An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS OF ENGLAND
We, the undersigned Commissioners appointed to make an Inventory of the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people of England, excluding Monmouthshire, from the earliest times to the year 1714, and such further Monuments and Constructions subsequent to that year as may seem in our discretion to be worthy of mention therein, and to specify those which seem most worthy of preservation, do humbly submit to Your Majesty the following Report, being the twenty-ninth Report on the Work of the Commission since its first appointment.
3. Following our usual practice we have prepared a full illustrated Inventory of the monuments in south-west York, which will be issued as York III. As in other recent Inventories, the Commissioners have adopted the terminal date 1850 for the monuments included in the Inventory.
4. The methods adopted in previous Inventories of describing post-Roman buildings and mediaeval and later earthworks, etc., have been adhered to in general. An innovation is the method of recording the many houses built between 1800 and 1850. The development and redevelopment in this period had a considerable effect upon the life and aspect of the city; for brevity therefore, without emasculation of the record, a simple tabulated list of these houses has been given, accompanied by short, general accounts of their architectural features and components.
5. York has a particularly rich inheritance of documentary records and has numbered many devoted historians among its citizens during the past three hundred years. The wealth of primary and secondary sources of information thus available has enabled us to establish close dating for many of the monuments included in the Inventory and often to attribute works to named architects and craftsmen. As a result, the Inventory establishes chronological and stylistic criteria for the region.
6. An Inventory of the Roman remains in the city was published in 1962 under the title: City of York I. Eburacum, Roman York. Monuments of a military character are listed and described in York II, The Defences (1972), which includes, as well as the Bars and Walls, Baile Hill and the former earthwork from which The Mount takes its name.
7. Our special thanks are due to incumbents and churchwardens and to owners and occupiers who have allowed access by our staff to the monuments in their charge. We are indebted to the Directors, Curators and those in charge of many institutions for their ready assistance to us, and particularly to Mr. T. Doherty and Mr. O. S. Tomlinson, successive York City Librarians, to the late Mr. J. Biggins and Mr. L. M. Smith of the Reference Library, to the Rev. Canon R. Cant and Mr. C. B. L. Barr of the York Minster Library, to Mrs. N. K. M. Gurney, of the Borthwick Institute, to Mr. N. Higson of the East Riding County Record Office, to Mr. C. K. C. Andrew and Mr. M. Y. Ashcroft of the North Riding County Record Office, to Sir Anthony Wagner, Garter King of Arms, and the Chapter of the College of Arms, to Dr. R. W. Hunt and the Bodleian Library, Oxford, and to Mr. J. Hopkins of the Society of Antiquaries of London; also to Mr. G. F. Willmott, formerly Keeper of the Yorkshire Museum, to the officials of the York City Art Gallery, to Miss F. E. Wright, Hon. Secretary of the Yorkshire Architectural and York Archaeological Society, to Miss A. G. Foster and Mr. D.J. H. Michelmore of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society, and also to Miss E. Brunskill, the Ven. the Archdeacon of York, C. R. Forder, the partners in the firm of Messrs. Brierley, Leckenby and Keighley, architects, and Mr. W. Jesse Green, some of whose photographs of stained glass are reproduced by permission of the Dean and Chapter. The late the Rev. Canon J. S. Purvis, the late the Rev. Canon B. A. Smith and the late the Rev. Angelo Raine all gave us valuable help for which we are grateful. We wish also to record our gratitude to Mr. T. D. Tremlett, who has continued to advise us on heraldic matters.
(81) Nos. 89–90 Micklegate, house of the Bourchiers, finished by 1752 and probably designed by John Carr; though largely gutted, retains fine staircase and ceiling and other fittings and is the most important town house in the area.
9. In compiling the foregoing list our criteria have been architectural or archaeological importance, rarity, not only in the national but in the local field, and the degree of loss to the nation that would result from destruction, always bearing in mind the extent to which the monuments are connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilisation and conditions of life of the people of England, as required by Your Majesty's Warrant. The list thus has an entirely scholarly basis.
10. We desire to express our acknowledgement of the good work accomplished by our executive staff in the preparation and production of this Inventory, in particular by Mr. J. H. Harvey, F.S.A., the results of whose industry and careful researches before his resignation in 1970 have added so much to the interest and value of the Inventory, and by Dr. E. A. Gee, M.A., F.S.A., F.R.HIST.S., whose work has complemented that of Mr. Harvey; by Messrs. R. W. McDowall, O.B.E., M.A., F.S.A., T. W. French, M.A., F.S.A., J. E. Williams, E.R.D., A.R.C.A., F.S.A., and D. W. Black, B.A.; by Messrs. H. G. Ramm, M.A., F.S.A., D. P. Dymond, M.A., F.S.A., A. G. Chamberlain, the late J. Radley, M.A., F.S.A., and I. R. Pattison, B.A.; by our photographers Mr. W. C. Light and Mr. C. J. Bassham, by our draughtsman Mr. A. R. Whittaker, and by Mrs. J. Bryant, who helped with the editorial work throughout.
12. The record cards for York may be consulted by accredited persons who give notice of their intention to the Secretary of the Commission. Copies of photographs may be bought on application to the National Monuments Record.