(O.S. 6 in. London, Sheets (a)P, (b)S, (c)T.)
The Borough of Lewisham includes the civil
parishes of Lewisham and Lee. The principal
monuments are Lewisham Vicarage, Colfe's Almshouses, the chapel of Boone's Almshouses and the
house now called Spencer House and Perceval
a(1) Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin,
on the W. side of the High Street, was re-built in
1775–7 with the exception of the West Tower,
which is of late 15th-century date except the
18th-century top stage; the walls are of ragstone
and flint with freestone dressings.
Architectural Description—The West Tower
(14 ft. by 11½ ft.) is of four stages (Plate 99)
with diagonal buttresses at the western angles, a
chamfered plinth and a stair-turret at the S.E.
angle. It is of late 15th-century date except for
the topmost stage, which is of the 18th-century.
The two-centred tower-arch is of three moulded
orders, the two outer continuous, the inner resting
on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
In the S. wall is the doorway to the stair-turret
with moulded jambs and four-centred arch. The
W. window is modern except the jambs and four-centred arch; below is the W. doorway, also
modern except for the internal splays and four-centred arch. The decayed stones of the former
W. doorway are built up in the Vicarage garden.
In the W. wall of the second stage is a much
restored single-light window with moulded jambs
and three-centred arch under a square moulded
label. The N., S. and W. walls of the third stage
have each a window of two four-centred lights in a
four-centred head with a moulded label; all have
been much restored and those in the N. and S. walls
The floor of the third stage has original beams
Fittings—Brass: In nave—on N. wall, to George
Hatteclyff, 1514, inscription only. Chairs: In
chancel—two with richly carved backs turned legs
and shaped framing, possibly late 17th-century;
in vestry—similar chair, late 17th-century.
Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to Margaret,
wife successively of Jasper Valentine and Abraham
Colfe, 1643–4, plain tablet. In churchyard—on
S. wall of church, (2) to Abraham Colf, minister
of the parish, 1657, plain stone tablet; S. of
chancel, (3) to Mary Lucas, 1698, and John Lucas,
1702, table-tomb; S. of nave, headstones with
skulls, cross bones, etc.; (4) to Richard Evens,
; (5) to Elizabeth, daughter of Richard
Evens, 1710–11. Plate (Plate 19): includes two
flagons of 1646 given in 1686, and a cup of 1684
and paten of 1685 both given in 1686.
a(2) Parish Church of St. Margaret, Lee,
stands in Lee Lane. The church was entirely
re-built in 1839–41 on the opposite side of the road
from the old building, of which only the lower part
of the West Tower remains. The walls of the
tower are of ragstone and flint rubble rendered in
cement and repaired with brick and with limestone
dressings. It was built probably in the 15th
Architectural Description—The West Tower
(7½ ft. by 10¾ ft.) is ruined and heavily covered with
ivy; only the ground and part of the second stage
remain, the latter covered by a lean-to roof. There
are traces on the E. face of the junction of an
aisleless nave and the tower has diagonal buttresses
at the western angles. The tower-arch in the E.
wall is four-centred and of two chamfered orders
continued down the responds; it has been much
repaired with brick and has a modern brick blocking. In the S. wall is a modern opening and in the
W. wall is a blocked window; the N. and S. walls
have each a blocked window with a three-centred
Fittings—In modern church—Brasses: In N.
aisle—on N. wall, (1) to Nicholas Ansley, 1593,
sergeant of the cellar to Queen Elizabeth, kneeling
figure in plate armour with ruff and sword with
panelled prayer-desk in front, all set in a stone
tablet with side pilasters and round arch having a
fluted and reeded border and straps; above is a
plate with achievement-of-arms of Annesley; on
E. wall, (2) of Isabell (Hatteclyf) wife of Nicholas
Annesley, 1582, figure of woman with French cap,
ruff, etc.; palimpsest on back of inscription, the
lion of St. Mark, inscription now on N. wall;
(3) of Elizabeth Couhyll, 1513, figure of woman
with pedimental head-dress and long girdle; (4) to
[Henry] Byrde, 1545, gentleman of the bedchamber, inscription only. Monuments: On old
tower—on E. face, (1) to Bryan Anslye, 1604, and
Awdry (Tirrell) his wife, 1591, plain tablet erected
by Cordell Hervey his daughter; other parts
perhaps of same monument are now fixed at E. end
of N. aisle of modern church and include a cartouche-of-arms and a kneeling figure of a son in
civil dress. In old churchyard, E. of tower, (2) to
Abraham Sherman, M.A., 1654, minister of the
parish, table-tomb with modern sides. Plate
(Plate 19): includes flagon of 1673, given by
Christopher Boone in the same year and with
his arms; Elizabethan cup and cover-paten,
given by Nicholas Annesley in 1593 and with his
arms; large stand-paten probably of 1700 and a
dish probably of 1704.
Condition—Of tower, bad and overgrown with
a(3) Church of the Ascension stands on the E.
side of Dartmouth Row, about 1 mile N.N.E. of
St. Mary's Church, Lewisham. The walls are
probably of brick, but are mainly plastered
externally; the roofs are covered with slates.
The chapel was founded by Mrs. Susannah Graham,
late in the 17th century but before 1695. The
only part of this building which appears to survive
is the apse and a short bay to the W. of it, which
may belong to the original structure. The nave
was built about 1834.
Architectural Description—The Apse is covered
by a plastered semi-dome and has a squareheaded window at each side; a third window, in
the middle, is now blocked. The walls, internally,
have modern decoration and the semi-dome is
coffered with a plaster enrichment in each panel.
Between the apse and the chancel are two fluted
Corinthian columns with pilasters as responds and
supporting entablatures over the side openings;
the middle opening has a round arch with three
cherub-heads on the key-block. The chancel,
forming the adjoining bay on the W., has a segmental plaster ceiling, but the other features are
Fittings—Plate: includes a cup of 1655, and a
foreign 17th-century spoon with a figure of St. Paul
on the handle and a shield and lozenge-of-arms on
Boone's Chapel, Lee.
a(4) Boone's Chapel (Plate 100), now a reading
room, was formerly the chapel of the almshouses
founded c. 1680–3 by Christopher Boone and Mary
his wife. The almshouses were demolished in
1877. The walls are of brick with stone dressings
and the roofs are tiled.
The chapel is an interesting example of its
The elevations are of red brick with rusticated
stone quoins, and three faces are finished with a
modillioned eaves-cornice and pediment. The
main roof is hipped and supports a round timber
cupola with six small columns and as many
segmental arches; it is finished with a cornice and
lead-covered dome. The S. front has a squareheaded doorway with architrave, pilaster-strips
and console-brackets supporting a cornice; the
door is of two leaves, each with four raised panels
externally and three internally. Flanking the
doorway are two round-headed windows, with
moulded architraves and plain imposts and scrolled
key-blocks; above the doorway is an oval window
with moulded architrave and four scrolled keyblocks. The W. elevation has a doorway with a
plain architrave; higher up are three oval windows
similar to that in the W. front, but two of them are
modern. The E. elevation is similar to the W.,
but with a single central oval window only. The
N. elevation has a central projection with rusticated
quoins and a wooden cornice; the window has a
wooden frame with two mullions and a transom;
the middle light is wider than the others and
has a round head rising above the transom, and
a scrolled key-block.
Colfe's Almshouses, Lewisham.
The interior has a plain flat ceiling with a deep
coved cornice round the walls and modelled
cherub-heads in the angles. The recess has an
elliptical arched ceiling (Plate 23) with conventional foliage in the spandrels above the arch
and with five moulded panels on the reveals and
soffit; these panels are filled with foliage-sprays and
three have cherub-heads in addition. The walls
are panelled to more than half their height and
finished with a moulded cornice. On either side
the S. doorway are large panels with capping and
a(5) Colfe's Almshouses, on the W. side of the
High Street, 140 yards S. of Lewisham Parish
Church, are of one storey with attics; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The
almshouses were built in 1664–6 and were
restored in 1907. They form a long rectangular
block with a slightly projecting cross-wing
containing the chapel, in the middle, and
three tenements on either side of it. The
East Elevation (Plate 171) has rusticated quoins of
brick and a brick band above the ground-floor
windows; the cross-wing is carried up above the
eaves and has four oval panels, two to each storey;
the doorway has a semi-circular keyed arch of wood
set in a square head; above this is an enriched
panel with inscription surmounted by a cartouche
with the arms of the Leathersellers' Company and
Colfe. The inscription reads "Ano. decimo sexto
Caroli 2 anoq. dm. 1664. The gift of Mr. Abraham
Colfe, late vicar of this Parish whereof the Company
of Leathersellers in London are according to the
desire of his will by Act of Parliment appointed
Governors and by the said Company the same gift
is enlarged." The windows generally have original
solid frames and the tenement-doors are ledged
and braced. The West Elevation has a large three-light window in the cross-wing, with transoms to
the side lights and a round head to the middle
light. The roofs are all hipped.
a(6) The Vicarage, at the corner of Ladywell
Road and High Street, 120 yards N.E. of
Lewisham Parish Church, is of two storeys
with basement and attics. The walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled. The house was built on
an almost square plan c. 1692–3, and has modern
additions on the N. and W. The South Front
(Plate 1) is symmetrical and has a brick band
between the storeys and a modillioned eaves-cornice; there are four windows on the ground and
five on the first floor, all with solid frames, mullion
and transom; the doorway in the middle has a
moulded architrave and cornice and a pedimented
hood supported on two carved brackets. The
Back Elevation has a coved eaves-cornice and two
original windows. Inside the building the original
staircase has moulded strings and hand-rail and
turned and twisted balusters; the back staircase
has turned balusters also original. The Dining
Room and Inner Hall on the ground floor are
panelled throughout, and between the Hall and
staircase is a panelled elliptical arch with moulded
architrave, resting on panelled pilasters. Other
rooms on the first floor are partly panelled and the
staircase has a panelled dado.
a(7) Pentland House, on the S. side of Old
Road, about 660 yards S. of St. Margaret's, Lee, is
of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls
are of cement-rendered brick and the roofs are
tiled. It was built, probably, early in the 18th
century and has later additions on the E. and W.
The N. front has moulded bands between the
storeys and below the cornice, which is moulded
and coved. The back elevation (Plate 1) is
similar, but the eaves-cornice is incomplete.
Inside the building the staircase on the W. side
of the house has square newels, straight moulded
strings and hand-rails; the space between is
filled with raised panelling; the stairs, from the
second floor to the attic, have turned balusters and
newels with ball-terminals. The main staircase
has moulded strings and hand-rails and square
newels surmounted by fluted vases of fruit and
flowers, perhaps brought from elsewhere and of
late 17th-century date. The N.W. room, on the
first floor, has an enriched plaster ceiling
(Plate 23) with a large central panel having
half-round projections at the ends and surrounded
by a moulded band with modelled fruit and flowers;
in the spandrels are acanthus-scrolls.
a(8) House, now divided and called Spencer
House and Perceval House, on the E. side of Dartmouth Row and N. of the church of the Ascension,
is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls
are of brick with stone dressings and the roofs are
covered with slates and lead. It was built,
probably, c. 1690 and has an 18th-century addition
on the N. side.
The house is an interesting example of its
period and the staircase is noteworthy.
The W. front (Plate 4) has a slightly
projecting central bay with rusticated stone
quoins. The plinth is moulded and there is
a band between the storeys; the eaves-cornice
appears to be of the 18th century. The doorway
(Plate 4) in the central bay has an architrave
and narrow panelled pilasters with scrolled
brackets supporting a cornice: below the cornice
is a frieze carved with scrolled foliage and a mask;
the door itself is of eight panels. The doorway, in
the S. wing, is similar, but has a pulvinated frieze.
The windows have each a stone key-block carved
with a grotesque mask. The E. front has projecting side-wings with rusticated stone quoins,
but otherwise the general arrangement and the
windows are similar to those on the W. front.
Interior—The principal front room on the
ground floor has bolection-moulded panelling in
two heights, with a dado-rail and cornice; the
door has six fielded panels. The main back room
has an enriched cornice with scrolled modillions;
the door is of six panels. The back room in the S.
wing has an enriched cornice. On the first floor
the front room has a door, like that in the room
below, and a moulded marble surround to the
fireplace, with a wooden shelf. The side room,
now part of a staircase, has a moulded cornice.
The back rooms have enriched cornices; the S.
room has a moulded shelf to the fireplace and
panelled linings to the windows. The main
staircase (Plate 26) has moulded strings and handrails, turned balusters and square double-newels set
side by side with panelled faces; the hall has a
simple dado and is paved with marble squares,
At the end of the former garden, now in another
occupation, are two brick gate-piers, with moulded
stone bases and caps and stone scrolls at the sides.
The wrought-iron gate has a scrolled overthrow and
a band of scroll-work at the level of the lock.
a(9) House, No. 20, on the W. side of Dartmouth Row, and 150 yards N. of the church of the
Ascension, is of three storeys with cellars; the
walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with
slates. It was built at the end of the 17th century,
but was altered in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Inside the building, the front room on the ground
floor has panelling in two heights with a dado-rail
and coved cornice. Between the passage and the
hall is a round arch with fluted pilasters on the
responds and moulded imposts; the soffit is
carved with a bird and scrolled foliage. The rooms
on the first floor have plain panelling.
a(10) House, No. 22, adjoining (9) on the S., is
of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are covered with slates.
It was built at the end of the 17th century, but
has been subsequently altered. The E. front has a
doorway with panelled pilasters, scrolled brackets
and a pediment. Inside the building, several rooms
have moulded cornices. Between the hall and the
staircase is a round arch with panelled pilasters
and moulded imposts. The N.E. room, on the first
floor, has plain panelling and a bolection-moulded
surround to the fireplace. The staircase has
close moulded strings, square newels and turned
b(11) Grove House, on the S.E. side of Sydenham Road, about 2 miles S.S.W. of St. Mary's,
Lewisham, is of two storeys with attics and
cellars; the walls are timber-framed and weather-boarded and the roofs are tiled. It was built early
in the 18th century, but was enlarged and re-fitted
later in the same century. The front has a modillioned eaves-cornice. Inside the building, the
E. room in front is lined with simple moulded
panelling in two heights, with dado-rail and
High Street, Lewisham. E. side:—
a(12) House, 291, High Street, 120 yards N.E. of
St. Mary's Church, is of two storeys with attics;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The
house was built late in the 17th century. The
W. front has brick bands between the storeys and
a gable to the northern half of the front.
a(13) Houses, Nos. 311–313, 70 yards S. of (12),
are of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
brick and the roofs are tiled. They were built
late in the 17th or early in the 18th century, but
have been much altered.
a(14) House, two tenements, Nos. 323 and 325,
30 yards S. of (13), is of two storeys with attics; the
walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with
slates. It was built late in the 17th century and
has a later addition at the back. The front has a
brick band between the storeys and two gables.
The central chimney-stack is cross-shaped on plan.
Inside the building is a heavy chamfered beam.
c(15) Bellingham Farm, house (Plate 6) on
the W. side of the road to Bromley and about
1½ miles S. of St. Mary's, Lewisham, is of
two storeys; the walls are of weather-boarded
timber-framing and brick and the roofs are tiled.
It was built late in the 16th or early in the
17th century and has later or modern additions
on the N. and W. The general plan is L-shaped
with the wings extending towards the W. and S.
On the E. side of the S. wing is an original chimney stack (Plate 6) with crow-stepped offsets;
further N. is an original window of three lights with
a moulded frame. Inside the building, a room on
the ground floor of the W. wing has an original
moulded ceiling-beam, and another room has a
cupboard-door of early 17th-century panelling;
a room in the S. wing has a dado of similar panelling. On the first floor a room (Plate 11) in the S.
wing is lined with early 17th-century panelling, with
doors of similar character; the cupboard-door is
hung on shaped strap-hinges. Other rooms have
similar panelled doors and remains of panelling.
a(16) Whitfield's Mount, on Blackheath, is a
low mound about 2 ft. high and roughly rectangular
in form, measuring about 62 ft. by 46 ft. It has
been much altered in outline by gravel-digging.