An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 2, the Defences. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
p. 4, n4: In 1308 twenty-one Templars held by the sheriff of Yorkshire could not stay in York Castle because the houses there were damaged and roofless. He had to rent for 35s. a house in the city as a prison for them (PRO E358/18 rot. 31(1), under 'vadia fratrum'). Cf. CCR 1307–13, 33.
p. 115a: During 1971 a short length of the city wall which proved unsafe was taken down and rebuilt; a 19th-century stone wall connecting its end to the boundary between Nos. 8 and 9, St. Leonard's Place was also removed.