2. BETHNAL GREEN.
(O.S. 6 in. London, Sheet K.)
The Borough of Bethnal Green consists of the
parish of St. Matthew, Bethnal Green.
(1) Parish Church of St. Matthew, re-built in
1740, contains from the older chapel the following:—
Fittings—Plate: includes flagon of 1635 given
by Major W. Leech, cup of 1635, given in 1746,
cover-paten of 1681, and a beadle's staff dated
1690 and with a medallion of a blind beggar and
(2) Netteswell House, on the S. side of Old
Ford Road, at the W. corner of Victoria Park
Square, is of two storeys with cellars and attics;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It
would appear to have been built in the second
half of the 17th century and perhaps altered early
in the 18th century. An inscription over the
doorway gives 1553 as the date of the original
building, and 1705 and 1862 as the dates of restorations; there is no surviving work attributable to
the first of these dates. The S. front (Plate 4) has
bands between the storeys and is finished with two
shaped gables terminating in pediments. The E.
side has a coved eaves-cornice of plaster. Inside
the building, the staircase from the first floor to
the attics is of c. 1700 and has straight moulded
strings and hand-rails; the turned balusters on
the landing are of the same date; the stairs to the
cellar have similar turned balusters. In the
attics are two early 18th-century battened doors.
(3) Houses, Nos. 16, 17 and 18 on the E. side
of Victoria Park Square and 110 yards S.S.E. of
(2), are of two storeys with cellars and attics.
The walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled.
They were built, as a range, c. 1700, but No. 16
has been entirely altered internally. The W. front
has a brick band between the storeys, a wooden
modillioned eaves-cornice and dormer-windows.
Nos. 17 and 18 have each an original doorway
(Plate 10), with moulded architrave flanked by
pilasters with carved and scrolled brackets, supporting a flat hood with a panelled soffit. Inside
the building, the same two houses have each an
original staircase (Plate 24) with bracketed strings,
twisted balusters and heavy moulded hand-rail
ramped up over the square newels which have
ball-terminals. Above the first-floor level the
strings are moulded and straight. The E. room
on the ground floor of No. 17 is lined with bolection-moulded panelling, with dado-rail and cornice;
the doors have moulded architraves; the N.W.
room has some moulded panelling. In the cellars
of the same house are some chamfered ceilingbeams and two original panelled doors; on the
first floor two rooms have moulded panelling.
(4) Range of seven houses, Nos. 65–76, on the
W. side of Cambridge Road, S. of Northampton
Street, are of two storeys with cellars and attics;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The
range (Plate 5) was built late in the 17th century,
but some modern shop-fronts have been inserted.
The road was formerly called Dog Row and the
range had a row of dog-kennels along the front,
now blocked up and stuccoed. Where original,
the E. front has a brick band between the storeys,
and two windows have old casement-frames. The
roof has a modillioned eaves-cornice and dormer-windows.
(5) Houses, Nos. 3, 5, 7 and 9 Hare Street, and
Nos. 1 to 4 Hare Court, 20 yards E. of Brick Lane,
are of three or four storeys; the walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled. The houses are said to
have been built as tenements for weavers and are
of early 18th-century date. Where original, the
fronts have brick bands between the storeys.
Inside the buildings there are some exposed
(6) Houses, Nos. 15 to 33, on the N. side of
Austin Street, 50 yards N.E. of St. Leonard's
Church, Shoreditch, were originally of two storeys
with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs
are tiled. They were built early in the 18th
century, but have been much altered and some
have added storeys, weather-boarded on the front.
Inside the buildings are some exposed ceilingbeams.