List of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (general editor)

Year published

1991

Supporting documents

Pages

11-13

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', Survey of London Monograph 17: County Hall (1991), pp. XI-XIII. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=118174 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

List of Plates

All LCC and GLC photographs are in the possession of the Greater London Photograph Library

Frontispiece.The Council Chamber. Perspective by A. C. Horsnell, 1911, from Academy Architecture, Vol. 42, Dec. 1912, p. 48a
1.County Hall under construction, 1921. Copyright Hunting Aerofilms (5603)
2.(a) Old County Hall, Spring Gardens, in May 1939. LCC photograph
(b) A meeting of the LCC at Old County Hall, Spring Gardens. Oil painting by H. Jamyn Brooks, GLC Heritage Collection, courtesy of the Guildhall Art Gallery, Corporation of London
(c), (d) County Hall site in the early 1900s. LCC photographs
3.(a) Belevedere Road in 1909. LCC photograph
(b) Westminster Bridge Road in 1905. Sketch by Hedley Fitton from Pall Mall Magazine, Oct. 1905, p. 403
(c) W. E. Riley's design for County Hall site. From The Building News, 21 April 1905, between pp. 562–3
(d) The Assessors at work. Watercolour by Joseph Finnemore, GLC Heritage Collection, courtesy of the Guildhall Art Gallery, Corporation of London
4.Unsuccessful Competition Designs
(a) River front elevation by H. Percy Adams & C. H. Holden. RIBA Drawings Collection (AHP/AD [9], no. 11)
(b) Belvedere Road front elevation by Salmon, Son & Gillespie. From The British Architect, 25 Oct. 1907, between pp. 198–9
(c) River front perspective by Adrian Gilbert Scott. From The Builder, 12 Sept. 1908, between pp. 282–3
5.The Development of Knott's Design
(a) Amended design of 1908. Oil painting by Harold Wyllie, GLC Heritage Collection, courtesy of the Guildhall Art Gallery, Corporation of London
(b) Knott's Royal Academy design of 1909–10. From The Building News, 29 April 1910, pp. 592–3
(c) Model of revised design approved in 1911. LCC photograph
6.(a) County Hall site in July 1909. LCC photograph
(b) Foreshore in Feb. 1910. LCC photograph
(c) Foundations of Section A under construction. LCC photograph
7.Laying the Foundation Stone in 1912. Marquee, Ceremony, and Ceremonial tools. LCC photographs
8.County Hall under construction, 1912–1920. LCC photographs
9.(a) Roof structure in May 1920. Photograph in possession of Anthony McIntyre
(b) County Hall in October 1921. Photograph by Bedford Lemere, RCHME
(c) North front in May 1930. LCC photograph
10.(a) Opening ceremony, 17 July 1922. London News Agency photograph (Greater London Photograph Library)
(b) River front in 1922. LCC photograph
(c) River front c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton in possession of The Architectural Press
11.Ralph Knott and the LCC Chairman and Chief Officers in 1922. From The Illustrated London News, 15 July 1922, p. 105, courtesy of The Illustrated London News Picture Library
12.(a), (b) Crescent and Members' Terrace in 1922. LCC photographs
(c) The flèche in 1989. RCHME photograph
13.Belvedere Road front
(a) In 1973. GLC photograph
(b) Central bays in 1923. LCC photograph
(c) Main entrance c. 1930. LCC photograph
14.(a) Westminster Bridge Road front in 1988. RCHME photograph
(b) Members' Carriage Drive c. 1923. Photograph by F. R. Yerbury in possession of the Architectural Association
(c) Knott's design for rainwater head, 1915. GLRO, GLC Architect's Plan Room drawing (AD47/02)
(d) Members' Entrance in 1963. LCC photograph
15.Members' Carriage Drive in 1988. RCHME photographs
16.Members' Courtyard
(a) Knott's design for the south elevation, 1912. GLRO, GLC Architect's Plan Room drawing (BC7/02)
(b) Looking west c. 1922. Central News Limited photograph (Greater London Photograph Library)
(c) Knott's design for cast-iron lamps, 1922. GLRO, GLC Architect's Plan Room drawing (AD16/01)
17.Members' Courtyard
(a) North side in 1929. LCC photograph
(b) Members' Entrance c. 1923 Photograph by F. R. Yerbury in possession of the Architectural Association
(c) Memorial to Knott in 1937. LCC photograph
18.Northern Front
(a) In 1986. GLC photograph
(b) Vehicle entrance c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
(c) Heraldic carving in 1988. RCHME photograph
19.(a) Belvedere Road Entrance Hall in 1960. LCC photograph
(b) Ceremonial Staircase and Gates in 1990. RCHME photograph
20.(a) Ceremonial Staircase in 1922. LCC photograph
(b) 'Ambulatory' in 1990. RCHME photograph
(c) Entrance to Council Chamber in 1960. LCC photograph
21.Council Chamber in 1938. Photograph courtesy of Times Newspapers Limited
22.(a) Ayes Lobby in 1986. GLC photograph
(b) Room 177 in 1923. LCC photograph
23.(a) Members' Library in 1923. LCC photograph
(b) Room 168 in 1921. Photograph by Bedford Lemere, RCHME
24.(a) Room 129 in 1921. Photograph by Bedford Lemere, RCHME
(b-d) Rooms 128, 129 and 120, in 1922. LCC photographs
25.(a) Room 165 in 1936. LCC photograph
(b) Room 136 in 1921. Photograph by Bedford Lemere, RCHME
(c) Room 115 in 1923. LCC photograph
26.Principal Floor Corridors
(a) Design by Knott, 1913. GLRO, GLC Architect's Plan Room drawing (AD4/07)
(b) Carving on Lady Members' Staircase in 1986. GLC photograph
(c) Corridor in Block 12 in 1933. LCC photograph
(d) Postbox and pigeon-holes in 1986. GLC photograph
27.Fireplaces
(a) Room 115, c. 1923. Photograph by F. R. Yerbury in possession of the Architectural Association
(b) Room 133, 1922. LCC photograph
(c) Belvedere Road Entrance Hall, 1922. LCC photograph
(d) Room 118, 1961. LCC photograph
(e) Room 188, 1922. LCC photograph
28.(a) Lamp-fitting and ceiling details in Council Chamber in 1986. GLC photograph
(b) Lift cage in 1923. LCC photograph
(c) Bronze doors inside Members' Entrance in 1990. RCHME photograph
(d) Radiator in Members' Entrance in 1990. RCHME photograph
(e) LCC coat-stand in 1986. GLC photograph
29.(a) Lunette painting. From The Architectural Review, Feb. 1923, p. 38, courtesy of The Architectural Press
(b-d) Wood and stone carvings by A. H. Wilkinson, in 1990. RCHME photographs
30.Sculptural groups by Ernest Cole in 1990. RCHME photographs
31.(a) Horse's head chain-support on embankment wall. From The Builder, 8 Sept. 1911, between pp. 274–5
(b) Lion's head mooring-ring on Embankment wall in 1986. RCHME photograph
(c), (d) Sculptural groups by A. F. Hardiman, in 1990. RCHME photographs
(e) J. W. Singer & Son's Foundry, Frome, c. 1910. Photograph in Frome Museum
32.(a) North Entrance lobby in 1990. RCHME photograph
(b) Staircase to Crush Hall in 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
(c) D Staircase in 1990. RCHME photograph
(d) E lift lobby in 1933. LCC photograph
33.(a) Crush Hall c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
(b) Conference Hall c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
(c) Room 143 in February 1933. LCC photograph
34.(a) Room 153 c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
(b) Room 152 in 1933. LCC photograph
(c) Room 140 c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
(d) Room 142 in 1986. GLC photograph
35.(a) Education Library in 1933. LCC photograph
(b) Education Department Library and Sample Room in 1933. LCC photograph
(c) Medical Department Supplies, Room 35, in 1937. LCC photograph
36.(a) West Entrance Hall, Westminster Bridge Road, in 1988. RCHME photograph
(b) Second-floor corridor in 1990. RCHME photograph
(c) Third-floor corridor in 1986. GLC photograph
(d) Vehicle Licensing Hall in 1963. LCC photograph
(e) Luncheon Club in 1939. LCC photograph
37.(a) Main laboratory in 1954. Fox photograph (Greater London Photograph Library)
(b) Staff Chapel in 1965. LCC photograph
(c) Room 201 in 1990. RCHME photograph
(d) Octopus Room in 1921. Photograph in possession of Anthony McIntyre
38.(a) Roofscape in 1970. GLC photograph
(b) Area G in 1990. RCHME photograph
(c) Exterior of the Council Chamber in 1990. RCHME photograph
(d) Exterior of the Conference Hall and Education Library c. 1933. Photograph by Herbert Felton, RCHME
39.New County Offices
(a) Drawing by G. Gilbert Scott. RIBA Drawings Collection (ScGG, WhE & HiF [1]4)
(b) Model of the new offices in July 1935. LCC photograph
(c) Window detail by Scott. RIBA Drawings Collection (ScGG, WhE & HiF [1]49)
(d) Perpective view of new offices at night by Stanley H. Smith, c. 1937. GLRO Print Collection
40.New County Offices
(a), (e) Exteriors in 1939. LCC photographs
(b), (c) Carved panels in 1987. RCHME photographs
(d) Models for column capitals in 1938. LCC photograph
41.New County Offices in 1990. RCHME photographs
(a) Entrance to South Block
(b) Relief panel in North Block
(c) Entrance Hall in North Block
(d) M staircase in North Block
42.(a) War damage to County Hall in 1940. Keystone Press Agency photograph (Greater London Photograph Library)
(b) Riverside terrace in 1970. GLC photograph
(c) Members' Courtyard, infill block in 1986. GLC photograph
(d) Infill block in H Courtyard in 1990. RCHME photograph
43.Post-war Interiors. GLC photographs
(a) Infill offices in 1986
(b) Staff cafeteria in 1966
(c) Chairman's Reception Suite in 1970
(d) Room 448 in 1974
44.North Block extension
(a) Under construction in 1956. Photograph by A. C. Halliday (Greater London Photograph Library)
(b) L staircase in 1986. GLC photograph
(c) Exterior in 1957. LCC photograph
(d) Third-floor offices in 1960. LCC photograph
45.Post-war buildings
(a) Addington Street Annexe in 1989. RCHME photograph
(b) Island Block, interior in 1975. GLC photograph
(c) Island Block, escalator connexion in 1988. RCHME photograph
(d) Island Block, exterior in 1975. GLC photograph
46.(a) Memorial to Emma Cons in 1990. RCHME photograph
(b-d) Portraits of Early LCC Chairmen from GLC Heritage Collection, courtesy of the Guildhall Art Gallery, Corporation of London:
(b) Captain George Sitwell Campbell Swinton. Charcoal drawing by J. Singer Sargent
(c) Ronald Collet Norman. Oil painting by Glyn Philpot
(d) Sir John Lubbock. Oil painting by the Hon. John Collier
47.Portraits of GLC Chairmen from GLC Heritage Collection, courtesy of the Guildhall Art Gallery, Corporation of London
(a) Dame Evelyn Joyce Denington. Oil painting by William Edward Narraway
(b) David Thomas Pitt, Lord Pitt of Hampstead. Oil painting by Edward Irvine Halliday
(c) Thomas Archer Ponsonby, 3rd Baron Ponsonby of Shulbrede. Oil painting by Carlos Sancha
(d) Tony Banks, M.P. Oil painting by Jane Murphy
48.County Hall Redevelopment Proposals, 1989. Photographs from the County Hall Development Group plc


<--Previous:
Acknowledgments
Next:-->
List of figures