This was a shop on the S. side of the street known as Poultry, between 29 to the W., 31 to the E., and 26 to the S. It may originally have been part of 26, one of the wooden shops belonging to Matthew Blund which in 1220-2 lay to the W. of the row of 8 stone shops (31-35) which he then granted to Clerkenwell Priory.
In 1858 part of the site of the property was within that of nos. 3-4 Poultry.
30, thirteenth and fourteenth centuries
In 1278 John le Ferroun had quit-rents of £1. 6s. 8d. (2 marks) from the 2 shops held by Henry de Eure, probably 29 and 30, which he left with other rents to a chantry in the church of St. Stephen Walbrook. In 1284-5 Henry de Eure, ironmonger, and his wife Clemencia granted a rent of £1 from their capital tenement in All Hallows Gracechurch to Roger le Batour, with provision that if it could not be levied there it could be levied from the grantors' shop in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch, which Walter son of William Hervy had left to their son John and which the latter granted to his parents before he entered religion (ante susceptionem sui habitus). The shop lay between 29 to the W., 31 to the E., the street to the N. and 26 to the S. In 1285-6 Henry de Eure, ironmonger, and his wife Clemencia granted their shop with solar, appurtenances and easements in rengo ferrariorum de Westchep in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch, to Adam of St. Albans, junior, ironmonger. The abutments of the shop were given as before; Adam gave the grantors 18 marks (£12) as a gersum, and was to render them a clove at Christmas, and 1 mark (13s. 4d.) to the chief lord of the fee, probably the church of St. Stephen Walbrook for John le Ferrun's chantry. By his will enrolled in 1289 Adam of St. Albans the younger left to his son Richard a shop at the Conduit, which he had by Henry de Euere's grant, next to 31. In 1291 Clemencia de Euere, widow of Henry, quitclaimed to Isabel of St. Albans, widow of Adam of St. Albans the younger, in 2 shops (29 and 30) in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch in Sporieristrete, between 28 to the W., 31 to the E., 26 to the S., and Sporieristrete to the N. In 1291 Clemencia also confirmed the quit-rent of £1 to Roger le Batour, leviable in case of default on the shop in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch. By his will enrolled in 1317 Reginald de Abyton left to his son Roger and his heirs for ever his shop with solar over which he acquired from Richard of St. Albans, in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch next to 31. (fn. 1) This Roger was probably the Roger Deynes who held the shop to the W. of 31 in 1322 and 1323, and who subsequently acquired 31 (q.v.).
30 and 31, later fourteenth century
By his will of 1345 Roger Deynes, citizen and ironmonger, left his tenement in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch, between 29 to the W. and 32A to the E., to his wife Margaret for life, with remainder to his son William. By his will of 1349 William Deynes, citizen and ironmonger, son of Roger, left the tenement to William Fromund, his own sister Christina, and Richard de Bradefeld, to hold for the life of William Fromund, who was also an executor of the will, finding a chaplain in the church of St. Thomas of Acre for the testator's soul and his parents' souls, with remainder for sale. William's executors sold the reversion of the tenement to Simon Wynchecombe and his wife Joan. Probably by 1382, and certainly by 1395, Simon de Wynchecombe had acquired the whole of 25 and the 4 shops 29-32A. In 1395 he granted them all together with quit-rents and tenements in other parishes to William Euot, draper, John Seymour, John Clee, draper, William Horston, Matthew Rede, and Richard Person, citizens. 30- 31 were described as the tenement with houses which the grantor late bought of William Fromond and Richard de Broune, late citizens and ironmongers, executors of William Deynes, late citizen, between 29 to the W., 32A to the E., 26 to the S. and the street of Poultry to the N. Evote and his co-feoffees granted the premises to William Marchall, chaplain, John Creek, Robert Whityngham, Thomas Medbourne, John Garnet, John Colbroke, and John Ballard, citizens and tailors, and the heirs and assigns of John Barnard. In 1409 John Ballard leased to William Pelham, citizen and ironmonger, a shop with solars over, late held by Nicholas Bonde, citizen and cofferer, of John Ballard, in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch, London, between the messuage of Nicholas Bonde, and the shop which John Hauke, ironmonger, held of Richard Person, armourer, for 10 years at 7 marks (£4. 13s. 4d. rent). This is probably one of 29-32A; it is not certain but seems likely that it was 30- 31, since both 29 and 32A (qq.v.) were subject to life- interests, 29 to Richard Person and 32A to John Wynchecombe, who granted it to Person. 30-31 subsequently descended, like 25, 29, and 32A, to the fraternity of tailors and linen armourers, and its history during the 15th century, when it is not clear which of the fraternity's tenants held it, is given under 25. (fn. 2) In the 16th and 17th centuries 29-31 seem to have formed a single tenement, the history of which is given under 29.