An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
HEWORTH (Monuments 148–198)
Heworth is an area to the N.E. of the City, part of which has always been in the City and part of which was included by extensions of the City boundary in 1884 and later. The plan of a small mediaeval village street with long tofts is traceable on the OS map of 1852 in the road now called Heworth, but most of the area was moor or common until the rapid expansion of the City in this direction after c. 1825. At this date plans were drawn up by Peter Atkinson II and R. H. Sharp for the development of Heworth Grange Crown Estate on the N.W. side of Heworth Green (PRO, MPE 1006). These houses were never built but they are typical of the good quality houses which were erected in Heworth Green from this period onwards. In the streets behind Heworth Green the standard is much lower, and in some instances definitely mean.
Monuments 148–198, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys and were built in the first half of the 19th century.
(148) Glenfield is a detached double-fronted house built c. 1840–50 on an L-shaped plan and later extended.
(149) The Glen Residential Nursery was built as an isolated detached house in the last decade before 1850. On the OS map of 1852 it is called Glen Heworth and is shown surrounded by extensive grounds. Later in the 19th century it was enlarged to double its original size. The house was designed in a picturesque Tudor style featuring many gables with boldly projecting barge boards, the principal ones shaped and pierced, and chimneystacks of various designs; one of the stacks had three separate octagonal shafts with moulded brick bases and tops. Demolished.
Some of the houses are described as modern built in YG 20/5/1848 but others date from earlier in the century. The street is architecturally undistinguished and many of the houses have been altered.
(150) Nos. 1–15 (odd), are small terraced houses of uniform design but with breaks in the brickwork between Nos. 7 and 9 and 9 and 11 indicating different builds. They date from c. 1845. The doorways, where unaltered, have simple pilastered doorcases with panelled reveals.
(151) Nos. 49–55 (odd), 59, 65, 67, 71, 73, 137, 139, 141, 153, 155, 157, are terraced houses, all broadly similar but with variations in detail. Nos. 49–55 form a range of four; Nos. 65 and 67 are a pair. No. 141 is double-fronted and a more ambitious house than the others. The gutters are carried on single or paired brackets but No. 139 has a moulded cornice and No. 141 a bracket cornice. Some of the houses have tiled roofs.
(152) Houses, Nos. 79–83 (odd), form a terrace which was mentioned as occupied in the Directory of 1846 and called Eastern Pavilion on the 1852 OS map. Nos. 81 and 83 have entrances with engaged shafts to the jambs and bold entablatures with modillions, and three-sided bay windows with similar entablatures.
(153) Danby Terrace, Nos. 117–133, was built c. 1835. Nos. 123 and 125 are double-fronted.
(154) Nos. 1–10, form a terrace of ten double-fronted houses with a datestone of 1846. Nos. 2–9 are of three bays with a central doorway; Nos. 1 and 10 have a carriageway with a low elliptical arch of shaped bricks in place of the lower rooms on one side.
(155) House, No. 31, is a detached villa of three storeys with semi-basement and attic, gabled to the N.E. and S.W., which was built c. 1830.
There is a two-storey porch to the S.E. and a large semicircular bay, possibly added, with modillioned and dentilled cornice at the S.W. end. The ground level varies between the front and back of the house and the entrance hall is therefore divided between two floors. The main part of the hall has a plaster panel above each of the three doorways leading off it, that over the door to the middle room with griffins and a central urn very similar to that in No. 61 Bootham (48). The middle room itself has a frieze with Classical figures on both of the long walls. The staircase rises in the hall between the two front rooms; it has very slender turned balusters, two to a tread, and a mahogany handrail, and is lit by a tall window with marginal panes of ruby and white glass, stretching up over two landings.
(156) Houses, Nos. 49–55. No. 49 is a double-fronted house, the rear of which is attached to the terrace formed by Nos. 51–55.
(157) The White House is double-fronted and has a pantiled roof.
(158) House, No. 56, of two storeys, was built in the second half of the 18th century on a simple rectangular plan with front and back rooms each side of the entrance hall.
(159) Sparrow Cottage, No. 58, a small double-fronted house, was built c. 1810–20. The central entrance has reeded panels to the jambs and entablature. The window heads have segmental arches. The roof is pantiled.
(160) Houses, Nos. 60, 62, are a symmetrical pair. The doorways have reeded pilasters and friezes; the roofs are pantiled.
(161) Trentholme, No. 68, is a double-fronted house and has a central entrance with reeded pilasters, and semicircular fanlight. The tiled roof has two gables to the W. end.
(162) House, No. 86, double-fronted and of three bays, was built c. 1840. The door has six fielded panels and a rectangular fanlight with marginal panes and the windows hinged casements and plastered lintels simulating flat arches of ashlar. The roof is pantiled.
(163) House, No. 97, of three storeys, has a lead rainwater head with initials and date S.E. 1794, probably for Samuel Ella, who acquired property in Heworth after 1790 (N. Riding Registry of Deeds, C1 334 488, C1 336 490). A later porch has been added to the symmetrical front. On plan, two front rooms flank the central entrance hall, and there are smaller back rooms each side of the staircase behind.
(164) Heworth Croft, No. 19, is a detached villa of two storeys and attics (Plate 99) standing, with a coachhouse and other outbuildings, in its own grounds. It is first mentioned in the Directory of 1843, under its former name, Queen's Villa, when it was occupied by the Reverend John Acaster, incumbent of St. Helen's, Stonegate. There is a large house on this site on Robert Cooper's map of 1832 but Heworth Croft appears to be later than this in style. An advertisement in the Yorkshire Gazette of 5 August 1854, shortly after John Acaster's death, states that he built the house for himself and that he obtained a lease for 99 years from the Crown in 1842. It is therefore likely on documentary as well as stylistic grounds that the house was begun in 1842.
The house is built of white brick in an Italianate style and roofed in slate. There are raised brick pilasters to the corners of the elevations. The main garden front elevation, of three bays, has a central pilastered porch with round-arched windows to the sides, a plain ashlar band at first-floor level and a slight projection to the central bay of the first floor. In the angle formed by the main rectangular block of the house and a wing to the N.W. is a low tower which further emphasises the Italianate style in which the house is built. The wing is connected to an original coach-house building now converted to other uses. The interior has a staircase with stone treads and cast-iron balustrade, and the principal ceilings are decorated with moulded plaster in various patterns.
(165) No. 26 is a detached house dating from c. 1835. The symmetrical front elevation has a central entrance with reeded half-columns and a fanlight with geometrical glazing bars (Plate 109). The windows have slightly segmental cement arches with key blocks. The roof is hipped.
(166) St. Maurice's House, No. 36, is a white brick detached villa dating from c. 1849. The front elevation is symmetrical and has neo-Norman details. The interior is plain and much altered.
(167) No. 44 and No. 1 Mill Lane are two three-storey houses (Plate 102), perhaps originally built as one house with a service wing, of c. 1835–40. It is shown as one building on the 1852 OS map. The main elevation of No. 44 is of four bays with a continuous sill-band to the first floor and a heavy moulded cornice. The entrance has a shallow hood supported on brackets. The first-floor windows have flat pediments supported by similar brackets; those to the ground and second floors and to all floors of No. 1 Mill Lane have segmental cement arches with key blocks and simulated voussoirs. No. 1 Mill Lane has a bold entrance with rounded arch with key block and simple pilastered jambs.
(168) House, No. 46, (Plate 102) of three storeys, was built c. 1840. It has a simple entrance with Tuscan pilaster jambs. The windows have segmental arches of cement with key blocks and simulated voussoirs; those on the first floor have a continuous sill-band.
(169) Houses, Nos. 48, 50, (Plate 102) are a pair, of three storeys with basements, built c. 1845–50. They have heavy doorcases and angular bay windows to the ground floor and a continuous sill-band to the first-floor windows; the window openings have segmental arches.
(170) Houses, Nos. 52, 54, (Plate 102) both of three storeys, were built c. 1845–50. No. 52 has an entrance similar to that of No. 50 and a modillioned cornice. No. 54 has a heavy door-case with bold brackets and an angular bay window; the upper-floor windows have segmental arches.
(171) Heworth Moor House, No. 56, is a detached house of three storeys built c. 1849. The front elevation is symmetrical and has a heavy central porch with pedimental top flanked by two-storey bay windows with modillioned cornices; the other windows have segmental arches.
(172) Houses, Nos. 58, 60, are a three-storey pair of c. 1840 with conjoined entrances with a continuous entablature and Doric half-columns. The windows have cement arches with fluted key blocks and simulated voussoirs.
(173) No. 62 is a detached house built in white brick in the second quarter of the 19th century. The symmetrical front elevation has a central entrance with heavy Tuscan door-case flanked by brick and timber bay windows; these three features have a continuous modillion cornice. The eaves cornice is of moulded timber beneath a parapet with stone coping.
(174) Shoulder of Mutton Hotel, No. 64, of two storeys with attics, was built as a substantial private house c. 1840. It was called Heworth Green on the 1852 OS map. The symmetrical front elevation has a central open Tuscan porch flanked by bay windows. The three first-floor windows have moulded architraves and an entablature and cornice supported on console brackets. The tiled and hipped roof has a central dormer window.
(175) The Lodge, No. 66, a detached house of white brick, dates from c. 1845. The symmetrical front elevation has a central doorway beneath a fanlight with segmental arch, flanked by plain bay windows with modillion cornices. The upper windows have cambered arches and the eaves cornice is made up of two courses of moulded corbels to carry cast-iron gutters.
(176) House, No. 72, of two storeys and attic in brown brick with white dressings, was built c. 1849. There is a bay window with enriched modillion cornice to the ground floor. The first-floor windows are set beneath semicircular arches with blind tympana springing from nook-shafts with foliated capitals. The gutter is carried on decorated bearers.
(177) House, No. 74, called the Shoulder of Mutton p.h. on the 1852 OS map and kept by John Poulter in 1843 (Directory), was built c. 1840. It is almost square on plan and has a symmetrical front elevation in painted stucco. The central entrance has a heavy hood supported on large consoles; it is flanked by angular bay windows. The two first-floor windows have segmental arches; two first-floor windows in the E. wall retain their original glazing. There is a single-storey addition at the E. end.
(178) Scarborough Parade, Nos. 76–94, was built by 1830 when eight houses are entered as occupied in the Directory. They are terraced houses of two and three storeys of several builds and with variations in detail. The entrances have reeded half-columns or pilasters and rectangular fanlights with geometrical glazing.
(179) House, No. 96, was originally all of brick but was refaced in stone at the end of the 19th century.
(180) Houses, Nos. 98, 100, built c. 1840, form a pair, of three storeys with semi-basements. The entrances have fluted attached columns and doors of six panels beneath rectangular fanlights with geometrical glazing bars. The windows of the three main floors have segmental arches of cement with key blocks and simulated voussoirs.
(181) Houses, Nos. 104, 106, built between 1817 and 1832, formed a symmetrical building marked on the OS map of 1852 as Cupola House. No. 104 has been enlarged by the addition of a W. wing; No. 106 has been heightened; both have been completely refronted, but the Greek Doric columns and entablature framing the entrance to No. 104 are probably original, reset.
Each house was originally entered from the side, the front door leading to an entrance hall, containing a staircase, behind the front room. Two further rooms lay behind the hall.
(182) Wynstay, No. 108, a small villa in cementrendered brick with a symmetrical front elevation of three bays, was built in the second quarter of the 19th century. It was called Arlington Cottage on the 1852 OS map. The central entrance is framed by panelled pilasters and an entablature with a pediment; there are bay windows on either side. The roof is hipped.
(183) Heworth Villa, No. 110, a detached three-bay villa in white brick with rusticated quoins, was built in the second quarter of the 19th century. It was called Heworth Green Cottage on the 1852 OS map. It is attached to an older 19th-century house which remains at the rear.
The symmetrical main front has a central entrance with a hood with a modillion cornice supported on large brackets resting on stone corbels, flanked by bay windows with similar cornices. The first-floor windows have segmental arches. The roof is hipped. The staircase has turned balusters, two to a tread, a mahogany handrail and shaped cheekpieces. It rises between the two ground-floor front rooms to a large landing lit by a window with a two-centred arched head and arched glazing bars in a Gothic pattern.
(184) The Limes, No. 112, a detached three-bay villa-type house in white brick with a stone plinth, was called Terrace Cottage on the 1852 OS map. The central entrance has fluted attached Roman Doric columns and a canted bay window to one side. Inside, the rooms have reeded cornices and the doors have four sunk panels. The staircase has plain balusters of square section, two to a tread, a slender mahogany handrail and elaborately-shaped cheekpieces.
(185) Houses, Nos. 28–36 (even), form a range of five small dwellings with plain entrances built c. 1845.
(186) No. 38 is a small stucco-rendered house with a hipped roof. The main elevation of four bays is articulated by giant pilasters.
(187) Nos. 42–52 (even) are a range of small single-fronted houses with pantiled roofs. No. 50 was called Letter Receiving Office on the 1852 OS map.
(188) The Nag's Head, p.h., was built in the second quarter of the 19th century. It had the same name in 1850 (OS) and in 1843 when it was occupied by Charles Vaux (Directory). It is a double-fronted house of three bays. The details have been modernised.
(189) Houses, Nos. 58, 60, built c. 1820, have entrances with reeded half-columns to the jambs. The upper windows have segmental arches.
(190) Houses, No. 62, has a doorway with a reeded frieze over a rectangular fanlight flanked by deep brackets. There is a segmental bow window with hung sashes to the ground floor. The roof is pantiled.
(191) Houses, Nos. 77, 81, 80, 82 have been considerably altered. No. 81 has been widened to be double-fronted but retains the original door-case to the entrance, with attached reeded columns. Nos. 80 and 82 form a symmetrical pair, with similar doorcases.
(192) No. 83 is a detached double-fronted house originally of three bays. It has a modern pantiled roof.
(193) Houses, Nos. 4, 6, form part of a small terrace, dating from 1840–50. The openings have been modernised. No. 4 demolished.
(194) Houses, Nos. 13–15, form a small terrace similar to that in John Street but retain their simple pilastered doorcases and cambered arches to the windows. Demolished.
(195) The Manor House, No. 1, was formerly called the New Manor House (OS). It was built before 1830 when William Hornby Esq. occupied it and it appears, with its name, on Robert Cooper's map of 1832.
The house is partly of two, partly of three, storeys, above a high semi-basement and is of unusual, nearly cubical, shape. A bay window was added later in the 19th century.
(196) The Cottage, No. 11, dates from c. 1800 and appears to be on Robert Cooper's map of 1832. It was called Belle Vue Cottage in 1834, when it was occupied by Mr. John Scott, in 1846, when it was occupied by Henry Janson, gent., and in 1850 (Directories; OS).
It is a double-fronted cottage with rendered walls and a hipped roof and was extended c. 1840. It has an enriched door-case of mid 18th-century date, brought from elsewhere.
(197) Rose Villa, No. 34, was called Heworth Villa in 1850 (OS). It was built in the early 19th century and may be the house which appears on the site on Robert Cooper's map of 1832. It is a double-fronted house with later extensions.
(198) Houses, Nos. 2, 4, 12, 14, 20, 22, 26, 34, 36. and 1, 7, 9, 23 are simple small terraced houses of different builds and with variations in detail. They all date from c. 1849. No. 9 is double-fronted.