(O.S. 6 in. London, Sheet K.)
The Borough of Shoreditch is coterminous with
the civil parish of St. Leonard, Shoreditch.
(1) Parish Church of St. Leonard, Shoreditch, stands on the E. side of the High Street.
The existing church was built between 1736 and
1740 on the site of the older building, from which
it retains the following:—
Fittings—Glass: In E. window (Plate 105)—in
three stages—(a) in head, figures of the four
evangelists with their names and formerly in
traceried lights with trefoiled heads; flanking
them and in similar lights, shields of the arms
of the Clothworkers' Company and of Austen;
below is an inscription recording the restoration
of the window in 1864. The second range
contains the subjects from the life of Jacob,
his dream, his reconciliation with Esau and his
praying for deliverance from Esau; below is
the inscription "Ex Dono Thome Austen Civis
et Clothworker London An[n]o. D[omi]ni. 1634." In
the lowest range is a large subject—the Last
Supper—and three small subjects above, (a) the
washing of the disciples' feet, (b) the agony in the
garden and (c) Judas receiving the purse of money;
at the left-hand bottom corner is the name Baptista
Sutton, 1634. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave—on W. wall, (1) to Francis
Clerke, A.M., 1690, Sarah his wife, 1709, and
Rebeccah, first wife of Francis Clerke jun., 1715,
draped marble tablet with cartouche-of-arms.
In S. aisle—on S. wall, (2) to Elizabeth Benson,
1710–11, oval marble tablet (Plate 50) in moulded
frame with drapery hung from tree which is being
torn asunder by two skeletons; cartouche-of-arms
below; (3) to Thomas Austen, 1658, and John
Austen his brother, 1659–60, marble tablet with
cornice, broken segmental pediment, achievement
and two shields-of-arms. In crypt—(4) to John
Banf Huniiades, 1696, table-tomb (Plate 127) with
moulded slab and base, enriched angles of balustersection, raised panels at sides and ends carved with a
resurrection of the dead and emblems of mortality,
on slab achievement of the arms of Huniiades;
(5) to John Burton, 1709, and others later, low
brick table-tomb with moulded slab. Plate:
includes six pewter plates with the initials and date
S.L.S., F.E., 1677.
(2) Church of St. Mary, Hoxton, on the E.
side of Britannia Street, is a modern building, but
contains, from the destroyed church of St. Mary
Somerset, Upper Thames Street, the following
Fittings—Bell: inaccessible, but said to be
dated 1678. Pulpit: four sides of hexagonal
pulpit, one set against wall, the other three with
enriched cornice and base, bolection-moulded
panels and cherub-heads with pendants of fruit
and flowers at the angles; stem with concave
faces and enriched capping. Miscellanea: At W.
end of church—framing, incorporating coved
cornice with acanthus-enrichment.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century
date and of two storeys with attics and cellars;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with
tiles or slates.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(3) House and shop, No. 2, on the E. side of
High Street, Shoreditch, 650 yards S. of St.
Leonard's Church, is of three storeys with attics.
The W. front has a brick band between the upper
storeys and flat heads to the windows.
(4) House and shop, No. 167, on the W. side of
High Street, 220 yards S. of St. Leonard's Church,
is of three storeys with attics. Inside the building,
the upper part of the staircase is original and has
moulded string, twisted balusters and square
newels with moulded pendants.
(5) House, Nos. 46 and 48, on the E. side of
Hoxton Street, 270 yards N.W. of St. Leonard's
Church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings projecting towards the N. and W. The W. front has
brick bands between the storeys and a modillioned
eaves-cornice; the windows have flat heads and
flush frames, and the doorway of No. 48 has a
moulded frame and a flat hood resting on carved
brackets; the fan-light has a wrought-iron grille.
The E. elevation has a brick band between the
storeys, and the doorway of No. 48 has a heavy
beaded frame and a flat hood resting on shaped
brackets. Inside the building, several rooms have
plain deal panelling; the staircase has close
moulded strings, twisted balusters and square
panelled newels. The forecourt on the W. of the
house has brick piers with moulded stone caps and
(6) Houses, Nos. 2, 3 and 4, on the W. side of
the square, are of three storeys with cellars. The
back entrance of No. 2 has a flat hood with carved
brackets. Inside the buildings, some of the rooms
have plain and bolection-moulded panelling and
moulded cornices. The staircases of Nos. 3 and 4
are original and have turned balusters, close
strings and square newels with moulded pendants.
(7) House, No. 23, on the N. side of the square,
60 yards W. of Hoxton Street, is of three storeys
with cellars and attics. The back elevation has
brick bands between the storeys and a beaded
door-frame with a light above a transom and a
two-panelled door. Inside the building, a room
on the first floor is lined with bolection-moulded
panelling and a room on the second floor has a
moulded mantel-piece. The staircase has original
(8) Houses, Nos. 28, 29, 30 and 32, on the E. side
of the square. The W. fronts have brick bands
between the storeys; the doorway of No. 32 is
flanked by fluted pilasters supporting scrolled
brackets and a flat hood. Inside the buildings,
the staircases have straight moulded strings and
turned or twisted balusters.
(9) Houses, Nos. 43 and 44, on the S. side of the
square, 35 yards W. of Hoxton Street, have brick
bands between the storeys of the N. front, and
segmental-headed windows; the doorways have
flat hoods resting on carved and scrolled brackets.
Inside the building, some rooms have plain
panelling and moulded cornices; the staircases
have moulded straight strings and turned balusters.
(10) Houses, Nos. 48, 49 and 50, 35 yards W. of
(9), have brick bands between the storeys of the
N. front. Inside the buildings, No. 48 has a
staircase with moulded strings, turned balusters
and square newels with moulded caps.
(11) House and shop, No. 16, on the E. side of
Pitfield Street, 15 yards N. of Boot Street, is of
three storeys with attics. It has been much
altered, but contains an original staircase similar
to that in (10).
(12) House and shop, No. 11, on the W. side of
Pitfield Street, 30 yards N. of Old Street, is of three
storeys with attics. The E. front has a brick
band between the upper storeys and a wooden
modillioned eaves-cornice; the windows have flat
(13) House, No. 27, on the N. side of Charles
Square, 35 yards W. of Pitfield Street, has a brick
band between the storeys on the S. front and a
doorway with an original frame. Inside the
building, the staircase is original and has moulded
strings, turned balusters and square newels with
ball-terminals and moulded pendants.
(14) House, No. 39, on the E. side of Charles
Square, 20 yards S. of (13), has at the back an
original window of three lights with solid frame
and leaded lights. Inside the building, some rooms
have plain panelling, with dado-rail and cornice.
The staircase is similar to that in (13).