16 CASTERTON (E.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVII, N.E., (b)XLVIII, N.W.)
Casterton is a parish on the S.E. border of the county
and adjoining that of Kirkby Lonsdale on the E.
The standing cross, Kirfit Hall and the stone circle
are the principal monuments.
b(1). Standing Cross (Plate 37), 120 yards E. of
the railway and near the N. boundary of the parish, is
a roughly cut stone 3¾ ft. high. It has a triangular
top and concave sides and on the W. face a cross-head
of paty form is cut on the broadest part of the stone.
The back of the stone is left rough. The cross stands
on a low mound and lies on the track of the old road
called Roman Road on the O.S. The cutting of the
stone is probably of 14th or 15th-century date.
a(2). Kirfit Hall (Plate 16), near the right bank
of the river Lune and 350 yards S.W. of Mill Gill, is of
two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the
roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in
the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the E. and S. The staircase-tower
on the W. was added late in the 17th century. The
S.E. wing is an 18th-century addition. The original
S. wing retains most of its stone windows; they are
generally of two lights with transoms. The tower is
carried up four storeys and finished with a low pyramidal roof; the windows are generally similar to
those in the S. wing. The original E. wing retains
some old windows. Inside the building are one or
more original partitions of the muntin and plank type.
The early to mid 17th-century staircase in the E. wing
has heavy turned balusters. The late 17th-century
staircase in the tower is of similar but slighter character,
with square newels finished with moulded cappings.
There are a number of original battened doors.
On the N. and W. sides of the house is a dry ditch
with an inner revetment of rubble.
Condition—Good, except the tower and part of the
S. wing, which are nearly derelict.
a(3). Old Hall (Plate 92), house and pigeon-house,
150 yards W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably in the second half of
the 16th century and has an extension on the E. The S.
front retains its original stone windows of three and
four transomed lights with moulded labels. The chimney-stacks have twin shafts set diagonally. The back
wing has two old windows of four and three lights
respectively. Inside the building, the main E. room
has a fireplace with original moulded jambs and later
head. There are several original or slightly later
doors. In the W. room is a cupboard with the initials
and date W. and A.H. 1613; the fireplace is original
and has moulded jambs and lintel; the surround and
overmantel (Plate 58) are made up of early 16th-century woodwork, including enriched shafts, panelled
ogee head with carved monsters and human head and
five carved panels with monsters and human heads.
Elsewhere in the house is some 17th-century panelling,
a fireplace with an early 18th-century surround and
some movable furniture dated 1682 and 1688. The
W. room is hung with 17th or 18th-century tapestry.
b(4). Old Manor, house, about ½ m. S.S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are slate-covered. It is largely modern,
but incorporates a N.W. block with thick walls of the
17th century or earlier.
b(5). Stone Circle and mound 350 yards E. of
Fellfoot Road and 200 yards S.E. of Langthwaite
Gill Plantation. A slight mound roughly circular in
shape with a flat top (except for a slight rampart on
part of the E. side) has been formed at the end of
a small spur. In the mound is a stone circle of an
average diameter of 59 ft. and consisting, now, of
twenty stones. Two of these stones now show only
as small points through the turf. The remainder are
of varying heights up to 1 ft. 7 in. There has
apparently been some slight excavation against the
western scarp of the mound.
Stone Circle at Casterton
About 8 yards N. of the stone circle are faint
traces of a roughly circular sinking with fainter traces
resembling a surrounding bank on part of the circumference.
In the next field to the S. and some 200 yards S.
of the stone circle is a circular sinking of some 18
yards diameter with traces of a few fallen stones
suggesting a former encircling wall on its E.