Coleshill

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1912

Supporting documents

Pages

108-109

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Coleshill', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1: South (1912), pp. 108-109. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=121035 Date accessed: 23 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

25. COLESHILL.

(O.S. 6 in. xliii. S.W.)

Secular

(1). Stocks Place (see Plate, p. 30), about 100 yards N. of the Church of All Saints, is a small rectangular building of two storeys, and of brick and timber; the roof is tiled. The house was probably built in the 16th century, and may have extended originally further towards the W., as the wall at that end is of late 17th-century brick. On the S. front and at the E. end the upper storey is timber-framed with filling of thin bricks, and probably originally projected, the lower storey being now of modern brick. Some of the timbers are covered with cement or tiles. At the back are two projecting chimney stacks, each with a rectangular shaft, restored.

Condition—Poor; the timbers are decaying and the W. wall is bulging outwards.

(2). Bowers Farm (see Plate, p. 12), about ½ mile S.E. of the church, is a long rectangular building of two storeys, probably of late 16th-century date, and faces S.W. The walls are timber-framed in small panels, with filling of thin bricks; the roof is tiled. At the S.E. end the upper storey is carried over a large gateway, which has been partly blocked by a small modern addition to the house. The principal chimney stack has four octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases; the two middle shafts have been altered at the back to a square shape, set diagonally; another stack near the S.E. end has a plain rectangular shaft. Inside the house the fireplace in one room has a castiron fire-back, dated 1687, bearing the old arms of England quartering Scotland and Ireland, with lion and unicorn supporters. The kitchen has exposed ceiling-joists and a large open fireplace with chamfered jambs and four-centred arch, of brick.

In a small building at the W. corner of the house is a disused well with curious wooden winding gear of uncertain date. A barn adjoining the house at the S.E. end, and probably contemporary with it, is of timber, weather-boarded; the plan is L-shaped. The roof is covered with tiles, and has massive principals and curved wind-braces.

Condition—Good.

(3). Stocking's Farm, about 1 mile S.E. of the church, is a two-storeyed building, probably of late 17th-century date. All the walls are of 2¼ in. bricks, and have moulded courses at the eaves; the roofs are tiled. The windows have square frames, and are probably original.

Condition—Good.



<--Previous:
Cholesbury
Next:-->
Cuddington