5. BISHOPSGATE WARD.
(Within and Without).
Bishopsgate Ward includes the parishes of St.
Botolph Bishopsgate, St. Ethelburga and St.
Helen and parts of the parishes of St. Martin
Outwich, All Hallows Lombard Street and St.
Peter Cornhill. The churches of St. Helen and
St. Ethelburga are the principal monuments.
(1) Parish Church of St. Ethelburga stands
on the E. side of Bishopsgate Street Within. The
walls are of rag-stone rubble with limestone
dressings; the clearstorey and the gables are of
brick; the roofs are covered with tiles. The
church, consisting of Chancel, Nave, South Aisle
and West Annexe, was apparently re-built c.
1390–1400, and there are now no remains of earlier
date. The E. and W. windows were probably
altered late in the 15th century, and the posts of
the West Porch are of the same date. Late in
the 16th and early in the 17th century the houses
adjoining the W. end were built, the present porch
being interposed between them. The clearstorey
was added and the bell-turret re-built in the 18th
century. The church has been restored in 1861 and
1912; the East Vestry is modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel and
Nave (55¼ ft. by 17 ft.) are structurally undivided.
The E. window is of five cinque-foiled lights in a
four-centred head, but has been completely restored.
In the N. wall are four windows with two-centred
heads, all blocked except the easternmost; they
are probably of c. 1400, but the tracery has been
removed. The S. arcade is of about the same
period and of four bays with two-centred, moulded
arches; the columns have each four attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half columns. The clearstorey has no ancient features.
The W. Annexe or vestibule (9 ft. by 17 ft.)
forms, structurally, part of the nave, from which it
is separated by a two-centred arch with responds
similar to the S. arcade of the nave; the arch is
of c. 1400 and was built to support the timber
bell-turret over. In the W. wall is a doorway
of the same date, with moulded jambs and two-centred head; the W. window is probably of late
15th-century date and is of three cinque-foiled
lights in a four-centred head: it is partly blocked.
The clock above is inserted in the opening of a
single-light window of c. 1400. The main timbers
of the lower part of the bell-turret are original; the
upper part is of mid 18th-century date and has an
The South Aisle (9 ft. wide average) has in the E.
wall a modern round-headed window and below
it a modern doorway. In the S. wall are four
windows similar to those in the N. wall of the
body of the church, but only partly blocked;
between the two easternmost windows is a blocked
doorway with a four-centred head.
Church of St Ethelburga.
The West Porch (Plate 63) is formed by the two
adjoining shops and has a modern outer doorway.
Against the W. wall of the church and flanking the
inner doorway are two moulded oak uprights of the
15th century, with portions of panelling in two
heights each with cinque-foiled heads.
Fittings—Chest: In vestry—of iron with straps,
with ornament in middle of front and pierced
panel inside lid, 17th-century. Glass: In chancel
—in N.E. window, achievement of the city of
London (Frontispiece) and arms of the Saddlers' and
Vintners' (Plate 15) Companies in ornamented borders, late 17th-century. In S. aisle—in E. window,
arms of the Mercers' Company (Plate 14), same date.
In easternmost window in S. wall, fragments of 14th-century glass from Ypres Cathedral, made up into
medallions. Monument: In chancel—on N. wall,
to John Cornelius Linckebeck, 1655, plain marble
tablet with architrave, side-pilasters and shield-of-arms. Piscinœ: In chancel—recess with cinque-foiled head and projecting bowl, c. 1400, slab
modern. In S. aisle—in S. wall, with two-centred
cinque-foiled head, c. 1400. Plate: includes cup
and cover-paten, the latter of 1560, cup probably
of same date, flagon of 1694, given the same year,
late 17th-century paten and spoon of 1714 (?).
Weather-vane: On bell-turret—with date and
initials, 1671, S.E. Miscellanea: In nave—let
into N. wall, fragment of stone panelling forming
part of a cusped circle, 15th-century.
(2) Parish Church of St. Helen stands on
the N. of "Great St. Helens," to the E. of Bishopsgate Street Within. The walls are of rag-stone
with free-stone dressings, the roofs are covered
with lead. The Benedictine Nunnery of St.
Helen was founded between the years 1204–16 by
William, son of William the Goldsmith, on a site
adjoining the pre-existing parish church of St.
Helen. The S. wall of the parish nave may
perhaps be of the 12th century, but the only
evidence of this is the easterly position of the S.
doorway and the single buttress on this side which
probably marks the junction of the earlier and later
work. The outer walls of the Nuns' Quire are
apparently of the period of the foundation of the
priory. About the middle of the 13th century
the Parish Nave was altered and perhaps lengthened; probably the Chancel was re-built at the same
time and the South Transept added. Early in
the 14th century the second arch between the
chancel and the Nuns' Quire was built, and shortly
after the W. door of the Parish Nave was inserted.
In 1374, or shortly before, the two chapels of the
Holy Ghost and St. Mary, E. of the S. Transept,
were built with the arcade opening into them.
The E. arch between the Chancel and the Nuns'
Quire was inserted c. 1420, and the arcade between
the Nave and Nuns' Quire is probably the work
of Sir John Crosby or his executors, c. 1475. The
two arches between the Chancel and the S. transept
and Holy Ghost Chapel are of the same date.
The W. door of the Nuns' Quire and the nightstairs from the Dorter are both late 15th-century
insertions, and early in the following century the
N. clearstorey of the Nuns' Quire and the three
windows on the S. of the parish nave were inserted.
The Priory was dissolved in 1538 when the Nuns'
Quire was thrown open to the parish church.
Early in the 17th century the S. window of the
S. transept was inserted, and in 1633 the S. nave
doorway was built and the church generally
restored. The timber cupola over the W. front
was erected early in the 18th century, and in 1799
the E. range of the monastic buildings was removed and the N. wall of the Nuns' Quire made
good. The principal modern restorations took
place in 1864–66, 1891–93 and in 1910. The two
main E. windows and the first four windows of the
clearstorey of the Nuns' Quire are entirely modern,
as are the mullions and tracery of the other windows
together with the external parapets and most of
the roof timbering. Modern Vestries have been
added to the S.W. of the nave.
Priory & Church of St Helen, Bishopsgate.
The Nuns' Quire is remarkable as a complete
example of a church of Benedictine Nuns. Among
the fittings the Oteswich, Crosby, Pickering and
Gresham monuments and the Jacobean woodwork
are all noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Nuns' Quire
(119½ ft. by 26½ ft.) has a modern five-light E.
window. In the N. wall are nine windows; the
first four are modern and placed high in the wall,
the next four are somewhat lower but are kept
above the roof-level of the former cloister outside;
they have three plain pointed lights under segmental-pointed heads of the early 16th century.
The last window is at a lower level and is a small
early 13th-century lancet with widely splayed
jambs much restored. The sills of the three
destroyed windows of similar type are to be seen
externally. At the E. end of the N. wall is an
elaborate squint used also as a monument and
Easter Sepulchre (see fittings) and formerly opening
into the Sacristy. Immediately to the W. of it
is the E. jamb of a blocked doorway, and further
W. a second squint formerly opening to the
Sacristy; it has two openings divided by a mullion,
chamfered jambs and a square head, and bears
traces of the mortices for an iron grille. Halfway up the wall below the third window is a small
square opening with chamfered reveals and
skewed on plan; it must have communicated with
a room above the Sacristy. Further W. is an
early 13th-century blocked doorway (to the
former Sacristy) of two pointed and chamfered
orders, and beyond it is a third squint with chamfered jambs and square head and bearing traces of
grille-mortices. The last two squints are blocked
at the back. Below the fifth window is a small
moulded doorway of late 15th-century date, with a
four-centred head, opening on to a narrow flight of
steps in the thickness of the wall, probably the
night-stairs from the Dorter; two iron pins, for
hanging the door, remain on the W. jamb. The
staircase is blocked above the sixth step. Below
the ninth window is a four-centred relieving-arch,
marking the position of the W. processionalentrance from the Cloister. In the S. wall are two
arches opening into the parish chancel and four
into the parish nave. The E. arch is of c. 1420; it
is moulded and four-centred; the E. respond has
one attached shaft with moulded base and capital
carrying the inner member of the arch-mould;
the corresponding shaft on the W. has been cut short
and now rests on a modern corbel, and the respond
has a second attached shaft on the N. face. Above
the W. half of this arch are traces of the jambs and
segmental-head of an early 15th-century clearstorey window. The second arch is pointed, of
two chamfered orders and of early 14th-century
date, with moulded labels on both faces; the
responds have each a half-octagonal attached
shaft with moulded base and capital, the abaci of
which are continued round the respond. The four
arches (Plate 65) opening into the parish nave are
uniform and of c. 1475; they are moulded and two-centred and spring from piers, consisting of four engaged shafts divided by mouldings; the shafts have
moulded bases and capitals and stand on tall
plinths; the W. respond is of deep projection. In
the W. wall (Plate 49) is a late 15th-century doorway,
with a four-centred arch in a square head with a
moulded label and quatre-foiled spandrels; the
arch with portions of the jambs are original, but the
rest has been restored. Above this doorway is a
five-light window of early 16th-century character,
with a segmental-pointed head; the stonework is
modern but follows the old lines except for the
insertion of a transom. The Ritual Arrangement
of the Nuns' Quire can be determined by the
existing features of the N. wall. The stalls must
have occupied the W. half with a screen across
masking the W. door. The arcade opening into
the parish nave was formerly closed by a partition.
The Parish Chancel (42½ ft. by 22½ ft.) is structurally undivided from the nave. The E. window
of seven lights is quite modern. In the S. wall
are two arches opening into the Holy Ghost Chapel
and the S. transept respectively; they are both
four-centred and of similar character to the nave-arcade.
The Parish Nave (77 ft. by 22½ ft.) has at the E.
end of the S. wall a blocked lancet-window of the
middle of the 13th century and now largely
concealed by the pulpit. Further W. are three
early 16th-century windows, with segmental-pointed heads and moulded internal reveals; they
have each three plain pointed lights, and the sill
of the middle one has a later sill, raised to avoid
the 17th-century S. doorway below it. The S.
doorway (Plate 66) is of Renaissance character, with
a round arch resting on square jambs with moulded
imposts and bases and having three key-stones
inscribed REP 1633. The whole is enclosed within
an eared architrave supporting a frieze, cornice
and pediment. In the centre of the frieze is a
raised panel surmounted by a cherub-head and
inscribed LAUS DEO S HELENA; the ears of
the architrave rest on rusticated pilasters with
moulded capitals and bases. To the E. of this
doorway, traces of the E. jamb and arch of an
earlier doorway are visible externally Below the
last window in this wall is a modern doorway to
the vestry. In the W. wall is a 14th-century pointed
doorway with a moulded arch and jamb-shafts
with moulded capitals and bases; only a few stones
of the jambs are original. Above it is a five-light
window of early 16th-century character, with
segmental-pointed head and plain pointed lights
all restored on the old lines.
The South Transept (26½ ft. by 22 ft.) has a late
14th-century eastern arcade of two bays opening
into the chapels of the Holy Ghost and St. Mary,
the arches are two-centred and deeply moulded
and spring from a pier consisting of four engaged
shafts with moulded capitals and bases, divided by
hollow chamfers; the responds have attached
half-piers. Above the arcade is a modern timber
clearstorey. In the S. wall is a Jacobean Gothic
window, incorporating older material and of three
cinque-foiled lights under a two-centred head.
The upper part of the wall is set back and in it is
a small restored window, partly concealed by the
modern roof-boarding. Adjoining the S. respond
of the chapel-arcade is a small pointed doorway
with chamfered reveals, of uncertain date, opening
into a circular stairway enclosed in a semi-octagonal
turret and leading to the leads. In the W. wall are
two tall blocked lancet-windows of mid 13th-century date; the internal splays of the northern
are exposed, but the other is entirely blocked.
The Chapel Aisle (16¾ ft. wide) E. of the S.
Transept had an altar of the Holy Ghost in the
northern half and probably one to St. Mary the
Virgin in the southern. In the E. wall are two
pointed, three-light, traceried windows of late
14th-century character but almost entirely modern
restoration. Two windows, blocked, except in
the head, pierce the S. wall; they are of similar
character much restored and are enclosed under a
wall-arcade of two pointed and moulded arches,
resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals
and bases, standing on a stone bench and all much
The Roofs throughout are of tie-beam construction and are partly ancient, including several
of the principals and purlins of the Nuns'
Quire, which are of the 15th century; the tiebeams are moulded and rest on curved and
chamfered supports at either end. The roofs were
repaired in 1920.
The Monastic Buildings lay on the N. of the
Nuns' Quire and followed the usual disposition.
They have been completely destroyed. The
Cloister (about 70 ft. square) was conterminous
with the church at the W. end and the weathering
course of its pent roof is visible for the whole of
its length, on the exterior of the Nuns' Quire.
To the east and adjoining the church was the
Sacristy. The demolition of the adjoining building in 1922 revealed remains of this building, which
had a western division of two bays and an eastern
of one bay, both of early 13th-century date. The
western division has the springers of a ribbed vault,
resting on moulded corbels. Between the two
divisions is the S. respond of an arch with two
attached shafts on the E. side; in the S. wall of
this bay is a broad recess with a two-centred arch.
Remains of the walls of the Chapter House were
also found and are indicated on the plan.
Fittings—Altar: in St. Mary's chapel, slab of
dark marble, repolished, with modern consecration crosses, found under floor. See also Monument (11). Brasses: In Nuns' Quire—at E. end,
(1) of John Leventhorp, 1510, armed figure with
foot-inscription; at W. end, (2) to Elizabeth,
wife of John Robinson, 1600, inscription and
shield; in S. transept and chapel-aisle—(3) small
figure of priest in academical robes, c. 1500, inscription lost (formerly in St. Martin Outwich); (4) of
Nicholas Wotton, 1482, rector of St. Martin Outwich, small figure of priest in academical robes
and foot-inscription (formerly in St. Martin
Outwich); (5) of lady, c. 1535, in heraldic cloak,
bearing a lion wounded in the shoulder, inscription lost; (6) of Thomas Wylliams, 1495, and wife,
Margaret, figures in civil dress and foot-inscription;
(7) of Robert Rochester, 1514, figure in armour
with SS collar, and foot-inscription; (8) to
Robert Cotesbrook, 1393, inscription only; (9) to
Thomas Wight, 1633, inscription and shield; (10) of
civilian and wife, c. 1465. See also Monument (9).
Coffin: In Nuns' Quire—at W. end, of stone,
probably 13th-century. Communion Table: In
Holy Ghost Chapel, with twisted legs and inlaid
top, early 18th-century (from St. Martin Outwich).
Doors: In parish nave, S. doorway—oak doors
(Plate 66) in two folds with raised panels having
round-headed sinking, in perspective, in each;
impost moulding continued across leaves; middle
style with raised 'jewel' ornament and ribs;
round head with terminal pilaster in middle and
scrolls at sides; door-case or lobby within (Plate 67),
with arch bearing angels with shields in spandrels
and square-headed doorway under with bold shell-ornament in tympanum and flanked by Ionic
pilasters, supporting a cornice and broken, scrolled
pediment; on it two gilt angels holding an escutcheon of the royal (Stuart) arms, c. 1633; to
W. doorway—oak outer doors and door-case of
lobby, similar to last, lobby-doorway, square-headed and surmounted by carved escutcheon with
foliage-festoons and amorini as supporters, at each
side a fluted Corinthian column supporting a cornice
and broken, scrolled pediment; doors, two folds,
upper panels carved with perspective arches,
c. 1633. Easter Sepulchre: In Nuns' Quire, E. end
of N. wall, in form of an altar-tomb (Plate 69) with
marble slab, moulded round edge, in front of base,
six openings with cinque-foiled heads forming a
stone grille and at back, flush with face of wall,
a further series of five square-headed openings
divided by moulded mullions, all openings skewed
and forming a squint to the former Sacristy; above
the slab a recessed and panelled wall-canopy with
side shafts, a horizontal foliated cornice and a
cresting of Tudor flowers. On the outside of the
wall a blocked segmental-pointed arch, formerly
the northern opening of the squint; this structure
formed also the monument of Joan Alfrey, 1525.
Font and Font-cover (Plate 11): Font, marble
baluster-type with red shaft, cream-coloured necking and base and black pedestal and bowl, possibly
that purchased in 1632. Font-cover, oak, octagonal,
with panelled sides, dentilled cornice and ribbed
ogee capping, same date. Funeral-helm: In
Nuns' Quire—at E. end, late 16th-century piece,
made up. Glass: In Nuns' Quire—N. clearstorey,
fifth window—angel holding a shield-of-arms,
17th-century; seventh window, shields of the
City, Leathersellers' Company and Raynton (?),
17th-century, with other fragments, 15th and
early 16th-century. In S. transept—E. clearstorey,
eleven shields much renewed, late 17th-century. In
Holy Ghost Chapel—E. window, seven shields,
much restored, of (a) the City, (b) sable a cheveron
ermine between three rams passant argent, for Crosby
(Plate 15), (c) Crosby's Merchant's Mark (Plate 15),
(d) Grocers' Company (Plate 15), (e) azure a fesse
cotised argent, for Crosby's first wife, Agnes, (f)
barry wavy argent and azure a chief gules with three
bezants therein, for Astry (Plate 15), (g) Crosby impaling (e), late 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In Nuns' Quire—E. end, (1)
to Sir Thomas Gresham, 1579, altar-tomb (Plate
19), marble, with plain dark slab and fluted sides,
having a carved achievement in the centre of
each; (2) to Julius Cæsar Adelmare, 1636, Judge
of the Court of Admiralty, altar-tomb with plain
sides and black marble slab (Plate 127), with inscription on alabaster, let into the surface and in
the form of a deed with a large seal attached,
monument by Nicholas Stone; on the E. wall,
(3) of Sir Andrew Judd, 1558, founder of Tonbridge
school, small tablet with kneeling figures of man
and wife, four sons and one daughter, with Corinthian columns, entablature and shield-of-arms;
on N. wall, (4) to William Finch, 1672, and Esther
Finch, 1673, marble tablet with Ionic side-columns,
entablature, broken pediment and two shields-of-arms; (5) of William Bond, 1576, alderman,
marble wall-monument with kneeling figures of
man and wife, six sons and one daughter in
two bays divided and flanked by Corinthian
columns with entablature, pediment and three
shields-of-arms; (6) of Martin Bond, 1643, marble
wall-monument with figure represented seated in a
tent flanked by Composite columns with entablature, segmental pediment and shield-of-arms; (7)
to Valentine Mortoft, 1641, plain marble tablet with
Corinthian side columns, entablature, segmental
pediment and shields-of-arms; (8) to Henry
White, 1702–3, marble cartouche with cherub-heads
and shield-of-arms; (9) to [Hugh Pemberton,
1500, merchant taylor and alderman] altar-tomb
(Plate 19) of dark marble with panelled front and
ends, slab with moulded edge and marble canopy
resting on buttressed shafts at the outer angles
and engaged shafts at the back, in front three
cusped segmental arches, with moulded pendants
and crocketed ogee labels, a similar arch at each
end, faces of canopy above panelled and finished
with a moulded cornice and cresting of Tudor
flower, soffit with panelled vaulting in three bays,
on wall at back, a slab with brass indents of two
groups of kneeling figures, seven sons of one group
remain with one scroll and two shields bearing
the arms—a cheveron between three buckets, for
Pemberton, impaling checky three martlets on a
fesse and the ancient arms of the Merchant Taylors'
Company, other parts of brass missing (formerly
in St. Martin Outwich); (10) to John Robinson,
1599, alderman, marble wall-monument (Plate
22) with kneeling figures of man and wife
with nine sons and seven daughters under a
double arch with Corinthian side columns and four
shields-of-arms; (11) plain altar-tomb against
wall with marble slab chamfered on the lower
edge, possibly an altar-slab, uncertain date. Under
E. arch of arcade between Nuns' Quire and Chancel,
(12) to [Sir William Pickering, 1574], marble altar-tomb or sarcophagus (Plates 72–74) with recumbent
effigy in Elizabethan armour, on a rush mattress;
over it a double-arched canopy resting on three
pairs of Corinthian columns supporting entablature,
arches and semi-circular barrel-vaults with coffered
soffits, cornice and pierced cresting above; resting
on centre of canopy, a moulded pedestal supporting
a carved achievement of the Pickering arms and
facing both ways; round the monument a wrought-iron rail, with buttressed standards having twisted
and ball-topped pinnacles; under the third arch
of arcade between Nuns' Quire and parish nave,
(13) to William Kirwin, 1594, and Magdalen his
wife, 1597, small altar-tomb with panelled sides
bearing three shields-of-arms; round the tomb a
plain wrought-iron rail. In the parish nave—on
first pier, N. side, (14) to Sir William Pickering,
1542, and Sir William Pickering, his son, 1574,
enriched marble tablet; under first arch on S. side,
(15) to [Sir John Crosby, 1476, and Agnes his first
wife] altar-tomb (Plates 70–72) of Sussex marble,
with moulded slab and panelled sides and ends,
each main panel richly cusped and having a shield-of-arms much defaced—E. end, the Staple of Calais,
N. and S. sides a fesse cotised, Crosby, and Crosby
impaling a fesse cotised, W. end, the Grocers'
Company, on the slab two recumbent effigies in
alabaster, man in armour with Yorkist collar of
suns and roses and feet on griffon, lady with
"butterfly" head-dress, elaborate necklace, and
feet on two dogs. In parish nave—on S. wall (16)
to Richard Staper, 1608, alderman, marble wall-monument (Plate 22) with small kneeling figures
of man and wife, five sons and four daughters and
three shields-of-arms (formerly in St. Martin Outwich); (17) to Sir John Spencer, 1609, and his wife
Alice (Bromfield), altar-tomb (Plates 73, 75), by
Nicholas Johnson, against wall with panelled front
and recumbent effigies of man in armour with long
cloak and ruff, and of lady, at their feet figure of a
daughter at a prayer-desk; at each end of tomb a
large obelisk and, behind, a wall-canopy of two
arches with cherub-head key-stones and five
shields-of-arms, finished with an entablature
supporting an achievement of the Spencer arms;
(18) to Abigail [wife of Sir John] Lawrence,
1682, plain marble altar-tomb supporting a tablet
with urn. In S. transept—on S. wall, (19) to
Thomas Langham, 1700, marble tablet with
Corinthian pilasters and two shields-of-arms; on
W. wall, (20) to Gervash Reresby, 1704, marble
cartouche with drapery, cherub-heads and achievement-of-arms; (21) to Rachel (Lawrence) wife
of Charles Chambrelan, 1687, large marble tablet
(Plate 25) with cherubs, urn and shield-of-arms.
In Holy Ghost Chapel—(22) said to be of John
de Oteswich and wife, late 14th-century, modern
altar-tomb with two recumbent effigies (Plate
71) in alabaster, man in cloak with long
baselard at left side, woman with buttoned
sleeves and veiled head-dress (formerly in St.
Martin Outwich). In churchyard—(23) to Joseph
Lem, 1686, altar-tomb with shield-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In Nuns' Quire, (1) to William Finch
 with shield-of-arms; (2) to James Stanier,
1663, with shield-of-arms; (3) to George Finch,
1710, with shield-of-arms; (4) to Edward Berkeley,
1669, with shield-of-arms; (5) to William Drax,
1669, with shield-of-arms; (6) to [Sir Martin]
Lumley ; (7) to Henry Raper, 1674–5,
with shield-of-arms; (8) to George Briggs, 1663–4,
with shield-of-arms; (9) to . . . Edwards and Jane
his wife, with shield-of-arms, early 18th-century;
(10) to Sarah Tryon, 1686, with shield-of-arms;
(11) to [Thomas] Chamberlin, 16–4; (12) to George
Kellum, 1672, with shield-of-arms. In parish
nave—(13) to Mary, second wife of Edward Backwell, 1670; (14) to Joane, wife of Frederick Debousy,
1649; (15) to John Jourdain, 1706 (?); (16) to
Maj. Gen. George Kellum. In Holy Ghost Chapel
—(17) to Regina and Lucie, daughters of John
Woolfe, 1691–2; (18) to John Tufnell, with shield-of-arms, late 17th-century; (19) to . . . and
Hester his wife and four sons, 1640. Niches:
In St. Mary's Chapel—E. wall, six, four in two
tiers to N. of E. window and two on S., all with ogee
heads much restored, late 14th-century. Piscinæ:
In parish nave—E. end S. wall immediately W. of
rood-screen, plain pointed head, bowl destroyed,
13th-century; in chapel-aisle, S. transept—in E.
wall, two with square cinque-foiled heads and
shelves, one drain, much restored, late 14th-century. In sacristy—in S. wall, with chamfered
jambs, shouldered head and round drain, 13th-century. Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten
of 1570, silver gilt, inscribed "St. Helens 1570";
a paten of 1620, silver-gilt; a pair of flagons of
1632 with the Lumley arms; a cup and cover-paten of 1634, silver gilt; a large pate nof 1638
and a large bowl of 1647. Poor-box: In parish nave
—at W. end, of oak, late 18th-century, resting
on Jacobean terminal figure, c. 1620. Pulpit
(Plate 79): oak panelled, hexagonal, ornamented
with strap-work, cherub-heads and the "Agnus
Dei," early 17th-century; sounding-board over,
with panelled soffit and bay-leaf foliage, possibly
rather later. Rainwater-heads: one at E. end.
one on S. side, two at W. end, lead, late 17th-century. Stalls (Plate 42): now in parish chancel,
formerly those of the nuns, seven on the N. and six
on the S., of oak with arm-rests carved with grotesques, 15th-century, the stall-fronts with pierced
carving and enriched ends, early 17th-century.
Sword-rest: In parish chancel, S. side (Plate 44),
oak with two Corinthian wreathed columns and
arms of the City, Lawrence, and the royal (Stuart)
arms with date 1665. Tiles: In Holy Ghost Chapel
—a few slip-tiles with geometric patterns, fleur-delis, etc. Miscellanea: In S. transept—incorporated
in organ-case, two carved brackets at the back
having cherubs with trumpets, late 17th-century.
Fragments: In Nuns' Quire at W. end, two cases
filled with various fragments, moulded stone, tiles,
pottery, etc. In St. Mary's Chapel—small alabaster
seated female figure, holding a book; in S. transept
on S. wall, marble fragment from the Clitheroe
monument and piece of Moorish ornament found
under the Bernard monument, probably 15th-century.
(3) Parish Church of St. Botolph, on the W.
side of Bishopsgate Street Without, was re-built
in 1725–29 on the site of the original church. It
contains, from the former building, the following:—
Fittings—Monuments: In sanctuary—on N.
wall, (1) to Andrew Willaw, 1700, marble cartouche with drapery, flowers, cherub-heads and
shield-of-arms; on S. wall, (2) to John Tutchin,
1658, marble draped tablet with skeleton, cherubs
and shield-of-arms. On N. Gallery-staircase,
(3) to Sir Paul Pindar, 1650, large marble tablet,
with pilasters, entablature, pediment and urn.
(4) House and Shops, No. 74, on the E. side
of Bishopsgate Street Within and flanking the
porch of St. Ethelburga, are of two storeys and
of plastered timber-framing; the roofs are lead-covered. They were built, according to the parish
books, in 1577 and 1615 respectively but have no
ancient features. The house extends over the
(5) Leathersellers Hall, on the N.E. of St.
Helen's Place, is a modern building but contains
two small lead cisterns, one dated 1671.
(6) House, No. 19, on the W. side of Gracechurch Street, 25 yards N. of Lombard Street, in
the parish of All Hallows Lombard Street, is of
three storeys with cellars; the walls are of brick.
It was built late in the 17th century, but has been
much altered. Inside the building the staircase
from the first to the second floor is original and has
heavy turned balusters, square newels, moulded
hand-rail and string. The N. room on the second
floor has original panelling and a moulded architrave and cornice to the fireplace; above it is a
bolection-moulded panel flanked by festoons of
fruit and flowers.
(7) Sign on house, No. 4, on W. side of Corbet
Court, Gracechurch Street, 40 yards S.S.W. of St.
Peter's Church. The sign is of stone and consists
of a round-headed niche with a half-figure of a
Virgin, for the Mercers' Company, and the date
(8) Chimney-piece in the Bank of Scotland, No.
30, on the S.E. side of Bishopsgate Street Within.
The chimney-piece (Plate 76) was re-set in its
present position on the demolition of a house
standing on part of the site. The fireplaceopening is flanked by diminishing pilasters of stone
with Ionic capitals, supporting an entablature.
In the frieze, above the pilasters, are black marble
insets and above the opening is a cartouche
flanked by carving. The oak overmantel is divided
into three bays by Doric columns with enriched
pedestals and supporting an entablature; the
main bay has a central panel with subsidiary
panels and a boss in the middle bearing the initials
and date C.B. 1633; the side bays have each
an arch in perspective.
(9) House, No. 282, on the E. side of Bishopsgate Street Without, 420 yards N.N.E. of St.
Botolph's church, is of four storeys with cellars.
The walls are timber-framed and plastered and the
roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century,
but has been much altered and a shop-front
inserted. On the W. front the upper storeys
project, and between the two top storeys is a
moulded cornice. There is a bay-window, fitted
with modern sashes, projecting from the first and