(O.S. 6 in. London, Sheet O.)
The Borough of Camberwell is coterminous with
the civil parish of Camberwell.
(1) Parish Church of St. Giles was entirely
rebuilt in 1844 on the site of the earlier building and
contains the following:—
Fittings. Brasses: fixed on back of quirestalls—(1) of Mighell [Sk]inner, 1497, figure in
civil costume and foot-inscription; (2) of Richard
Skynner, 1407 (should be 1492), and Agnes, his
wife, 1499, headless kneeling figure of man in civil
costume and inscription; (3) of John Scott, 1532,
and [Elizabeth (Skinner)] his wife, kneeling figures
of man in armour and wife at prayer-desks, four
sons (set separately) and inscription; (4) of Edward,
son of John Scott, 1538, with a re-used figure in
armour of c. 1465; palimpsest on inscription an
inscription to John Ratford, 15th-century; (5) of
John Bowyar, 1570, and Elizabeth (Draper) his
wife, 1605, kneeling figures of man and wife, eight
sons and three daughters, and achievement-of-arms (set separately); (6) to Mathye Draper, 1577,
and Sence (Blackwell) his wife, kneeling figures at
prayer-desk, inscription and shield-of-arms of
Blackwell (set separately); (7) to Margaret
(Keleatt) wife of John Dove, 1582, inscription and
shield-of-arms, palimpsest on inscription, part of
border of large foreign brass with two weepers
and part of inscription; palimpsest on shield, part
of foot of a shrouded figure and part of canopystandard; (8) to Thomas Muschamp, 1637, inscription and shield-of arms. Glass: In W. window—
incorporated with modern glass, numerous medallions in grisaille with coloured borders and foliage,
late 13th-century, much restored. Monument: In
churchyard—S.W. of nave, to Sarah, wife of
William Sims, 1700 (?), table-tomb. Plate: includes a cup, probably of 1597, the bowl and base
having representations of drops of blood, the stem
has two flanges, the lower enriched with oak leaves
and acorns; a cup of 1630; a stand-paten of 1632
or 1635 with incised drops of blood, as on the first
cup; a large stand-paten of 1665 given by Theodore Cock; a paten of c. 1630 engraved with drops
of blood and two flagons of 1691, given by John
Byne and each with an achievement-of-arms.
Piscina and Sedilia (Plate 13): in one range of
three bays, divided and flanked by shafted piers, each
bay with a cinquef oiled and sub-cusped arch in a
square head with foiled spandrels and a continuous
moulded and embattled cornice; E. bay narrower
than the others and containing piscina with
quatrefoiled drain; recess of middle bay carried
down to the ground and piers at sides pierced by
small openings with cinquefoiled heads; third
bay with seat and wall at back pierced by a small
window of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil
in a square head, possibly a 'low-side'; late 14th-century, re-set and partly restored.
(2) Church of St. Antholin, on the S. side of
Nunhead Lane, Peckham, is a modern building,
but contains from the destroyed church of St.
Antholin, Budge Row, in the City, the following:—
Fittings. Bells: two, one re-cast and both now
inaccessible. Reredos (Plate 44): of oak and of
three bays with four fluted Corinthian columns on
pedestals and supporting enriched entablatures and
segmental pediments over the side bays, cornice
only continued over the middle bay; in middle
bay, two round-headed panels with enriched
mouldings and inscribed with the Decalogue,
carved cartouche in middle spandrel with the
Hebrew name Jehovah and a cherub-head; other
cherub-heads fixed on cornice; side bays each
with two raised panels, the upper ones inscribed
with the Creed and the Lord's Prayer respectively;
between the capitals of the columns, carved
swags, late 17th-century.
The upper part of the spire of the same destroyed
church is preserved in the garden of Roundhill
House, Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill. It is of
Portland stone and of octagonal form with roll-moulded angles; each face has a carved scallop-shell pierced with a round opening. The spire
is finished with a carved capping surmounted by
a ball and vane. The old church of St. Antholin
was built from the designs of Sir Christopher
Wren in 1678–91 and was pulled down in 1874.
(3) The Old College, Dulwich, stands at the
junction of College Road and Gallery Road. The
College of God's Guift was built by Edward
Alleyn in 1605–14 and originally formed three sides
of a quadrangle, open on the N. side. The E.
range was rebuilt in 1740 and the S. and W. ranges
have been so much altered and re-faced that it is
now impossible to determine how much of the old
work survives. The tower and cloister were added
to the S. range in 1864 and there are modern
additions on the W. side of the W. range. Externally the building is entirely modern except that
the E. window of the chapel, at the E. end of the
S. range, appears to incorporate some old work.
Inside the building, the passage through the S. end
of the W. range retains some original brickwork.
In the chaplain's house, at the W. end of the S.
range, is some re-used original panelling. In the
chapel are the following:—
Fittings. Floor-slabs: (1) to H.A., 1714;
(2) defaced, but said to be that of the Founder,
now re-set vertically in the cloister. Painting:
On N. wall, a copy of Raphael's Transfiguration,
ascribed to Pierino del Vaga (1500–1547). Plate:
includes a cup (Plate 20) of 1599, with chased
bowl and stem, the former with three scallopshells; stand-paten (Plate 20) of 1708, with
cherub-heads, conventional foliage, etc., on
underside the initials and date R.A., D., G.B.
1709; stand-paten of 1671, given by Ralph
Alleyn, fourth master of the college in 1672, with
achievement-of-arms; flagon of 1712, with cartouche-of-arms and the name James Alleyn, 1712;
alms-dish (Plate 20) of 1668, with an enriched
octofoiled bowl having a holy Dove in the middle,
also a silver-headed staff of early 17th-century date
with the monogram E.A.C.R.
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of two storeys with attics; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are tiled. They were
mostly built late in the 17th century, but all have
been more or less extensively altered.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(4) "The Old Manor," house, on the E. side of
Devonshire Street, 20 yards N.E. of Old Kent
Road and 110 yards E. of Christ Church, was
largely re-modelled c. 1720 and an addition made
on the E. side. The elevations have 18th-century
openings, but the N. and S. ends appear to be
original and have brick bands between the storeys
and brick gables. The internal fittings are all of the
High Street, Peckham. S. side:—
(5) Range of Houses, Nos. 56 to 66, 15 yards W.
of Rye Lane, are timber-framed; the two middle
houses are of three storeys and the rest of four
storeys and all have had shops added in front.
The back elevations are weather-boarded. Inside
the buildings are some exposed ceiling-beams.
(6) Houses, Nos. 102 and 104, 110 yards E. of
Rye Lane, are timber-framed, but No 104 has been
re-fronted in brick. No. 102 has a wooden
modillioned eaves-cornice in front, and the same
house has a staircase of the central-newel type.
(7) Houses, Nos. 110 and 112, 15 yards E. of (6),
were built c. 1700; No. 110 is of three storeys.
The back of No. 112 has brick bands between the
storeys. Inside the buildings are some exposed
ceiling-beams, central-newel staircases and 18th-century panelling.
(8) Houses, Nos. 156, 158 and 160, 40 yards W.
of Clayton Road, were built late in the 17th or
early in the 18th century, but have had modern
shops added. The back elevation has a brick band
between the storeys and each house has part of an
original window with solid frame of three lights
and a transom; the window of No. 160 is complete.
Inside the buildings are some exposed ceilingbeams and No. 158 has a central-newel staircase
and an old panelled and battened door.
(9) House, No. 166, 5 yards E. of (8), is of three
storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed,
with some brickwork. It was built in the second
half of the 17th century, but has been much
altered and modern shops added. The N. front
has a cornice above the second-floor windows and
above it are two gables finished with moulded
pediments supported on plain pilasters. Inside
the building, the ground-floor rooms have moulded
ceiling-beams; in the S.E. room are remains of a
wooden overmantel of two panelled bays divided
and flanked by pilasters; within the square
panels are oval panels and the pilasters support a
dentilled cornice. There is some original panelling
and also some 18th-century panelling. On the
first floor the hall and the S.W. room have original
plastered ceiling-beams with guilloche-ornament
on the soffit and rosettes at the intersections. The
original staircase (Plate 27), between the first and
second floors, has turned balusters, square newels and
moulded strings and hand-rail with a grip-moulding
on the top; the N.W. room has a moulded surround
to the fireplace, and both this and the N.E. room
have chamfered ceiling-beams. On the second
floor is an old panelled door to the attic-staircase.
(10) Houses, Nos. 180, 182 and 184, on the N.W.
side of Meeting House Lane, 20 yards N. of High
Street, were built c. 1700. The front has a brick
band between the storeys. Inside the building are
some 18th-century panelling, cornices and beams
and each house has a staircase of central-newel type.
(11) House, Nos. 6 and 10, on the S. side of
Queen's Road at the W. angle of Harder's Road,
was built c. 1700 and is of three storeys with attics.
The front has rubbed-brick bands between the
storeys and the windows have flat rubbed-brick
heads. The windows at the back and sides have
segmental heads. The roof is hipped and finished
with a lead flat. Inside the building is some
18th-century panelling and both tenements have
their original staircases with round balusters and
straight moulded strings.