106. ASTON ABBOTS.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxiv. S.W. (b)xxviii. N.E.)
a (1). Parish Church of St. James the Great
stands at the N. end of the village. It was re-built
in 1865–6, except the West Tower, which is of rough
ashlar, and of late 15th or early 16th-century date.
Some 14th-century work has been re-set in the
Architectural Description—The Chancel has an
E. window of three lights, all modern, except the
internal label and part of the splay which are 14th-century work, re-set. One window in the N. wall,
and one in the S. wall, each of two lights and
tracery, also have old stones re-set. The West
Tower (9½ ft. by 9 ft.) is of one high stage with large
diagonal buttresses at the W. angles, and a square
S.E. stair-turret. All the detail is of late 15th or
early 16th-century date. The tower arch is of
three chamfered orders dying into the side walls.
In the S. wall is a square-headed chamfered
doorway opening into the stair-turret. The W.
doorway has a straight-sided four-centred head of
two chamfered orders dying into the single deep
hollow chamfer of the jambs; the stops of the
external label are uncut. The W. window is of
three trefoiled lights under a four-centred head
with an external label. The E. and W. walls of
the bell-chamber have each two windows, the N.
and S. walls one window, all single lights with
roughly pointed or four-centred heads.
Fittings—Bells: five, 1st, 2nd, and 4th, by
Anthony Chandler, 1652. Chests: In tower—plain,
possibly 17th-century or earlier date. In nave—
at W. end, with curved lid bound with floriated
bands and studded with nails, in front two enriched
moulded panels, on lid inscription and date, 1695.
Font: plain octagonal bowl, octagonal base broachstopped on square plinth, apparently 15th-century,
much scraped and restored, said to have been
brought from elsewhere. Piscina: In chancel—
in S. wall, with moulded pointed head, apparently
15th-century. Plate: includes cup and cover
paten of 1562, both originally parcel-gilt, but little
Condition—Good; re-built except tower; bell-chamber windows much weathered.
a(2). The Royal Oak Inn, about 370 yards S.E.
of the church, is of two storeys, partly timber-framed, with plaster and brick filling, and partly
of brick. The roofs are thatched and tiled. It
consists of a rectangular block, facing E., built
late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, and
a wing, making the plan T-shaped, added in the
18th century, when the original building was much
altered, the walls being partly under-built. The
timber-framing of the original house has heavy
wall-posts with curved braces; the first floor projects at the S. end, which has a half-hipped gable.
There are dormer windows in the thatch. The
chimneys apparently have been re-built.
b(3). Lower Burston Farm, about one mile
S.W. of the church, is a house of two storeys, built
of brick c. 1600, and almost completely re-built in
the 18th and 19th centuries, much of the original
brickwork being re-used; the roofs are tiled. The
plan is roughly L-shaped, but the original arrangement has been completely altered. In the S. wall,
on the ground floor, is a window of c. 1600 and of
five lights with moulded jambs, head and mullions.
In the farmyard are some fragments of carved
stone of the 15th century. A stone re-used as the
quoin of an out-building is carved with a guilloche
pattern, and is of c. 1600.