b(1). Kidshowe Bridge, carrying the main KendalShap road over Kidshowe Beck, is a rubble structure of one span, with a round arch. It is of two dates; the eastern part is apparently the older and may date from the 17th century. The voussoirs of the arch are left uncut on the soffit, giving a saw-tooth profile to the arch. The later widening is of the same character.
b(3). Borrowdale Head, house, 50 yards S.W. of (2), is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 17th century and has a later addition at the back. Inside the building is an original plaster panel (Plate 51) with a conventional rose or other bush. The early 18th-century staircase has straight moulded balusters and newels.
b(4). Hollow Gate, house, ¾ m. N. of (1), is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 17th century and has a wide fireplace-recess with a stone heck or screen on the N.
a(5). Bannisdale Head, house, 1¾ m. W. of (3), is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably late in the 17th century and retains its original battened front door and frame.