17. CHALFONT ST. PETER.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlviii. N.E. (b)xlviii. S.W.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Peter, stands
in the middle of the village. It was re-built in
the 18th and 19th centuries, but contains, from
the old church, the following:—
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In
chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Rose Edgeworth,
1529, mother of Roger and John Edgeworth,
vicars of the parish, inscription only; (2) to
Robert Drury, 1592, inscription only; (3) of
William Whappelode, steward to Henry [Beaufort] Cardinal of England and Bishop of
Winchester, 1446, and Margery, his wife,
figures of man in plate armour, and woman in
horned head-dress and veil, with inscription;
(4) of priest in Mass vestments, late 15th or
early 16th-century, figure slightly altered at
later date, probably to suit inscription below
it, to Robert Hanson, vicar of the parish and
of Little Missenden, 1545; (5) to George
Brudenell, 1522, inscription only; (6) of William Whappelode, senior, 1398, and Elizabeth,
his wife, figures evidently of same date (1446)
and workmanship as brass (3); (7) to William
Wheytte (date of death not given) and Alice,
his wife, 1525. Indents: In S. chapel—in
slab under communion table, of two shields.
Chests: in the vestry, two, one panelled, the
other small, with three locks, probably 17th-century. Communion Table: in S. chapel,
small, of oak, 17th-century. Floor-slabs: in
S. chapel—(1) to Henry Gould, 1671; (2) to
Deborah, wife of Henry Gould, 1695, and
Thomas, their youngest son, 1699; (3) to Henry
and Samuel Aldridge, infant sons of Henry
Gould, 1677 and 1679; (4) to Thomas Whitchurch, 1691, and Richard, his son, 1709;
partly hidden by organ platform, (5) slab
dated 161—. Plate: includes two flagons and
patens, 1693, two patens or salvers, 1661, bowl
and a flagon with spout, probably 17th-century,
all of pewter.
c(2). Homestead Moat, N.W. of Chalfont
Lodge, a very small example.
The London Road, W. side
a(3). The Greyhound Inn, about 60 yards
N.E. of the church, is a 17th-century building
of two storeys, much restored in the 19th century. The S. front is of late 17th-century brick,
with a brick string-course between the storeys,
and a wood cornice; the other walls are of
brick except at the back, where they are partly
timber-framed with brick filling. The roofs
are tiled. Two original chimney stacks are
of thin bricks. One room has a wide fireplace,
and two old ceiling-beams remain, one with a
a(4). Cottage, about 60 yards S. of the
church, was built probably in the 16th century,
but the lower storey is of modern brick; the
projecting upper storey retains old timber-framing with brick filling; the roof is tiled.
In front is a gable with an ornamental barge
board, of which the N. half is probably
a(5). Cottage, now a shop, at the corner of
Goldhill Lane, is of two storeys and an attic,
built probably in the 17th century, of timber
with brick filling, re-fronted with modern
brick. The roof is tiled. At the back is an
original chimney stack of thin bricks.
Condition—Not very good.
a(6). The George Inn, opposite the church,
is a two-storeyed building, probably of the 17th
century. The walls are plastered; the roof is
covered with slate. Two plain chimney stacks
are built of 17th-century bricks.
a(7). Cottage, about 75 yards S. of the
church, built probably in the 17th century, is
of two storeys. The walls are plastered, except
the gabled N. end, which is timber-framed
with brick filling; the gable in front also shews
old timbers. The roof is covered with slates.
An original chimney stack is built of brick.
Condition—Not very good.
a(8). The Bakers' Arms Inn, is of two
storeys, built probably in the 17th century, but
re-fronted in the 19th century; the gabled ends
are timber-framed and covered with plaster.
The roof is tiled.
a(9). House, opposite the White Hart Inn,
is a two-storeyed building, probably of early
17th-century date. The lower storey is of brick;
the upper storey is timber-framed, with brick
filling. The roofs are tiled. In front the upper
storey projects above a large gateway leading
to a yard, and is supported on a heavy beam.
Inside the house on the ground floor is a 17th-century panelled door and a small leaded window in an inner wall; on the second floor part of
a partition is of 17th-century panelling.
a(10). Ashwells Farm, about 1½ miles N.
of the church, is a 17th-century house of two
storeys, timber-framed, with brick filling,
except the E. wall, which is partly faced with
modern brick. The roofs are tiled. The plan
is L-shaped. At the S. end is a large stepped
chimney stack with two square shafts, built
of thin bricks, and at the W. end is a smaller
stack also with square shafts. Two of the
windows, with diamond-shaped quarries, are
original. The parlour has early 17th-century
panelling, now painted, and a fireplace, of
slightly later date, which has pilasters and
lintel, with Ionic capitals and carved rosettes;
in the ceiling is a chamfered beam. Two other
rooms have wide fireplaces.
Condition—Fairly good; the timber-framing
is somewhat decayed.
b(11). Mumford's Farm, near the S. end of
Mumford's Lane, about 1½ miles S.W. of the
church, is a house of two storeys, except the
E. wing, which is partly of one storey. The
walls are chiefly of brick; the roofs are tiled.
The N.E. part of the main block, which is approximately square, was built probably early
in the 16th century; c. 1650 the rest of the
block was added, and c. 1690 two wings were
built on the N. side; the W. wing now forms a
separate dwelling, and there is a modern addition on the E. side of the E. wing. The main
block is of mid 17th-century brick on the W.
side, which contains the principal entrance,
and has a projecting string-course between the
storeys; the S. front and the S. end of the E. side
are of similar brick; the rest of the E. side is
of 16th-century brick, except at the N. end,
where there is a small overhanging chamber, which is timber-framed, with modern
brick filling, and is supported on a shaped
bracket; at the back the lower storey of the
main block is of modern brick; the upper part,
with two gables, is of 16th-century brick and
timber; on the first floor two windows are of the
17th century, and a third window, probably of
late 17th-century date, has moulded frame,
mullions and transom, a double casement
opening and large ornamental fastenings; in
the apex of one of the gables are two small oval
windows which light a room in the roof. A large
projecting chimney stack on the E. side of the
main block is of 16th-century brick, and has
attached square shafts. Both the wings are
built of late 17th-century brick with blue
Interior—One of the rooms on the ground
floor has a plain beam in the ceiling and a wood
moulding of c. 1690 round the fireplace, which
is partly filled in; the kitchen has a wide fireplace, and in the ceiling is a chamfered beam.
On the first floor are two doorways with moulded
wood frames of early 16th-century date, the
jambs having moulded stops; one room has
panelling of c. 1690, with a moulding round
the fireplace; another room has a similar
moulding, a panelled overmentel and small
cupboard. In the projecting chamber are the
remains of steps which led to the room in the
roof, now disused.