Hincaster

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1936

Supporting documents

Page

112

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hincaster', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland (1936), pp. 112. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120763 Date accessed: 23 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

39 HINCASTER (D.g.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLII, N.E., (b)XLII, S.E.)

Hincaster is a township of Heversham, 5 m. S. of Kendal. Hincaster Hall is the principal monument.

Secular

b(1). Hincaster Hall (Plate 115), on the W. side of the parish, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built on a T-shaped plan, probably late in the 16th century and there is an 18th-century extension on the E. The S. front retains its original stone-mullioned windows with moulded labels and there are similar windows at the back and W. end. The front doorway has an oak frame and a door of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges. The chimneystacks have cylindrical shafts. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces; one on the ground floor has a three-centred arch of stone and a second has a flat lintel with a segmental arch cut on the face; a fireplace on the first floor also has a flat lintel with two round arches cut on the face and having three leaves as a stop in the middle; a second fireplace on the same floor has two square-headed recesses cut on the face of the lintel. The partition on the ground floor is of 17th-century panelling, with a carved frieze-panel bearing the initials and date A.M. 1660. There are also some 17th-century panelled doors.

Condition—Good.

Monuments (2–5)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good or fairly good.

b(2). High Barns, house, 450 yards W.N.W. of (1), is of three storeys. The chimney-stacks have cylindrical shafts.

b(3). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 330 yards E.S.E. of (1), contains an original partition of the local muntin and plank type.

a(4). Well Heads, house, on the N. edge of the parish, 1,600 yards N.E. of (1), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.

b(5). Greenhead, house, 1,600 yards S.E. of (1), has 18th-century extensions at both ends. The front doorway has an original door of nail-studded battens with ornamental strap-hinges. Inside the building are remains of a partition of the local type and there are two original panelled doors.



<--Previous:
Hillbeck
Next:-->
Hoff