Aston Sandford


English Heritage


Year published


Supporting documents




Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Aston Sandford', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1: South (1912), pp. 22. URL: Date accessed: 29 November 2014.


(Min 3 characters)


(O.S. 6 in. xxxiii. S.W.)


(1). Parish Church of St. Michael, stands at the E. end of the village, and is built of roughly squared, coursed limestone rubble, with dressings of limestone and shelly oolite; the roof is tiled. The Chancel inclines towards the N., and appears to have been re-built in the 13th century; the Nave is probably of earlier date, but all the original work has been re-cut and re-set, and the church practically re-built in the 19th century. The South Porch is probably of the 18th century; the North Vestry and West Bell-Cot are modern.

Architectural Description—The Chancel (18½ ft. by 12 ft.) has three modern lancet lights in the E. wall. In the middle of the N. wall is a modern doorway opening into the vestry; W. of the doorway is a single cinque-foiled light, probably of the 14th century, but the external stonework is modern or re-cut. The two windows in the S. wall are modern. There is no chancel arch, but at the junction of the nave and chancel is a modern truss of wood resting on modern corbels, which takes the place of the former arch; below it, on each side, there are two slender shafts with roughly cut capitals, one capital, on the S. side, being carved as a grotesque head; one shaft on each side is not carried to the ground; all are apparently of the 13th century, but have been much restored, and probably re-set. The Nave (38 ft. by 14 ft.) has two windows in the N. wall; the eastern is of two pointed lights with uncusped spandrels in a pointed head, apparently of the 14th century, re-cut and re-set early in the 19th century; the western window is modern: between the windows is the N. doorway, of 14th-century style, now blocked, and apparently modern externally; the inner W. jamb and half the rear arch are probably of the 13th or 14th century. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of two cinque-foiled lights in an old opening, modern externally: the western window and the S. doorway are modern. In the W. wall is a blocked window possibly of the 13th century, covered outside by a 15th-century buttress. The Roof of the nave is old, but of uncertain date, of plain collar-beam construction.

Fittings—Bells: three, 1st, early 15th-century, cast at Wokingham foundry, inscribed 'Sancte Toma Or ▬', 2nd, 1675, by Ellis and Henry Knight, 3rd, early 15th-century, cast at Wokingham foundry, inscribed 'Sancte Clemes ▬ Ora Pro Nobis'. Glass: in middle light, E. wall, of chancel, seated figure, possibly of Christ, holding the box of nard, late 13th-century, hands and face much corroded. Locker: in N. wall of chancel, rectangular, with rebated edges. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1661. Miscellanea: on two buttresses of nave, W. and N.W., incised circles, about 7 in. in diameter, possibly unfinished consecration crosses.

Condition—Good; re-built.


(2). Homestead Moat, at the Manor House, fragment.

Aston Clinton