6 BAMPTON (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VII, S.E., (b)XIII, N.W., (c)XIII, N.E.,
(d)XIII, S.W., (e)XIII, S.E., (f)XIV, N.W.,
Bampton is a large parish adjoining Shap Rural
on the N.W. The principal monuments are Castle
Crag Fort and the circular works at Scarside Plantation,
Bampton Towtop Kirk and Knipe Scar.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Patrick stands in the
E. part of the parish. It was entirely re-built in 1726
and is a Renaissance structure with timber arcades;
it was restored in 1884 and retains the following
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st uninscribed but probably 16th or 17th century; 3rd uninscribed, perhaps
18th century. Chest: In W. tower—plain with
moulded edges, three iron straps, 17th-century.
Churchyard Cross: In the modern cemetery 250 yards
N.E. of the church—rectangular cross-shaft (Plate 37)
with mutilated head, enriched with a type of ball-flower
ornament, probably 14th-century. Communion Rails:
with turned balusters and square posts with moulded
tops, late 17th-century. Communion Table: In vestry
—with turned legs and stretchers, probably early
18th-century. Font: square tapering bowl, with
round arch on each free side, probably 12th-century,
added initials and date M.W. 1662 on bowl. Pulpit:
with arcaded panels and balusters at angles, probably
c. 1726. Seating: In S. aisle—pew with moulded
rails and muntins and date 1684; other pews incorporate 17th-century material.
c(2). Halfa Bridge (Plate 27), over the Haweswater Beck, 550 yards S.W. of the church, is a rubble
structure of two spans, with cutwaters to the central
pier. The arches are segmental and the bridge has
been widened on the S. side. It was built probably
in the 17th century.
c(3). Bridge over Gill Beck at Butterwick over
1 m. N.N.W. of the church, is a rubble structure of
one span with a segmental arch. It was built probably
in the 17th century and has been widened on the W.
side. There is a later culvert under the N. approach.
c(4). Measand Bridge, over Measand Beck, about
2¾ m. S.W. of the church, is a rubble structure of one
segmental span. It was built probably in the 17th
century, but has been widened on both sides.
c(5). Thornthwaite Hall, house and outbuilding
about 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church. The House is
partly of two storeys and partly of two with attics;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
It was built probably in the second half of the 16th
century when it belonged to the Curwen family.
The block at the S.E. angle formed a tower and has
a small wing on the N. and a long wing extending
towards the W. There are modern additions on the
N. side. The tower has ashlar quoins and an original
six-light window in the S. wall, with a moulded
label; it is now blocked. There is a three-light
window above and some restored original windows
in the E. wall. The tower is said to have been
embattled, but it is now gabled. There are a number
of original windows, with moulded labels, surviving
in whole or in part, elsewhere in the house and there
is the jamb of a doorway adjoining the N.E. angle
of the wing N. of the tower, indicating a destroyed
wall extending to the E. The upper floor of the
W. part of the W. range is now approached by a long
ramp, perhaps of the 17th century. At the W. end
of the S. wall is a projection enclosing a garde-robe.
Inside the building is an original fireplace with a four-centred head.
The Outbuilding, N. of the house, is of the 16th
century and retains some original stone windows.
The interior has some chamfered and moulded
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(6). Grange Farm, house and byre 100 yards N.W.
of the church. The House was largely re-built in 1703,
the date inscribed, with the initials T. and M.I. above
the doorway. Inside the building is a panelled cupboard of the local type with the initials and date T.
and M.I. (for Jackson) 1696, and a large fixed dresser
of the same period. The Byre, S.E. of the house, is
of the 17th century and has two original windows.
c(7). Smithy Cottage, two tenements, 80 yards N.E.
c(8). Cottage 50 yards N. of the church.
c(9). House 50 yards E.N.E. of the church.
c(10). Cottage, 100 yards E. of the church, was built
in 1705, which date with the initials P. and I.I. is cut
on a panel above the doorway.
c(11). Parish Hall, on site of old school, W. of the
church, is modern, but contains an inscription on stone
recording the foundation of the Grammar School by
Thomas Sutton S.T.D. in 1623.
c(12). Bomby Gate, house, 400 yards S.S.E. of the
c(13). Outhouse 100 yards W. of (12).
c(14). Bomby Waters, house 500 yards S.S.W. of
the church, has remains of a spinning-gallery on the
N. side. Inside the building is an enriched panelled
cupboard of the local type with the initials and date
I.N. (for John Noble) 1678; a small spice-cupboard
has the initials and date I. and M.D. 1701. The
adjoining outbuilding is ruined.
c(15). Walmgate Farm, house 260 yards S.W. of
(14), has an addition of 1766 on the N.W.
c(16). Gatefoot, house, two tenements, 60 yards
S.S.W. of (15). The N. tenement has some unusual
moulded panelling and doors.
c(17). Walm Howe, house 220 yards S. of (16),
contains a spice-cupboard with the initials and date L.
and A.H. 1691.
c(18). Bampton Hall, house and pigeon-house 750
yards W.N.W. of the church. The House has been
re-built except for the kitchen-wing. The Pigeon
House, S. of the house, is a square structure with a
gabled roof. It is probably of 16th-century origin
and has an added timber erection within, probably
for bacon-smoking. The walls retain pigeon-nests.
c(19). Houses, forming range, immediately S.E. of
(18). The E. tenement is an addition of c. 1700, but
the western retains some original windows.
c(20). Millcrags, house 1,200 yards W.N.W. of the
church, was built c. 1700 and contains an original
panelled cupboard of the local type.
f(21). High Scarside, house 1 m. E.N.E. of the church,
was built c. 1700, and has a fireplace with a corbelled
f(22). Low Scarside, house 270 yards N.W. of (21),
has a porch with the initials and date R.S. (for Richard
Simpson) 1674. On the adjoining barn is the re-set
inscription "I did make this labour in the yeare 1677
Richard Simpson." Inside the house is an original
f(23). Outbuildings, at High House 270 yards E. of
(22), were built c. 1700.
c(24). Knipe Hall, nearly 1 m. N.N.W. of the church,
was built late in the 16th century and remodelled c. 1630
and in the eighteenth century. The N.W. front has
moulded string-courses above both ranges of windows
and the house retains some 16th and 17th-century
windows. Inside the building are some original
moulded ceiling-beams. Re-set in a barn is a slab
with the initials and date I. and D.T. (for Teasdale)
c(25). Howgate Foot, house 210 yards S.S.E. of (24),
had formerly a slab inscribed "Wee looke for a house
made without hands," now removed.
c(26). High Knipe Farm, house 220 yards N.E. of
(24), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
c(27). Cottage, 80 yards N. of (26), said to have been
the birthplace of Bishop Gibson (1669), retains some
c(28). Barn, formerly cottage, 100 yards N. of (27),
has a projecting spiral staircase on the W. and some
original windows and doorways.
c(29). Barn, 350 yards N. of (24), is of one storey.
c(30). Cottage at the N. end of Low Knipe over
1¼ m. N.N.W. of the church, was formerly two
cottages and has the initials and date I. and M.B. (for
Bradley) 1687 above the doorway. Other features
are dated 1731 and 1738.
c(31). Cottage, 60 yards S. of (30), has a doorway
with the initials and date R.P. (for Powley) 1677.
Inside the building is an enriched panelled cupboard,
with pendants, of the local type and an original panelled
c(32). Low Knipe Farm, house 160 yards S. of (31),
has a later S. addition. The doorway has embattled
ornament on the lintel, with the initials and date H.
and M.N. (for Nicholson) 1707.
c(33). Moor End, house 50 yards S. of (32), contains
a cupboard door with the initials and date W.B. 1689,
also a cupboard of 1739.
c(34). Cottage 100 yards N.W. of Butterwick Bridge
c(35). Bridge End, house, 50 yards S.W. of (34).
c(36). Low Crag, house over 1¼ m. N.W. of the
church, has later additions at each end. It retains
some original windows.
c(37). Old Widewath, house 2¼ m. N.W. of the
church, contains some original moulded ceiling-beams,
a fireplace with a corbelled head and a panelled cupboard of c. 1700. A doorway is dated 1727.
c(38). Barn at Gillhead 500 yards S.S.W. of (36),
has a stone panel with the initials and date T. and W.H.
c(39). Low Rough Hill, house 600 yards W. of (38),
has a later and 18th-century extension of the E. and
S. wings. The S. wing has some original windows
and a doorway with the initials and date T. and M.N.
(for Noble) 1682. Inside the building is a spicecupboard with a panelled door and a fireplace with a
c(40). High Rough Hill, house, 170 yards W.S.W.
of (39), has an early 18th-century addition on the N.
The house has some original stone windows and
muntin and plank partitions of the local type. There
is a range of 17th-century outbuildings, N. of the
c(41). Woodfoot, house nearly 1 m. N.W. of the
church, has a doorway with the initials and date E.H.
(for Hottblacke) 1674. Inside the building is a spicecupboard with the initials and date E.H. 1700.
c(42). High Woodfoot, house and barn 160 yards S.
of (41). The House now used as a store, has a doorway
with the initials and date E.C. 1691 and some windows,
lacking their mullions. The Barn, N. of the house,
has a doorway with the initials and date A.H. (for
c(43). Low Hullockhowe, house 700 yards W.S.W.
of (42), has a doorway with the initials and date W.H.
c(44). High Hullockhowe, house 150 yards S. of (43),
contains two fireplaces with corbelled heads.
c(45). Vaugh Steel, house nearly 1½ m. W.N.W. of
the church, has a fireplace with a corbelled head.
c(46). House, 50 yards W. of (45), is now an outbuilding.
c(47). Stanegarth, house 1½ m. W. of the church,
has a W. block re-built c. 1700. The original block
has a doorway with a triangular arch in a square head,
the initials and date L. and T. I. (for Jackson) 1679
and a door of the same age. There are also some
original windows and a spiral staircase set in a square
projection. Inside the building, one room has a
panelled ceiling and there is a fireplace of c. 1700, with a
c(48). Low Howe, house now outbuilding, nearly
2 m. W.N.W. of the church.
c(49). High Howe, house 300 yards W.N.W. of (48),
is built round a yard, of which the W. and S. ranges
date from the 17th century. The E. doorway has the
initials and date T. and A.N. (for Noble) 1715, the date
of some reconstruction. Inside the building is a
spice-cupboard with a panelled door.
c(50). Keldhead, house 700 yards N.N.W. of (49),
has a fireplace with a corbelled head.
c(51). Dalefoot, house 750 yards N.E. of (50), was
built early in the 18th century and has an added block
on the W. The E. doorway is dated 1707. There
are two fireplaces with corbelled heads. The barn,
N.E. of the house, is of the same period.
c(52). Moorahill, house 1¾ m. W. of the church,
has a later doorway with the initials and date W.W.
(for Wilkinson) 1714. Inside the building are some
original moulded ceiling-beams, a muntin and plank
partition and a spice-cupboard with a panelled door.
c(53). Carhullan, house and barn 340 yards W. of
(52). The House has an addition, dated 1729, at the
N. end. Inside the building are some original moulded
ceiling-beams, a fireplace with a corbelled head and a
panelled partition and doors. The Barn, W. of the
house, is of six bays.
e(54). Eastward, house nearly 1 m. S.W. of the
church, is of three storeys. Inside the building are
some original panelled and boarded partitions.
e(55). House at Littlewater 570 yards W. of (54),
contains a cupboard with enriched panels and the
initials and date L. and H.W. 1685.
e(56). House, 50 yards S. of (55), has a N. extension
of c. 1700. It contains some original muntin and
plank partitions and the byre at the S. end has roof-trusses of crutch-type.
e(57). Low Drybarrows, house 730 yards W. of (56)
was built c. 1700. It contains a spice-cupboard with a
e(58). High Drybarrows, house (Plate 22) 220 yards
W.N.W. of (57), has some original panelled partitions
and a spice-cupboard.
e(59). Colby, house and barn on the N.W. side of
Hawes Water 2¼ m. S.W. of the church. The House
has some original windows, lacking their mullions.
The Barn, N.E. of the house, has a roof of crutch-type.
e(60). Measand School, now a house, ½ m. S.W. of
(59), has an inscription on the porch "Richard Wright,
Richard Law 1713 Founder, Benefactor," the date of
the existing building. There are some original
e(61). Sandhill, house 250 yards W. of (60), was built
late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
d(62). High House, 400 yards S.W. of (61), is now
ruined except for the outbuilding forming the S. end.
Condition—Of house, ruined.
g(63). Rowan Park, house 4 m. S.W. of the church,
has a later outbuilding on the N. The house has a
spiral staircase in a half-round projection.
Condition—Of house, ruined.
g(64). Low Whelter, house ¼ m. S.S.W. of (63).
g(65). Barn, 70 yards S.E. of (64), is of one storey,
with loop lights.
g(66). Flakehowe, house (Plate 23) in Mardale 4¾ m.
S.S.W. of the church, has a spiral staircase in a small
projecting wing. A panelled cupboard has the initials
and date A.H. (for Holme) 1675, and a spice-cupboard
of the same period.
g(67). Riggindale, house 680 yards S.S.W. of (66),
has a later extension on the E.
g(68). Castle Crag Fort (Plate 1), in Mardale
700 yards W.S.W. of the present foot of Hawes
Water, is a small work occupying the top of Castle
Crag, from which the ground falls precipitously
in all directions except towards the S.W., where
it rises towards Birks Crag. Along the N. and
N.E. sides there is now no sign of any rampart
and after a very slight fall there is a precipice on
these sides. The site was, however, excavated in
part some years ago and traces were found of a wall on
the N.E. which would appear to have been rather
a parapet for the protection of the inmates. The
description (C. and W. Trans., N.S. XXIII, p. 285)
reads "a parapet rampart was found on the N. side
built up to a perpendicular height of 10 ft. from the
under edge of the brow of the precipice, using the
natural outcrop. On the inside it was found to be
composed of tightly laid flat stones without any distinct facing." The enclosure is protected along the
S.W. side by a high rampart of stones beyond which
are two fosses cut across the neck of land which
connects Castle Crag to the fell side and Birks Crag.
There are traces suggesting an entrance to the inner
enclosure at the N.W. corner up a ledge of rock,
which would be easily defensible. The cutting of the
two fosses has left a wide platform of rock between
them. Towards the S. end of the S.W. side of this
rock rampart there is the suggestion of a cutting in
the rock to form an entrance, and on the top of the
rampart are some roughly circular sinkings and
cuttings which suggest that this rampart was itself
possibly occupied as a sort of outer enclosure. Within
the fort proper were found several floors of levelled
clay and charcoal.
Castle Crag: Mardale In the Parish of Bampton
g(69). Cairns and foundations, 250 yards N.N.E.
of (68), consist of the following: (a) two irregularly
shaped heaps of stones (marked Tumuli on O.S.),
both of doubtful antiquity; (b) slight sinking (9 ft.
by 7 ft.) 15 yards E. of (a), with traces of boulders
surrounding it and some boulders in the sinking;
(c) another sinking (about 30 ft. by 12 ft.), 5 yards
E. of (b). For (b) and (c) see C. and W. Trans. N.S.
XXIII, p. 284.
g(70). Cairn (called Tumulus on O.S.), near the
summit of Low Raise, 5 m. S.W. of the church, consists of a ring of small stones about 3 ft. high and with
a diameter of 25–6 ft. The work has been much
disturbed and the ring possibly rearranged.
e(71). Earthwork (called Fort on O.S.), 220 yards
N.E. of Measand Bridge (4), consists of two roughly
rhomboidal enclosures (nearly ⅓ acre). The more
southerly is surrounded by a very slight rampart
possibly indicating the foundations of a surrounding
wall, which would appear to have incorporated the
large natural boulders which lie upon the bank. The
S.W. rampart terminates at its N.W. end in a low
roughly circular mound with a number of large
boulders; immediately E. of the mound is what
would appear to have been an entrance to this enclosure.
Enclosure at Measand Bridge in the Parish of Bampton.
The more northerly enclosure abuts on that just
described and is divided from it by a rampart which
turns N.W. immediately E. of the entrance, to form the
western defence of this N. enclosure. On the N.
there are no apparent defences, the enclosure terminating, along that side, in an inward sloping scarp which,
however, towards its N.E. end, takes the form of a
rampart. The E. side has no apparent protection
other than a short but steep scarp in the face of which
are cut two roughly circular sinkings. In the external
angle formed by the ramparts of the two enclosures
on the E.S.E. there is a small platform.
e(72). Cairns, etc., on Four Stones Hill ½ m. N.
of (71), occupy a shelf on the side of the fell and consist of the following: (a) Two standing stones, about
4¼ ft. and 3¾ ft. high and 7½ ft. apart. (b) Cairn,
135 yards S.W. of (a), about 33 ft. in diameter and 1½ ft.
high; it is largely overgrown and stands within an
enclosure of uncertain date. (c) Cairn, 130 yards
N.E. of (a), is about 36–8 ft. in diameter and 4½ ft.
high. It has been disturbed in the middle. (d) About
280 yards E. of (c) is a heap of stones, possibly also a
c(73). Bampton Towtop Kirk, earthwork 1¾ m.
W. of the church, consists of an irregular circularshaped enclosure surrounded by a low, turf-covered
rampart. There was some excavation done on this
site in 1902 under the direction of Mr. W. G. Collingwood, who found that this rampart was composed
of piled small stones.
There is an opening in the rampart on the W. and
traversing it on the inner side is a small rectangular
mound which Mr. Collingwood thought to be debris
caused during the later occupancy by peat-cutters.
In the centre is a horseshoe-shaped bank which
indicates the foundations of a hut. The bank is built
of small heaped stones and beneath the ground within
the hut was found a pavement of flat stones laid in
clay. Immediately E. of this hut there are faint traces
of a circular bank connected on its E. side to the outer
rampart by a slight causeway, while in the centre of the
ring is a small mound. To the N.W. of the central
hut are the fallen stones of a peat-cot of later date,
but within the area of the fallen stones was found a
similar pavement to that in the central hut. From this
Mr. Collingwood inferred that the peat cot was built
on the foundations of an original hut. (C. and W.
Trans., N.S. III, 265.)
Bampton, Towtop Kirk
e(74). Cairn, on the fell-side above Burn Banks and
1¾ m. S.W. of the church, is about 18 ft. in diameter
and 2 ft. high. It has been disturbed in the middle.
About 60 yards W. of the cairn are the foundations
of an enclosure (41 yards by 23 yards), possibly of no
c(75). Earthwork in Scarside Plantation 1,650
yards N.E. of the church, forms a roughly oval
enclosure (about ½ acre), with a surrounding rampart.
There is a ditch outside the rampart only on the S.
and S.E.; along the W. the scarp is steep and probably
did not necessitate a ditch. There is an entrance
near the middle of the E. side, the rampart being
widened on the N. side of the opening, while on the
S. the rampart is turned slightly outwards. There is a
suggestion of an entrance where the rampart meets
the natural scarp on the N.W., but this is probably
of later date. There are no signs of orthostats, and
the rampart would appear to be made of heaped
stones. Within the enclosure any signs of work are
covered by leaf mould.
Bampton - Enclosure In Scarside Plantation
c(76). Enclosure of loose stones 100 yards W. of
(75) is roughly circular with a diameter of about
48 ft. The site is largely occupied by outcrops of
rock and the ring-work has been formed by clearing
the loose rock from a circular area and piling it to
form a rampart. There is a gap on the S.E. side and
a large boulder near the middle.
f(77). Mound (called Tumulus on O.S.), 350 ft.
E.N.E. of (76), is about 62 ft. in diameter and about
4 ft. high. The top has been excavated in three
places and the component stones exposed. About
133 yards N.N.W. is a small mound 18 ft. in diameter
and about 1½ ft. high.
f(78). Lynchets, on the S.W. side of Knipe Scar
near (21) and (22), form a series of terraces mainly
running in two groups N.W. and S.E., but with a
transverse series extending S.W. and N.E. The main
group is about 300 yards long.