AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
IN NORTH BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Accredited to A Date Anterior To 1700, arranged by Parishes.
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal.)
(O.S. 6 in. xviii. S.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, about
¾ mile N.E. of Verney Junction, is built of stone
rubble. The roofs are covered with lead, except
those of the chancel and S. porch, which are tiled.
The church was partly re-built in 1858, but the
Chancel arch, the arcades of the Nave, and the
West Tower are of the 14th century, restored. The
only detail of an earlier date is a small 12th-century
shaft with a capital, formerly used as a pillar-piscina. The tower was apparently altered late
in the 15th century.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22 ft.
by 14 ft.) is modern, except the 14th-century
chancel arch, which is two-centred and of two
chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds
having moulded capitals and bases. The Nave
(33 ft. by 16 ft.) has 14th-century N. and S. arcades
of three bays; the two-centred arches are of one
chamfered order, with labels in the nave which
have modern stops; the octagonal columns are
without capitals; the moulded bases are apparently
modern copies of 14th-century work; the E.
responds are pierced, the openings being filled
with modern tracery. The clearstorey has circular
windows, all modern, except the openings, which
are possibly of the 14th century. The North and
South Aisles are modern. The West Tower (12 ft.
by 9 ft.) is of three stages with a S.W. stair-turret,
and is partly enclosed by the N. and S. aisles. The
ground stage has, opening into the nave and aisles,
three arches, all of the 14th century, two-centred
and of two chamfered orders. In the S.W. corner is
a small doorway opening into the stair-turret.
The late 15th-century W. doorway has moulded
jambs and four-centred head with an external
label; the W. window is of the same date as the
doorway, and of two cinque-foiled lights under a
Fittings—Altar slabs: In chancel—inset in
modern communion table, small (7½ in. by 5½ in.)
with five well defined incised crosses, and a
monogram, probably 'T. A'., scratched on it, found
behind a monument when chancel was re-built. In
vestry—set in frame, fragment of larger slab with
one incised cross. Books: Now at vicarage—five,
found behind monument in chancel, 16th-century,
one mutilated. Glass: In most of the windows,
panels representing various Biblical subjects,
Flemish, 16th and 17th-century. In vestry—
preserved in frame, fragments, one with representation of human foot, found behind monument in
chancel. Monuments: In S. aisle—on N. wall, (1)
to Elizabeth Busby, 1651, erected by her brother,
Robert Busby, slate slab in foliated frame; on
S. wall, (2) of Sir John Busby, 1700, monument
with bust. Piscina: In vestry—apparently jambshaft and scalloped capital of a doorway, re-used
as pillar-piscina, 12th-century, retooled.
Condition—Good; much restored.
(2). The Old Manor House, N. of the church,
is of two storeys, with a cellar. The walls are of
brick with stone dressings; the roofs are covered
with slate. It was built apparently in the 17th
century, and is part of a large house, which formerly
extended towards the S.; much of the original
building was pulled down in 1859–60; the S. end
of the present house, then of three storeys, was
reduced to two storeys, and the upper storey was
added to the middle part, then of one storey. The
domestic offices, at the N. end, formerly farm buildings, are of a later date than the rest of the house.
The plan is rectangular, with small projections on
the N.W. and S.W. A drawing preserved at the
new Manor House shows the original E. front
with four gables. The S. Elevation is now the front
of the house; the wall has been re-faced with
modern brick and has stone quoins; the five windows and the doorway are original and of stone.
The W. Elevation has been partly re-faced with
modern brick, and has stone quoins; at the S.
end, on the ground floor, is a large bay window.
The N. Elevation has two gables. The E.
Elevation has, at the S. end, original stone
quoins and windows with keystones. Interior:—
The walls of the older part of the house are lined
with oak panelling, much of it being of the 17th century. Several chimney pieces are made up of old oak
panelling; that in the dining room is composed of
a bedstead of mid 17th-century date. The new
Manor House contains the following fittings, said
to come from the old house:—some panelling, the
hand-rails of the staircase, and a chimney piece
made up with panelling and Ionic shafts, all of the
17th century, and in the ceiling of the hall, some
early 16th-century roundels carved with heads.
A barn, N.W. of the house, is probably of late
16th-century date, and possibly was formerly a
tithe-barn. The walls are of brick, pierced with
two rows of narrow loop lights, each about 3 inches
wide, and having splayed inner jambs. The roof
is tiled. The main block is rectangular and consists of five bays, each about 12 ft. long; in the
middle of each side is a projecting bay, making
the plan cruciform; that on the E. side is gabled
and has a large doorway; on the W. side the main
roof is continued down over the projection. Interior:—At each end of the roof of the main block
is a truss with cambered tie-beams, curved and
ornamental struts and braced collar-beams: the
other trusses have no tie-beams.
The stables, N.E. of the house, consist of
a rectangular building, dated 1642, with two
wings of later date at the back. The original
block is of two storeys, built of brick, and
covered with modern rough-cast in front. The
roofs are tiled, and there was formerly a clock
tower. The building is divided by an archway,
which has been re-built, but over it is a stone panel
bearing the date 1642. In the harness room there
are some moulded ceiling-beams and a carved
(3). Stocks, in Addington Park, S.E. of the
church, have old uprights and leg-boards with four
holes; the boards are broken and repaired with
iron straps. The original iron lock-clamp remains
on the upper board.