Poor parishes of 1428

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Elizabeth Crittall (editor)

Year published

1959

Supporting documents

Page

314

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Poor parishes of 1428', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 4 (1959), pp. 314. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=102820 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

POOR PARISHES OF 1428

There is printed below a list (fn. 1) of very small parishes, compiled in 1428 when the collectors of a levy on parishes had to report to the Exchequer all parishes with fewer than ten householders, the limit below which exemption from the tax was allowed. The list for Wiltshire is longer than for some counties of equivalent size, but it seems to include some places which had never had a church or chapel. There are a number of places which occur in this list which have already been noted above (p. 296) as being at the foot of the ladder in 1334 and 1377. Sopworth, however, had been some way from the foot even in 1377. Many names in this list are no longer represented by any substantial settlement although a few have prospered in later years. The tax collectors authenticated their return for Axford by adding to the name of the sole inhabitant, one Robert Erle, 'nisi unus inhabitans'. Unless otherwise stated, the parishes have been assigned to the hundreds in which they were included in 1334. They were, of course, originally returned by deaneries. The words in brackets after the vills bear the same meaning as is set out on p. 295.

Parishes with Fewer than Ten Households in 1428

HundredParish
AlderburyWhaddon (in Alderbury)
AmesburyAlton (in Figheldean)
"Boscombe
"Figheldean
"? Newton Tony (fn. 2)
"Ratfyn (in Amesbury)
BlackgroveBincknoll (in Broad Hinton)
BradfordAtworth
"Chalfield, Great
"" Little
"Wittenham (in Wingfield) (fn. 3)
BranchSherrington
Branch and CadworthBurcombe
CalneBlackland (in Calne)
CawdonBramshaw (in Hants)
ChedglowAshley (in Glos.)
ChippenhamSopworth
CrickladeShorncote (in Somerford Keynes, Glos.)
Damerham (fn. 4) Tidpit (in Martin, Hants)
Dole (fn. 5) Rolleston
DunworthChicklade
HeytesburyAnsty (in Knook)
KingsbridgeCorton (in Hilmarton)
KinwardstoneChisbury (in Little Bedwyn)
"Easton
MelkshamWhaddon (in Semington)
Ramsbury (fn. 6) Axford
SelkleyKennett, [? East]
StartleyFoxley
SwanboroughAlton Barnes
" (fn. 7) Huish
" (fn. 8) Manningford Abbots
Underditch (fn. 9) Salisbury, Old, St. Peter
"Stratford-sub-Castle
WarminsterNorridge (in Upton Scudamore)
"Pertwood (in East Knoyle)
"Thoulstone (in Upton Scudamore)

Footnotes

1 Taken from Feud. Aids. v. In 1371 Wilts. was reckoned to have 239 parishes: E 359/8B, mm. 20–21.
2 'Norton' in Amesbury hundred.
3 Identifiable with Rowley in preceding lists. See above, pp. 297, 306, and cf. V.C.H. Wilts. vii. 70.
4 Hundred taken from P.N. Wilts. (E.P.N.S.).
5 Hundred taken from P.N. Wilts.
6 The hundred of 1377.
7 Hundred taken from P.N. Wilts.
8 Hundred taken from P.N. Wilts.
9 Hundred taken from P.N. Wilts.