Coleman Street Ward

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1929

Pages

71-76

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Coleman Street Ward', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London, Volume 4: The City (1929), pp. 71-76. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120254 Date accessed: 21 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

12. COLEMAN STREET WARD.

Coleman Street Ward includes the parishes of St. Stephen Coleman Street and St. Olave Old Jewry and part of the parish of St. Margaret Lothbury. The churches of St. Margaret Lothbury and St. Stephen Coleman Street are the principal monuments.

Ecclesiastical

(1) Parish Church of St. Margaret stands on the N. side of Lothbury. The walls are faced with Portland stone except on the N. and W. sides, where they are partly covered with cement; the roofs are covered with lead. The older church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and was re-built by Sir Christopher Wren in 1686–95, at a cost of £5,340 8s. 1d., and probably on the old plan with Renaissance detail. Part of the old W. wall with a wide segmental foundation-arch still remains below the floor-level. There are modern vestries on the N. side of the church.


Church of St Margaret Lothbury.

Church of St Margaret Lothbury.

The woodwork of the church is noteworthy, especially the screen, pulpit, etc. The large number of fittings is accounted for by the fact that this is the church of several united parishes whose churches have been pulled down within the last century and a half.

Architectural Description—The church consists of a rectangular body with a canted E. end (70 ft. average by 40½ ft.), south aisle (13¾ ft. wide) with a vestry at the E. end and a tower (11 ft. by 12 ft.) at the W. end.

Elevations—The E. Elevation has a moulded cornice and a plain parapet. At the clearstoreylevel are three round windows, the middle one now blocked; lower down are three blocked round-headed windows, with architraves and the middle window with jamb-pilasters in addition. The N. Elevation has four round-headed windows with four round clearstorey-windows above them, all with moulded architraves; the wall is partly hidden by modern vestries, in one of which is a doorway with architrave and cornice. The S. Elevation (Plate 2) is finished with a cornice and a balustraded parapet; the E. bay has a square window with a round window above it and both with moulded architraves; the next three bays have each a round-headed window with a moulded and eared architrave. The clearstorey has a cornice, plain parapet and four round windows with architraves. The W. bay of this elevation is occupied by the Tower, which is four stages divided by bands and surmounted by a spire. The ground-stage has in the S. wall a square-headed doorway with a moulded architrave; flanking it are Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with a panelled soffit and pediment; above the door-head is a carved cherub-head, flanked by swags. In the W. wall is a square-headed doorway, with architrave and cornice and above it is a round window. The second stage has in the S. and W. walls a round-headed window with a moulded architrave, the S. window surmounted by carved swags. The third stage has a round window in the N. wall. The bell-chamber is surmounted by a heavy cornice and has in each face a segmental-headed window with an eared architrave, keystone and plain mullion. The lead-covered spire consists of a high moulded base, a lantern of quadrant section with a round-headed opening in each face and a spire proper of obelisk form surmounted by a ball and vane; the whole spire is square on plan. The W. Elevation has a plain parapet and three round-headed windows; the middle one is blocked and has an architrave and jamb-pilasters; above the side windows are round windows.

Interior—The body of the church has three round-headed recesses in the E. wall and is divided into three bays from N. to S. and five from E. to W. by Corinthian pilasters, except where their places are taken by columns of the same order between the body and the S. aisle; the pilasters and columns support an architrave-moulding from which springs a deep plaster cove, groined back over the clearstorey-windows; an enriched cornicemoulding divides the cove from the flat plaster ceiling. The soffit of the trabeation between the body and the S. aisle is panelled and the S. aisle has a flat plaster ceiling. The S.E. Vestry is of two storeys and has in the W. wall of the lower storey a square-headed doorway. The upper storey has a doorway, with a four-centred head, in the W. wall. The E. and N. walls of the ground-stage of the tower have each a square-headed arch with a moulded architrave. In the W. wall below the floor-level and approached from a coal-cellar is part of the S. jamb of the mediæval W. doorway.

Fittings—all of late 17th-century date unless otherwise described. Bells: three; 3rd by James Bartlett, 1682. Candelabra (Plate 4): three, of brass with balls and two tiers of scrolled branches, two in chancel, from All Hallows the Great, the third beneath the gallery. Chests: In vestibule— (1) iron-bound, early 17-century, from St. Mildred Poultry; (2) of wood, plain with three lock-plates, late 17th-century. Communion Tables: In chancel—(1) with turned and twisted legs and moulded and inlaid top and carved top rail. In S. aisle—(2) with turned and twisted legs, carved and moulded top and moulded rails, from St. Olave Old Jewry. Communion Rails (Plate 38): In chancel—with panelled standards, turned and twisted balusters of two interlacing strands and moulded rails; in S. aisle—now forming lower part of screen, with turned and twisted balusters and carved standards, from St. Olave Old Jewry. Doors: to vestry, to W. doorway of tower, to S.E. vestry and in S. doorway, plain panelled doors. On N. and S. sides of vestibule—two, with elliptical heads containing carved and pierced panels. Font (Plate 12): by Grinling Gibbons (?), white marble bowl of square 'cushion' shape with cherub-heads at the angles and sides carved with figure-subjects in relief—(a) the Temptation in Eden, (b) Noah's Ark, (c) the Baptism, (d) the baptism of Candace's eunuch, baluster-shaped stem, with acanthus-ornament. Cover, of oak, with enriched base, eight carved trusses terminating in cherub-heads and meeting in the middle to support a flaming urn, under trusses a carved dove; from St. Olave Old Jewry. Gallery: at W. end for organ, with plain panelled front, with carved capping; ends brought forward and carried on Doric columns. Lectern: modern framing incorporating pierced and carved panels and brackets. Library: In upper vestry—small collection of theological works, mainly 18th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs: Monuments: On S. wall of aisle—(1) to Ephraim Skinner, 1678, marble tablet with Corinthian side columns, entablature, broken pediment, and two shields-of-arms, from St. Olave; (2) to Sir Nathaniel Herne, 1679, marble tablet generally similar to (1) and with two shields-of-arms, from St. Olave; on S. wall of nave—(3) to Katherine first wife, 1690, and Susanna second wife, 1700, of John Greene, draped marble cartouche with cherub-head and shield-of-arms, from St. Christopher le Stocks; in W. vestry—(4) of Sir Peter le Maire, 1631, bronze bust in armour (Plate 46), painted inscription, from St. Christopher le Stocks. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to George Peryer, 1678, with shield-of-arms; (2) to Edward Hopegood, 1679, Jane his wife, 1677, and Lettice, 1709; Elizabeth, 1658, and Elizabeth, 1665, his daughters; (3) to John Ebsworth, 1699; (4) to . . ., 1683; (5) to Elizabeth, daughter of William Thomas, 1709. In nave—(6) to Henry Chapman, 1700, with shield-of-arms; (7) to Anne daughter of Richard Lund, 1687, and to Elizabeth Lund, 1688, and Thomas Lund, 1690; (8) to Walter Atwood, 1683, with shield-of-arms; (9) to John Palfryman, 1692. In S. aisle—(10) to Anthony Haddon, 1688; (11) to John Sheppard, 1679; (12) name defaced, 169–; (13) to Peryer Bulwer, 1675; (14) to Rebeccah and Hannah, died in infancy, and Mary, 1709, daughters of Joseph Collier. In churchyard—(15) to Edward Sparke, 1693, with shield-of-arms, from St. Olave; (16) to Christopher Flower, 1698. Paintings: on wood panels of Moses and Aaron, now fixed on either side reredos, from St. Christopher le Stocks. Panelling: panelled wainscot all round church, with moulded capping. In W. and N.W. vestries —large amount of panelling from various destroyed churches, made up into cupboards, lockers, etc. In S.E. vestry—original panelling with cornice and a moulded architrave round fireplace, above cornice carved achievement of the arms of James Boddington. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1562; cup and cover-paten of 1567, from St. Olave; paten of 1593, given 1594; paten of 1593, flagon of 1628 and another of 1635, both from St. Martin Pomeroy and given in 1635; two dishes of 1655; two flagons, two cups and two patens, all of 1714 and from St. Bartholomew Exchange. Pulpit: hexagonal, each face with raised panel flanked by carved festoons and surmounted by swags, enriched top and bottom rails, curved base and hexagonal stem with carved panels. Sounding-board, from All Hallows the Great, hexagonal with panelled soffit, enriched cornice, curved pediment in the middle of each side, one surmounted by an eagle, figures of cherubs at angles holding carved festoons, panelled support at back with richly carved scrolls at top. Rainwater Heads, seven in all, of lead, moulded, one on N. wall dated 1687. Reredos (Plate 137): In three bays, middle bay with double enriched, round-headed panel with a carved panel below; cartouche and two cherub-heads above; side bays each with one enriched and one plain panel and a band of carved flowers and foliage at top, side bays flanked by fluted Corinthian columns, supporting entablature, segmental pediment and two urns, cornice continued over middle bay and sides of reredos supported by richly carved scrolls. In S. aisle— reredos from St. Olave Old Jewry, two enriched round-headed panels in middle surmounted by cherub-heads and flanked by coupled pilasters, the inner pair carved with festoons and with acanthus-capitals and the outer pair fluted and with Corinthian capitals; they support an entablature, broken segmental pediment and three urns; in the middle of the frieze is a panel with the Hebrew word Jehovah. Royal Arms: On front of W. gallery—Stuart arms, carved. Screen (Plate 138): from All Hallows the Great, between chancel and nave, of four bays on each side middle doorway, middle doorway flanked by pierced and carved pilasters, standing on pedestals and with carved dove and foliage on the head of each, they support an entablature and broken pediment; the head of the doorway is filled with a large spread-eagle; the side bays are divided by slender double-twisted shafts standing on pedestals and supporting round arches, two to each bay, with carved and pierced spandrels and moulded pendants in the middle; the main cornice has acanthus-enrichment and is ramped up and scrolled against the middle doorway; the third bay from the middle on each side has a broken pediment with a carved cartouche; the screen was given by Theodore Jacobson, but the base is modern. Under W. gallery—of two bays, one on either side central opening, panelled in two heights and divided by panelled pilasters with carved pendants of fruit and flowers. Table: In N.W. vestry—large with turned and twisted legs Miscellanea: There is a considerable quantity of miscellaneous woodwork stored in various parts of the church and made up into modern furniture.


Church of St Stephen, Coleman Street

Church of St Stephen, Coleman Street

Condition—Good.

(2) Parish Church of St. Stephen stands on the W. side of Coleman Street. The walls are probably of rubble but are rendered in cement; the dressings are of Portland stone and the roofs are covered with slates. The older church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and re-built by Sir Christopher Wren in 1674–81, at a cost of £4,020 16s. 6d. The E. end has been altered in modern times.

Among the fittings the communion table and rails, the pulpit and the carving of the Doom are noteworthy.

Architectural Description—The church is a Renaissance building of the simple apartment type, irregularly planned and with a tower within the N.W. angle and a vestry partitioned off at the W. end. The main building is 95½ ft. by 34 ft. at the E. end and 45 ft. at the W. end; the tower is 10 ft. by 11 ft.

Elevations—The E. Elevation has a high panelled plinth, rusticated quoins and an entablature, finished over the middle bay, which projects slightly, with a pediment and a pineapple-ornament. The middle bay has a large round-headed window with a moulded architrave and a carved and scrolled keystone. The side bays have each two raised panels, the upper one finished with a cornice. The N. Elevation is finished with a cornice and plain parapet and has four round-headed windows with architraves; below the westernmost window is a round-headed doorway with architrave and a panel above. The tower, at the W. end, is of four stages divided by moulded bands or cornices. The ground-stage has in the N. wall a round-headed doorway with an architrave and a modern inserted window; the second stage has, in the N. wall, a window similar to those in the church and with a panelled base; in the E. wall is a round-headed window, now blocked. The third stage has in the N. wall a round window with an architrave; in the S. wall is a round-headed recess, at a lower level. The bell-chamber has in each wall a round-headed window with a plain architrave and a projecting base; the tower is finished with a bracketed cornice and a parapet. The timber lantern rests on a square base with sloping sides and has a round-headed arch in each face with impost and key-blocks and a cornice and pediment; above is a square base with a concave capping and a weather-vane. The S. Elevation is finished with a cornice and parapet and has six round-headed windows with architraves; the easternmost window is a sham; below the fifth window is a doorway with an elliptical head, eared architrave and a panel above.

Interior (Plate 140)—The body of the church has a flat ceiling in the middle bounded by a moulded band with a Greek-key enrichment; the sides are coved and groined back over the windows and divided into bays by panelled and scrolled bands; the cove and bands spring from a cornice projecting under each band on a cherub-head and scallop-shell. The E. and S. walls of the ground-stage of the tower have each a round-headed archway with segmental rear-arch; in the W. wall is a segmental-headed recess. The floor of the tower is about 3 ft. below that of the church, which may indicate that its structure is partly mediæval.

Fittings—All of late 17th-century date unless otherwise described. Bells: eight and a clock-bell; 1st to 3rd and 5th and 6th, by James Bartlett, 1693; clock-bell by Anthony Bartlett, 1672. Communion Table and Rails. Table (Plate 43): with moulded top carved with acanthus-ornament, moulded stretchers carved with flowers and raised in a segmental curve in the middle of the long sides; the table is supported at the angles by large carved eagles and in the middle of the front and back is a seated cherub. Rails (Plate 38): with carved and panelled standards, turned, twisted and carved balusters, carved upper and lower rails. Doors: In E. and S. doorways of tower—of two panelled leaves. In turret-doorway to second stage— plain, with strap-hinges. Doorcase to N. doorway—with fluted Corinthian pilasters at sides supporting enriched entablature, with tablet in middle, doorway with plain architrave, carved spandrels and cherub-head; above doorway, carved swags. Font and Cover (Plate 9). Font: of white marble, octagonal reeded and fluted bowl of ovolo-section, baluster-shaped stem with acanthusenrichment. Cover: of oak, octagonal and of pyramidal form, moulded base, reeded sides and moulded and carved capping. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: On S. wall—(1) to Henry, son of Sir Thomas Vernon, 1694, large draped marble tablet above sarcophagus with gadrooned top and brackets below, supporting two cherubs; above are pilasters and entablature, cherub-heads and shield. On N. wall of tower, outside, (2) to Nathaniel Mathew, 1680–1, plain tablet with skull and cross-bones. Floor-slabs: In churchyard—(1) to . . ., 1707; (2) to . . . ., 1685; (3) to John Freeman, 170(5 ?). Panelling: all round church—panelled wainscot, in three heights, with moulded capping. Paving: within communion-rails, of black and white marble squares. Plate: includes two flagons of 1630, two cups and patens of 1624, one cup and paten of 1630, two patens of 1705, a dish of 1690 and a spoon of 1706. Pulpit: of oak, hexagonal with moulded and carved cornice and base, each face with raised and carved panel surrounded by scrolled acanthus and palm-branch carving, stem and stair modern. Reredos: of oak and of five bays, middle bay with two round-headed and enriched panels containing the Decalogue, foliage and cherub-heads in spandrels, moulded and enriched sill and panel below, middle bay flanked by fluted Corinthian columns supporting an enriched entablature continued over the side bays, side bays panelled and separated by Corinthian pilasters, panels of inner bays painted with figures of Moses and Aaron, carved panels of outer bay with Creed and Lord's Prayer; supporting sides of reredos, two large carved scrolls. Royal Arms: On gallery-front—Stuart arms carved and painted. Seating: some pews made up of old material cut down and altered, upper panels of front pews filled with pierced carving; churchwardens' pews, at back of church, with pierced and carved frieze-panels. Staircase: To W. gallery— with moulded rails and strings and twisted balusters, now painted. Miscellanea: six pierced and carved panels incorporated in modern reading-pew. Enclosing space in vestibule—rails with carved and twisted balusters, moulded rails and carved standards.

The S. Churchyard is entered by a gateway flanked by rusticated stone piers with entablatures and ball-terminals; between the piers at the level of the entablature is a deep lintel with a sunk panel and filled with a carving, in wood, of the Last Judgment (the original (Plate 140) is now preserved in the vestry, the one on the gate being a plaster cast), above the panel is a segmental pediment enclosing a skull and cross-bones; the gateway has the date 1780 at the back, apparently that of a repair.

Condition—Good.

(3) Parish Church of St. Olave stands on the W. side of Old Jewry and between it and Iron monger Lane. The walls of the W. front and tower are faced with Portland stone. The old church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and re-built by Sir Christopher Wren in 1670–79, at a cost of £5,580 4s. 10d. The church, with the exception of part of the W. front and the tower, was pulled down in 1888 and the remains now form part of the vicarage of St. Margaret Lothbury.

Architectural Description—The W. Front (Plate 147) forms the W. wall of the modern house and has three windows on either side of the tower, all modern except the first-floor window on each side, which is round-headed and has a moulded architrave. The W. Tower, placed centrally against the W. front, is of three stages. The ground-stage has in the N. and S. walls a modern window; in the W. wall is a square-headed doorway flanked by engaged Doric columns with separate entablatures and a segmental pediment; the soffit of the pediment is carved with a cherub-head and two rosettes. Between the first and second stages is a deep band moulded on the under side. The second stage has in the W. wall a round-headed window with a moulded architrave. The N. and S. walls had each a semi-domed niche corresponding to the W. window and now pierced by modern windows; between this stage and the bell-chamber is a deep cornice. The bell-chamber has in each wall a round-headed window with a moulded architrave, plain key-block and stone mullion and transom; the E. and W. windows are blocked; below the S. window are two segmental-headed windows, probably modern. The tower is finished with a bracketed cornice and a plain parapet with pedestals at the angles supporting obelisks.

Condition—Good.

Secular

(4) Armourers' and Brasiers' Hall stands on the S. of London Wall and E. of Coleman Street and is a modern building. In the Hall are two carved wood cartouches with the arms of St. George and the Armourers' Company and in the corridor a carved cartouche of the City arms, all of late 17th-century date.

(5) House, No. 1, on the S. side of Church Court, 20 yards W. of Old Jewry, is of three storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with slates. It was built late in the 17th century, but has been much altered. Both the front and back elevations have brick bands between the upper storeys; the windows have flush frames and square heads of rubbed brick. Inside the building, the staircase, from the first floor upwards, is original and has turned balusters, square newels with moulded caps and pendants, straight moulded strings and hand-rails.

Condition—Fairly good.



<--Previous:
Cheap Ward
Next:-->
Cordwainer Ward