(O.S. 6 in. London, Sheets (a)N, (b)O, (c)R, (d)S.)
The borough of Wandsworth includes the
parishes of Clapham, Putney, Streatham, Tooting
Graveney and Wandsworth.
b(1). The Church of St. Paul, Clapham,
stands at the N. end of the parish. It was built
in 1815, but contains from the old church of Holy
Trinity the following fittings.
Brasses: In N. aisle—on N. wall, (1) to William
Tableer, 1401, inscription only; (2) to William
Glanvill, 1647, with shield-of-arms. Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. transept—
(Plate 144) against N. wall, (1) of Sir Richard
Atkins, Bart., 1689, and Rebecca (Wright,
alias Bunckley), , his wife, recumbent
effigies in white marble of man in armour
of the period wearing peruke, and woman in
contemporary costume, now separated and on
draped altar-tombs with three shields-of-arms
attached; (2) of Henry, 1677, Annabella, 1670,
and Rebecca, 1661, children of above, marble
effigies; the son and elder daughter seated, the
younger daughter standing and holding skull;
the son in Roman costume and peruke and the
two daughters in costume of the period; originally
part of large architectural monument of which only
the cornice to a large curved pediment now remains,
with an achievement-of-arms; on W. wall, (3)
of [Bartholomew] Clerke, 1589, and Elenor, his
wife, small kneeling figure of man, two inscriptions
and remains of monument. In churchyard—N.
side, (3) to Sir Richard Atkins, Bart., 1689, Rebecca,
his wife, and Henry, Annabella and Rebecca,
their children, table-tomb, with moulded top,
panelled sides, clasping angle buttresses and iron
railing; (4) to Rebecca Dixie, daughter of Sir
Richard Atkins, 1714, table-tomb, generally similar
to (3) but with shield-of-arms; on N. wall of church,
(5) to Hannah Lister, 1695, tablet with shield-of-arms; (6) to [Dr. Martin Lister, 1711], tablet, with
shield-of-arms; on W. wall of S. transept, (7) [to
Samuel Rush, 1710, Elizabeth, his daughter, 1703,
and four children of Samuel Rush, junr., 1713]
cartouche with shield-of-arms; W. of church,
(8) to William Sheldon, 1700, Elizabeth, his wife,
1708, and William Chambers, 1714, slab. Floorslabs: In nave—(1) to [Sir Laurence Bromfeild]
1668, and his grandchildren, Charles Corbett, 1660
and Thomas Corbett, 1667, (2) to Abraham
Babington, 1681, and Elizabeth, his wife, 1689,
(3) to John Thompson, 1665.
a (2). Parish Church of St. Mary, Putney,
stands on the S. bank of the Thames and on the
E. side of the approach to Putney Bridge. The
walls of the tower are of rubble, with limestone
dressings; the roof is covered with lead. With
the exception of the West Tower, which is probably
of early 15th-century date, the church was entirely
rebuilt in 1836, when Bishop West's Chapel, which
was erected in the reign of Henry VIII on the
S. side of the church, was removed from its former
site and re-erected in its present position on the
N. side of the chancel.
Architectural Description—The West Tower
(12 ft. by 11 ft.) is in three stages, with an embattled parapet. At the N.E. angle is an octagonal
stair-turret and on the W. are diagonal buttresses.
It has been completely restored and most of the
dressings are modern.
Bishop West's Chapel (14¾ ft. by 10 ft.) is in
two bays, (Plate 146) faced externally with modern
stock bricks with limestone dressings; the internal
walling and vaulting are of limestone. In the
E. wall is one, and in the N. wall two, windows,
each of three ogee cinquefoiled lights with moulded
jambs and splays and tracery under a four-centred
head; they are almost entirely modern, except
the splays and rear-arches. In the S. wall are two
large openings with a central pier, moulded responds
and four-centred arches; the responds and piers
have moulded bases and the jambs and soffit are
panelled as is also the N. face of the pier to half
its height, above which the wall is corbelled out.
In the W. wall is a four-centred opening with
moulded jambs and four-centred arch. Dividing
the bays on the N. and S. walls and in the angles
of the chapel are vaulting shafts, all with moulded
capitals and bases, except the middle one on the
S. wall, which rises from a carved corbel. The roof
of the chapel is fan-vaulted with radiating traceried
panels between the moulded ribs; the two flat
spaces between the cones have each a quatrefoiled
and sub-cusped circular panel containing a shield
of the arms of the See of Ely impaling argent a
cheveron sable between three roses gules seeded, stalked
and leaved proper for West. In the middle of the
panels to the E. and W. of the circles are carved
rosettes with the letter W. superimposed.
Fittings—Brackets: In chapel—built into W.
angles, two with carved foliated corbels and
moulded semi-octagonal shelves. Brasses and
Indent. Brasses: In chapel—on N. wall, (1) of
John Welbek, 1476, and Agnes, his wife, 1478,
figure of man in armour of the period with feet
resting on a hound, inscription mutilated; palimpsest on back, complete inscription to John Thorp
and Isabella, his wife, parents of Sir William Thorp,
formerly "Master of this College" [St. Laurence,
Pountney], 15th-century, inscription flanked by
three drops at each end; (2) figure of woman
wearing hat, c. 1600; indents of this figure, sons,
daughters and inscription-plate in nave. In nave,
(3) portions of two shields—(a) a cheveron between
three harts' heads cabossed, a crescent for difference for
Whorwood impaling a quartered shield of Brooke,
a cross engrailed and parted palewise and Parker,
a cheveron between three harts' heads cabossed, a
martlet for difference; (b) Whorwood impaling a
quartered shield of Grey (i) barry of six in chief
three roundels; (ii) quarterly (1) and (4) Hastings,
(2) and (3) Valence; the lower parts of both shields
are missing; they belonged to the tomb of William
Whorwood, Attorney General to Henry VIII, who
died 1545; (4) to Lady Katherine Palmer, 1613,
inscription only. Indent: In nave—of two figures
and inscription-plate, one figure covered. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. aisle—
on N. wall, (1) to Mary (Scott), wife successively of
Richard Lusher and Thomas Knyvett, 1623, black
and white marble tablet; (2) to Sir Thomas Dawes,
1655, and Judith, his wife, 1657, marble bracket
with skull and two cartouches-of-arms. In nave—
on W. wall, (3) to Margaret (Diggs), second wife of
Sir Antonie Palmer, 1619, and Philadelpha,
daughter of Sir Antonie and his first wife, Katherine,
1621, alabaster and black marble monument with
inscription-tablet within enriched circular band
and flanked by Doric columns supporting an
entablature with pediment; on pediment, skulls
and hour-glass and on frieze three shields-of-arms.
In S. aisle—on E. wall, (4) to James Martin, 1651,
black and white marble tablet with moulded
architrave and carved console, brackets flanked by
Ionic pilasters supporting an entablature with
carved pediment containing cartouche-of-arms;
below, moulded shelf with console, brackets and
shaped apron with shield-of-arms. On W. wall,
(5) to Robert Gale, 1659, oval marble tablet with
cherub-heads at top, bottom and sides. In N.
gallery—on N. wall, (6) to Daniel, son of Sir Thomas
Belt, 1697, white marble oval tablet (Plate 10),
with achievement-of-arms below; (7) to Thomas
Payne, 1698, white marble cartouche (Plate 10)
surrounded by drapery and festoons and surmounted by vase and shield-of-arms; (8) to
Leicester Burdet, 1691, white marble cartouche
with shield-of-arms at head. In S. gallery, (9)
to Andrew Welch, 1704, white marble cartouche
with achievement-of-arms at head and shield
at foot. In W. gallery, (10) to Sir Robert
Wymondesolde, 1687, and his infant sons, Thomas,
William and Robert, large marble tablet flanked
by scrolls with festoons and surmounted by
moulded cornice with segmental pediment with
urn, weeping cherubs and swags above, and
apron with winged sculls, etc., below; (11) to
Edward Martin, 1655, white and grey marble
tablet, by John Stone, with Doric side columns
and surmounted by cartouche-of-arms. In W.
tower—on N. wall, (12) to Katherine, daughter of
Sir William Kingsmill, wife of Sir Anthony Palmer,
1613, alabaster and black marble tablet (Plate 147)
with inscription in frame of fruit and strapwork
with cherub-heads, flanked by Corinthian columns
resting on a corbelled shelf and supporting an
entablature with panelled soffit and broken pediment with shield-of-arms; on S. wall, (13) to
Richard Lussher, 1615, alabaster and black marble
tablet (Plate 147) with frame of strapwork, ribbands
and fruit, flanked by obelisks and Corinthian
columns with an entablature and broken pediment
with female reclining figures and a shield and
achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—S. side, (14)
to Nathaniel Lodington, 1707, and Jane, his wife,
1732, table-tomb with moulded top slab and panelled
sides; on slab, inscription and achievement-of-arms,
and later inscription to wife; (15) to Mary Folwell,
1711, head-stone; (16) to Mary Rogers, late 17th-century, head-stone; (17) head-stone with undecipherable inscriptions, late 17th or early 18th-century. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to Sir Gerrard
Dutton Fleetwood, 1699, Mary (Holt), his wife,
and two sons and daughter; (2) to Simon Monger,
1699, [his sister, Triphena, 1700], and Elizabeth,
sister of Triphena. In N. aisle—(3) to Godfrey
Woodward, 1701. Recess: In chapel—in W. wall,
with moulded jambs and four-centred arch, in it a
moulded rectangular panel with a shield carved
with the arms of the See of Ely impaling West
surmounted by a mitre, and the initials N.W. and
flanked by a rose and a pomegranate, panel reset.
d(3). Parish Church of St. Leonard,
Streatham, stands in the middle of the parish.
The West Tower is built of flint and limestone-rubble with limestone dressings and is of late 15th
or early 16th-century date; the rest of the church
has been rebuilt in 1831 and at subsequent dates.
Architectural Description—The West Tower
(11 ft. square) is in three stages, but the upper
part of the third stage has been rebuilt. The
tower-arch is mostly modern but retains a few
old stones. The second stage has in the N., S.
and W. walls the remains of single-light windows
with two-centred heads. In the E. wall are parts
of the jambs of an opening to the roof.
Fittings—Brasses: In S. chapel—(1) of William
Mowfurth, 1513, rector of Streatham and Mykleham,
figure in mass-vestments. In N. aisle—on W. wall,
(2) to Anne (Crompton), wife of Gabriell Livesey,
1598, inscription only. Door: In tower—in
turret-staircase, in second stage, nail-studded with
four-centred head, and hung on two shaped
strap-hinges, 16th-century. Font: octagonal, with
moulded top and underside and quatrefoiled
panels containing flowers on sides of bowl, moulded
base, 15th-century; rim of bowl and stem modern.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In. N.
gallery—on N. wall, (1) to Susannah, daughter
of Sir Richard Amcotts, 1st wife of Thomas
Hobbes, 1623, and Amye and Hannah, her infant
children, also Margarite, daughter of Sir George
Younge, and wife successively of ... Chiborne
and Thomas Hobbes, 1628, and her children,
Catherine (Chiborne) and Samuel (Hobbes),
black marble panel with alabaster shelf with
strapwork apron and cherub, carved flanking
pilasters and moulded cornice supporting two
shields-of-arms; (2) of Thomas Hobbes, c. 1630–40,
white marble bust with ruff and cloak, on corbelled pedestal terminating in cherub, cartouche-of-arms above; (3) to Robert Livesaye, 1608, and
Amye, his wife, 1617, black marble slab flanked
by alabaster terminal caryatides, with cherubheads and cornice with shield-of-arms. In S.
gallery—E. end, (4) to Sir Matthew Howland,
tablet in frame with achievement-of-arms above,
apparently part of a larger monument, mid 17th-century; on S. wall, (5) to Walter Howland,
alias Roberts, 1692, and John Howland, his son,
1674, oval-shaped tablet of white marble within
carved frame surmounted by achievement-of-arms;
(6) to Cecilia (Goodwin), wife of George Lee, 1664,
marble tablet in moulded frame flanked by weeping
children, with cornice, carved skulls, defaced
achievement-of-arms above and shield-of-arms
below. In W. tower—on N. wall, (7) to John
Howland, 1686, and Jeffery Howland, his father,
draped marble monument on black marble background with round-headed niche containing urn and
two seated cherubs, the niche flanked by carved
pilasters resting on cherub-heads, moulded cornice
and curved pediment with cartouche-of-arms and
two lamps and an urn; on S. wall, (8) of John
Massingberd, 1653, and Cecilia, his wife, alabaster
and black marble wall-monument with figures
of man and wife, in civil costume of the period,
kneeling at a prayer-desk in recess with two
round arches, flanked by Corinthian columns with
entablature, achievement and two shields-of-arms.
In S.W. porch—on E. wall, (9) to Edmund Tyllney
 Master of the Revels to Queen Elizabeth
and James I, and his parents, Phillip and Malin,
alabaster and black marble tablet with eight
shields-of-arms on flanking pilasters and achievement-of-arms above cornice; on S. wall, (10) to
Rebecca (Gerrard), wife of William Lynne, 1653,
black marble tablet with freestone border carved
with cherub-heads, skulls, crossbones, etc., and
two shields and achievement-of-arms; against
N. wall, on modern cement base under canopied
recess, (11) upper part of much-mutilated alabaster
effigy of man in armour with bascinet, camail,
jupon with arms, on two bars three martlets, and
hip belt; head on broken helm; arms, sword and
legs below thighs missing; recess with cusped and
sub-cusped trefoiled arch divided into three by
buttresses, the two middle buttresses rising off
carved bosses; crocketed and finialled ogee
canopy with traceried tympanum over middle
part and at sides traceried spandrels; frieze surmounted by an embattled cornice carved with
flowers; above the last, row of quatrefoiled panels,
partly hacked off; upper part of buttresses and
lower part of monument missing and existing
portion much damaged; all late 14th-century.
Floor-slabs. In N. aisle—(1) to Cecilia (Goodwin),
wife of George Lee, 1664; (2) to Thomas Holt,
A.M., 1710, rector of the parish, with achievement-of-arms. In S. aisle, (3) to the Hon. John Peers,
1688; (4) to Elizabeth, wife of [Mark] Wiseman,
1643; (5) name hidden, 1626 (?); (6) to Alice,
daughter of Sir Giles Howland, 1609. Pulpit:
hexagonal with angle pilasters carved with strapwork ornament, continuous cornice and deep
frieze carved with arabesques and flowers, panelled
sides; on upper part of W. side achievement of
the arms of Howland impaling another coat;
c. 1640–50, stem and steps modern.
Condition—Good, mostly rebuilt.
c(4). Parish Church of St. Nicholas, Tooting
Graveney, stands about the middle of the parish.
It was entirely rebuilt and added to at various
times in the 19th century but incorporates from the
old church the following:—
Fittings—Bell: one—by Matthew Bagley, 1705.
Brass: see monument (2). Funeral-helm: In tower
—funeral-helm, gilt, with Bateman crest, late 17th-century; below helm, short sword with gilt hilt.
Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to Sir John
Hebdon, 1670, black marble tablet with muchworn achievement-of-arms. In S. transept—on
W. wall, (2) of Elizabeth Fitzwilliam, 1582, and
her husband, William, 1597, freestone tablet with
pilasters and entablature; within tablet, brassplate of man and woman in costume of the
period, kneeling at prayer-desk, with achievement-of-arms above. In tower—on E. wall, (3) to
Esther (Searle), wife of Sir James Bateman [Lord
Mayor of London], 1709, large white cartouche
with drapery and cherub-heads, surmounted by
cornice with cherubs, urn and shield-of-arms, all
on black marble background. In churchyard—
(4) to William [Turner], 1714, black marble slab
with achievement-of-arms; (5) to James Turner,
1709, stone slab; (6) to Sir John Hebdon, 1670,
stone slab; (7) to Sept . . . Scriven . . .,
1707, black marble slab; (8) to Sir John
Maynards, K.B., 1658, and his son, Sir John, 1664,
stone slab with partly defaced achievement-of-arms.
Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1669
and a bowl or alms-dish of 1672.
Roehampton House, Sketch Plan
a(5). Parish Church of All Saints, Wandsworth, stands on the N. side of the High Street,
about 100 yards W. of the bridge over the River
Wandle. The walls of the W. Tower are faced with
modern brick. The W. tower was rebuilt in
1629–30 and the N. aisle added to the old building
in 1724. With these exceptions the whole church
was rebuilt in 1779–80. Subsequent alterations
include the refacing and rebuilding of the top stage
of the W. tower which now has no ancient features.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. In chancel—
on N. wall, (1) of Nicholas [Maudyt], serjeant-at-arms to Henry V, 1420, figure in full plate-armour of the period, with sword and mace,
head and part of marginal inscription missing;
indents of four shields. In N. aisle to chancel—
(2) to Robert Knaresbrough, 1611, inscription only.
In nave—(3) to Henry Smith , Alderman of
London, two inscriptions only; (4) to John Powell,
1611, inscription only. Monuments and Floor-slab.
Monuments: In N. aisle to chancel—(1) of Henry
Smith, 1627, painted mural monument (Plate 11)
of marble, with kneeling figure of man in
long fur-lined robe, holding skull in hands
and kneeling at prayer-desk in round arched
recess flanked by Ionic columns supporting an
entablature with two putti and cartouche-of-arms above; (2) of Susanna (Hayward), wife
of John Powel, 1630, wall-monument of alabaster
and black marble retaining traces of gilt and
colour, with figure of woman, in long cloak,
ruff and widow's veil, kneeling at prayer-desk in
recess draped with curtains and flanked by Corinthian columns supporting entablatures with cornice
carried over shield-of-arms; above, strapwork
panel with lozenge-of-arms. In N. aisle—on E.
wall, (3) to John Powell, 1611, alabaster and black
marble tablet with flanking pilasters supporting
entablature, and flanked by defaced figures of
children, cartouche-of-arms at top; on W. wall,
(4) to Thomas Moseley, 1681, his son-in-law, William
Taton, and grandchild, white marble tablet.
Floor-slab: In S. aisle—to Elizabeth Plume, 1703.
Plate: includes cup, of 1707, repaired or remodelled,
with inscription on foot dated 1634, cover-paten
inscribed with date 1634, cup of 1707 with cover-paten, paten of 1703, and two flagons of 1630.
a(6). Huguenot Burial Ground, between East
Hill and North Side, Wandsworth Common, about
½ m. E. of All Saints' Church, contains the
following Monuments—(1) to Matthew Hebert,
1703, table-tomb of brick with moulded stone top;
(2) to Daniel Torin, 1700, John Malegoe and others,
table-tomb of brick with recessed stone panels at
sides and ends, and stone top; (3) to William and
George Pearce, both 1687, head-stone; (4) to
Elizabeth Stables, 1714, stone slab; (5) to Andrew
Mayer, 1691–2, head-stone.
a(7). Roehampton House and garden wall are
in the parish of Putney and stand on the E. side
of Roehampton Lane, about 1½ m. S.W. of (2).
The house is of three storeys with basement;
the walls are of brick, with some freestone dressings;
the roofs are covered with modern slates and lead
The house is a handsome example of early 18th-century work. The details of the saloon and great
staircase are noteworthy.
The house was built from the designs of Thomas
Archer between 1710 and 1712, and originally
consisted of a central rectangular block connected
on either side by graduated arcades to advanced
pavilions standing at right angles to the main
block, the whole forming three sides of a courtyard.
Large modern wings have been added on either side
of the central block behind the quadrants, which
are convex towards the garden, but only slight
evidence remains of the pavilions. (Plate 145).
The W. Front is symmetrically arranged and is of
seven bays with the three middle bays grouped in
a slightly projecting central feature. The angles
are rusticated, the windows, generally, have projecting key-blocks and aprons, and there are brick
bands between the storeys. In the middle is a
stone entrance approached by two flights of stone
steps with an elaborate wrought-iron handrail;
the doorway is flanked by Doric pilasters supporting
an entablature with a broken curved pediment;
above, is a semi-circular window with moulded
archivolt, carved keystone and fluted Corinthian
pilasters on either side supporting an entablature;
the two windows to the top floor are round; the
main cornice is dentilled and surmounted by a
stone balustrade with square moulded balusters
and panelled pedestals surmounted by balls.
Over the side bays only the upper members of the
cornice are continued and have a plain stone band
below; above is a plain brick parapet with a
stone capping, and at either end are stone vases.
The arcaded corridors on either side have round-headed arches with moulded edges and rectangular
brick piers with plain imposts. Above each arch
is a plain recessed panel. The walls are finished
with a moulded stone cornice. The inner walls
have plain pilasters and the corridors are covered
with plastered barrel-vaults. A few yards to the
S.W. of the southern arcade is part of the S. wall
of the S. pavilion, with the lower jambs of a doorway. The E. Front (Plate 148) is generally similar to
the W. front, but in place of a window on the
first floor of the middle bay is a semi-circular niche
with a round head and the cornice above has a
small pointed pediment.
The N. and S. Elevations were largely rebuilt
when the modern additions were made. Such of
the original elevations which remain at either end
have a shallow round-headed recess on each of
the two lower floors and a flat-headed one to the
top floor. The chimney-stacks are rectangular,
with a capping of projecting brick courses.
Interior: The main staircase was placed centrally on the S. side of the house, and a secondary
staircase on the N., but both have been removed.
The Entrance Hall has each wall divided into
bays by fluted Corinthian pilasters which support
an entablature, but only the cornice is continued
round the room, and has modillions above the
pilasters. The walls are panelled and have a
moulded dado-rail; the doorway and windows
have moulded architraves and the doors and
shutters are panelled. The other original rooms
on the ground-floor are panelled in painted deal.
The room above the Entrance Hall is carried up to
the top of the second floor. The walls are completely lined with paintings by Sir James Thornhill,
representing landscapes in architectural framework, and the painting is continued over a cove
to the ceiling, on which is a large subject-piece,
the Gods on Olympus, with trophies-of-arms
in the corners. Over the doors are semi-circular
tympana, enclosed within the moulded architraves
and also painted with trophies. The fireplace
is modern but has an original overmantel shaped
like a truncated pediment with incurved sides and
painted with a trophy. The other rooms on the
first and second floors are lined with painted deal.
A short staircase leading to the roof has a moulded
handrail and turned and moulded balusters. An
old staircase (Plate 7) has been refixed in the
modern N. wing, and is apparently a combination
of the original main stairs and another, probably
the secondary stair, of a slightly later date. The
two flights from the basement to the ground-floor
are the oldest, and have moulded handrails wreathed
on plan at the foot of the stairs and ramped
at the head of each flight, a plain string, turned,
twisted and column-shaped balusters and newels,
at the angles of the landings, of small Doric
columns. The detail of the upper flight is
slightly different. The moulded handrail is of
the same section, but the balusters are more
slender and turned and twisted; the moulding of
the brackets of the string is continued under the
soffit of the staircase, and the end of each riser
is faced with marquetry work; the newels are
similar to those to the lowerflights. The walls have
a panelled dado with moulded capping and fluted
pilasters to correspond with the handrail and newels.
Where this passes across a window space at the
landings it has an open balustrade. Much of the
balustrading in the upper flights is of modern
restoration or addition and the whole of the topmost landing appears to be modern.
The Garden Wall leading E. from the S.E.
corner of the modern S. wing is of early 18th-century date with some modern repairs.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of late 17th-century date and of
two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled.
Condition—Good, unless otherwise stated.
b(8). House, Nos. 25–26 Clapham Common, N.
side, ½ m. S.S.W. of (1), was built as a small
rectangular house with a central chimney. It has
been added to on the S.E. and W., and converted
into two residences. The N.E. half of the front
elevation is plastered; the chimney-stack is
b(9). Range of three houses, Nos. 39–43 Old
Town, on E. side of street, nearly 600 yards S. of
(1), was built c. 1710. The front elevation has
a projecting plinth, a projecting brick band at
the level of the first floor and a wooden eaves-cornice with carved modillions; the windows
have ribbed brick jambs and flat arches; the
entrance doors are modern but the doorcases are
original and of wood with rusticated jambs and
heads and flanking Doric pilasters which support
entablatures and curved pediments; the doorways
of Nos. 41–43 are adjacent and combined under
one pediment; the attics have flat-topped dormer
windows and the chimney-stacks have been partly
rebuilt. Inside, the houses have been slightly
altered but the entrance passages and some of
the rooms have their original panelling with
moulded cornices and dado rails, and the staircases have cut strings with shaped brackets at
the ends of the steps, moulded handrail, twisted
balusters and newels in the form of fluted Doric
b(10). Range of houses and shops, Nos. 45–51
Old Town, on E. side of street, immediately S.
of (9). The northernmost house has been much
repaired and altered, the portion adjoining rebuilt,
and the ground-floors of the southernmost end
converted into shops. The S. end has on the W.
front a modillioned eaves-cornice and in the roof
two hipped dormers; the S. front has brick bands
at the floor-levels; the E. end of this front has
been refaced. Inside the building are some cased
b(11). Shop, 61 Old Town, E. side of street,
50 yards S. of (10), is of plastered timber-framing.
It was built probably early in the 17th century
on an L-shaped plan, with the wings extending
towards the S. and W., and has modern additions
in the angle and on the E. side. A chimney-stack in the N. end of the building is original.
Inside the building the ground-floor at the N.
end has two chamfered ceiling-beams and a spiral
b(12). House and shop, Nos. 55–57 High Street,
about 200 yards S.S.W. of (2), was built as a small
house in the 17th century, the attic was added
at a later date, and it has since been much altered.
At the N. end is an old chimney-stack. Inside
the building is a small length of late 17th-century
balustrading with moulded string and turned
Condition—Good, much altered.
a(13). The Castle Inn, on N. side of Putney
Bridge Road, at E. corner of Brewhouse Lane, has
a wooden modillioned cornice at the eaves.
a(14). Memel Place, range of three tenements,
25 yards N. of (13), has projecting bands of rubbed
brick between the storeys, rubbed brick arches
to the lower windows and wooden modillioned
d(15). Russell House, a few yards S.W. of (3),
is of two storeys with attics and basement. It was
built on a rectangular plan with a central staircase-hall, but has been much altered internally and
had a modern chapel added on the S.E. The
elevations have been, in places, refaced with modern
brick. The S.E. front had a portico with two
Doric columns supporting an entablature with
curved pediment; it has been partly cut into
by the modern chapel; the front is carried up
in two shaped gables. The N.W. front has a
shaped gable with a flat parapet, and at the floorlevels are brick bands. Inside the building one
of the ground-floor rooms has some panelling, an
original overmantel, and a panelled door with
moulded architrave. The staircase (Plate 7)
rises to the first floor in three flights and has
moulded strings and handrail, twisted balusters
and square newel-posts surmounted by carved
half-boars, each holding a shield charged with
d(16). Houses, now shops, Nos. 115–117 High
Street, 60 yards E.N.E. of (3), have been much
d(17). House, now two tenements, No. 131
Greyhound Lane, 1,000 yards S. of (3); the walls
are partly of weather-boarded timber-framing and
partly of brick. It is a small 17th-century cottage
of the central-chimney type with a later S.W.
wing and modern additions at the back.
c(18). House and shops, No. 9 The Broadway,
550 yards N.W. of (4), is of plastered timberframing partly weather-boarded at the back.
It has been much altered, partly rebuilt, and has
a modern addition at the back. The back elevation
has three gables; the chimney-stack is old.
a(19). Swan Inn, 120 yards W. of (5), was built
on a rectangular plan. Alterations include the
addition of a third storey, the refacing of the S.
and E. fronts with modern brick and extensions
at the back. There is one original, but much
restored, chimney-stack. Inside the building the
ground-floor room has a cased ceiling-beam.
a(20). Rose and Crown Public House, on the N.
side of High Street, 30 yards W. of (19), is of
L-shaped plan with a modern addition in the
angle between the wings. The front to High
Street has been refaced, but the modern door-hood
has two original carved and scrolled brackets,
reused. Inside the building a room on the ground-floor has an original fireplace flanked by panelled
pilasters and with a shaped panel on the frieze;
the overmantel has panelled pilasters at the sides
and a large panel in the middle, painted with a
a(21). Factory, on W. side of Frogmore Road,
130 yards N. of (5), is built on an L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards N. and W.
The walls have plain parapets and a brick band.
The E. front has four windows to the ground-floor,
with original frames and a central doorway with
panelled side pilasters. At the N. end is an old
a(22). Cottage, on E. side of Wandsworth Plain,
opposite (21), was built in the second half of the
17th century on a rectangular plan, and has a
modern addition at the back. The N.W. front
has been much refaced and has projecting eaves;
the sides are gabled. At the first-floor level is
a projecting band. The N.W. front has two
transomed and mullioned windows to the ground-floor and five similar windows to the first floor;
in the roof are three hipped dormers.
a(23). House and shops, No. 61 High Street,
on S. side of road, 260 yards E.S.E. of (5), was
originally of central-chimney type but has been
much altered. The chimney-stack is original.
a(24). House, now laundry, Nos. 225–227
Putney Bridge Road, on S. side of road, about
550 yards S.E. of (2), was built early in the 18th
century on an L-shaped plan with wings extending
towards the S. and E., but has been much altered
internally and added to on the S. and W. and at
the W. end of the N. front. The N. front has a
moulded brick band at the first-floor level and a
wooden modillioned eaves-cornice carried up over
the original projecting central bay in a triangular
pediment with enriched mouldings. The central
entrance doorway has a moulded frame, an original
panelled door and a semi-circular coved hood
carried on carved brackets. The windows have
flat brick arches and flush frames.
b(25). Mount Nod, mound in garden on E.
side of Wix's Lane, on the N. side of Clapham
Common, is about 10 ft. high.