(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlvi. S.W. (b)li. N.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, about 350
yards S.W. of the village green, is built of flint
rubble with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled.
Of the 12th-century church on the site the
Nave remains; the West Tower was built probably c. 1280, and the top stage added early in
the 16th century. The Chancel was entirely
re-built in 1748, and the tower restored in
1867. The North and South Transepts and the
North Vestry were added, the walls of the nave
heightened, and the whole church was restored
Architectural Description — The Chancel
(20½ ft. by 15 ft.) has, re-set in the S. wall, a
doorway, now blocked, probably of the 16th century, with jambs and semi-circular arch of thin
bricks, the jambs having a small angle-bead.
The chancel arch has plain square jambs, the
lower parts are of 12th-century stone with
diagonal tooling; the rest of the arch is modern.
The Nave (40 ft. by 20 ft.) has an opening into
each transept, and two windows on each side,
all modern. The West Tower (20 ft. by 11 ft.)
has no external divisions, except the original
corbel table between the 13th and 16th-century
work; the parapet is modern, the angle-buttresses are also modern, but are on original
bases. The 13th-century tower arch is two-centred, of two chamfered orders, with moulded
stops; the semi-octagonal jambs have moulded
capitals and modern bases; on the E. side is a
moulded label. In the N. wall is an original lancet window, with a modern external sill; in the
S. wall is a similar lancet, but all the external
stonework is modern. The W. doorway is
modern; over it is an original window, of two
pointed, uncusped lights, with modern outer
order and stonework in the head; the rear arch
is chamfered and has a moulded label with
stops resembling the detail of the corbel table.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a plain
single-light window with a four-centred head,
of early 16th-century date, and, in the S. and
W. walls, below the corbel table, are similar
windows; there is probably another in the N.
wall, hidden by ivy. The Roof of the nave has
some old plain timbers in it.
Fittings—Bells: three, 2nd probably by John
Saunders, c. 1550, 3rd probably by Roger
Landen, c. 1450. Chairs: in the chancel, three,
one with arms and carved back, late 17th-century, and carved panel in the back of earlier
date, two with carved and panelled backs and
turned legs, 17th-century. Monuments and
Floor-slabs. Monuments: In S. transept—on
W. side, of Sir James Whitelock, Judge of the
Court of Common Pleas, 1632, and Elizabeth
his wife, 1631, alabaster figures with traces of
colour, in marble architectural setting with inscription, achievements of arms, coloured.
Floor-slab: In tower—at entrance, to Robert
Weedon, 1659, date almost obliterated, arms
and inscription. Painting: on each respond of
tower arch, text in black-letter, 16th-century,
numbers of chapter and verse added later.
Panelling: in chancel, oak, richly carved cornice with acanthus leaves, groups of gilded fruit
and flowers on panels, all c. 1700: in nave,
carved cornice, same date, above modern panels.
Pulpit: hexagonal, with richly carved panelled
sides, cherubs' heads at angles, moulded and
carved cornice, foliated base, said to be by
Grinling Gibbons. c. 1700. Reading Desk:
panelled and carved, acanthus leaf cornice,
similar to pulpit. Seating: in chancel, transepts and nave, elaborate carving attached to
some of the seats, late 17th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). House, now several cottages, on the
Green, about 350 yards N.E. of the church, is
a 17th-century rectangular building of two
storeys, the upper storey partly in the roof; the
walls are timber-framed with brick filling, the
bricks being of various dates. The roof is
thatched. In front there is one projecting
gable, covered with plaster, and two dormer
windows in the thatch. The central chimney
is of old thin bricks, restored at the top.
a(3). Cottages, two, adjoining, about 700
yards N.E. of the church, are of two storeys,
built of brick and timber in the 17th century,
with modern additions. The roofs are tiled.
At the S. end is a projecting chimney stack,
with a rectangular shaft of original bricks.
a(4). Round-house Farm, now two cottages,
about ½ mile N.E. of the church, is of two
storeys, built in the 17th century, partly of
brick and timber, partly of flint with brick
quoins. The roofs are tiled. The plan is
L-shaped, with the wings projecting towards the
N. and E.; the round-house or tower at the S.W.
end was probably added in the 18th century.
The W. front has two gables and a small projecting semi-circular oven. The tall chimney
stack between the house and the tower is of thin
bricks with over-sailing courses at the top, and
the square chimney stack at the back is of late
17th-century brick. Inside the house is a wide
fireplace, partly filled in.
a(5). Cottage, opposite Round-house Farm,
is of two storeys, the upper storey partly in the
roof, built in the 17th century, but almost
entirely re-built with brick in the 19th century.
The roof is tiled. The front is covered with
plaster and has two gabled dormer windows.
The chimney stack at the N. end is original.
b(6). Crockmore Farm, about ½ mile S.W. of
the church, is a house of two storeys, of brick
and timber, partly plastered; at the back the
lower storey is of brick and flint. The house was
built originally in the 17th century, but the
bricks are of various dates; the E. end and gable
are modern, and there is a modern addition at
the W. end. The plan is rectangular, facing N.,
with a central chimney stack which has square
shafts of thin bricks; a second chimney stack
near the E. end has a rectangular shaft of
thin bricks, with over-sailing courses at the top.
Condition—Good, but the central chimney
leans towards the W.