(O.S. 6 in. (a)vi. N.W. (b)vi. S.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Peter, stands at
the W. end of the village, and has walls of stone
rubble, partly covered with cement, and partly
with plaster. The roofs are covered with lead,
except those of the chancel and porch, which are
tiled. The N., S. and E. walls of the Nave are
probably of late 12th or early 13th-century date,
but only some re-used stones in the chancel arch
and inside the tower show detail of that period;
c. 1340, the chancel was re-built and the South Aisle
was added; the West Tower was built c. 1400,
cutting several feet off the W. end of the nave, and
destroying the W. respond and part of the westernmost arch of the S. arcade, the axis being S. of that
of the nave. In the second half of the 15th century
the Chancel was again re-built, and in the 16th
century the clearstorey was added to the nave, and
probably a S. porch was built. The whole church
was restored and the South Porch re-built in the
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24½ ft.
by 14 ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three
trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded external label. In the N. wall is a
modern window. In the S. wall are two windows, the
eastern is of the 15th century and of two trefoiled
lights with tracery under a square head having
a moulded external label; the western window is
modern: between the windows is a 15th-century
doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred
head under a plain external label, which is possibly
modern. The chancel arch is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, with a plain label on the W.
side; it was re-built in the 14th century, 12th and
13th-century material being re-used in the outer
order of the arch and in the jambs, which have
half-round shafts; the moulded capitals and bases
are of the 14th century. The Nave (37 ft. by
20½ ft.) has an embattled parapet of early 16th-century date. In the N. wall is a window of two
uncusped three-centred lights under a square head
with a moulded external label, all of early 16th-century date, except the splays and rear arch,
which are of the 14th century: at the W. end of
the wall is a blocked 14th-century doorway which
has chamfered jambs and two-centred head with
an external label. The S. arcade is of c. 1340, and
of four bays, the fourth bay being reduced to nearly
half the original width by the encroachment of the
tower; the columns and E. respond are of quatrefoil plan, with moulded bases and capitals; the
arches are two-centred, and of two chamfered
orders, with a plain label on the N. side. The
clearstorey has, on each side, three 16th-century
windows, each of three uncusped lights under a
four-centred head with a moulded label, which has
shield-stops bearing either a cross or a saltire.
The South Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has an early 16th-century parapet similar to that of the nave. In
the S. wall are three windows of c. 1340, the easternmost of three foiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head with an external label; the two
western windows are partly restored, and each of
two trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred
head with an external label: W. of the windows is
a doorway, also of c. 1340, with shafted jambs,
partly restored, and with modern capitals; the
head is two-centred and of two moulded orders
with an external label which has modern stops.
The West Tower (11 ft. by 8 ft.) is of three stages,
with a large octagonal stair-turret at the N.W.
corner, and an embattled parapet. The two-centred tower arch is of c. 1400, and of three chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds which
have moulded capitals and chamfered bases. The
W. window is of c. 1340, and is similar to the western
windows of the S. aisle; it was moved probably
from the W. wall of the nave when the tower was
added, and is not in the middle of the elevation;
over the blank space S. of it is a label of cement,
enclosed, with the window, in a chamfered two-centred blank arch; in the N.W. corner, opening
into the stair turret, is a small doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The second
stage has, in the W. wall, a small single-light window
of c. 1400, with chamfered jambs and two-centred
head. The bell-chamber has, in the E. wall, a
window of two cinque-foiled lights under a square
head, of late 15th-century date, except the rear arch
and inner splays which are of c. 1400; the N., S.,
and W. walls have each a window of c. 1400 and of
two trefoiled lights with tracery. The South Porch
has a 16th-century outer archway, re-set, with a
four-centred head and chamfered label; the jambs
have chamfered bases and imposts. The Roof of the
nave is of early 16th-century date, flat-pitched, of
three and a half bays, with large moulded tie-beams,
moulded ridge, intermediate rafters and purlins,
covered with plaster between the timbers. The
flat lean-to roof of the S. aisle is of the same date
as that of the nave, and is of four bays, with
moulded wall-plates and principal rafters, chamfered wall-pieces and moulded purlin, covered with
plaster between the timbers.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st inscribed 'Sancta
Katerina Ora Pro Nobis', 2nd inscribed 'Sit Nomen
Domini Benedictum', both by John Walgrave, early
15th-century; 3rd by James Keene, 1631. Brasses
and Indents. Brasses: In nave—on N. wall, (1)
to Roger Keston, 1409, inscription only, slightly
mutilated. In S. aisle—on E. wall, (2) of Thomas
Chivnale, 1534, Emma and Alice his wives, figures,
of man in fur-lined gown, two women in furtrimmed gowns and loose caps, inscription in
English and verse in Latin, with symbols of St.
Matthew and St. Luke. Indent: In S. aisle—
near E. end, partly covered by seats, of figures,
inscription and symbols, see brass (2). Chair:
In chancel—with carved back, shaped arms,
turned legs, plain foot rail and carved top rail,
mid 17th-century. Chest: In S. aisle—with three
carved panels in front, moulded framing, carved
upper rail, panelled lid, 17th-century. Communion
Table and Rails: table with turned legs, moulded
rails, late 17th-century; rails, now under chancel
arch, with turned balusters, plain posts, moulded
upper rail, small iron drop-handle to gate, 17th-century. Doors: In S. aisle—in S. doorway, of
battens, with frame planted on, large strap-hinges,
probably 17th-century. In tower—in doorway of
stair-turret, with frame planted on and strap-hinges, 16th or 17th-century. Font: octagonal
bowl, chamfered at the bottom, square stem,
having at each angle attached shaft with moulded
capital, S., E., and W. sides of stem carved with
various designs, including Stafford knot on S.
side, 14th-century, now painted. Locker: In
chancel—at S.E. corner, square, rebated, covered
with plaster. Monument: In chancel—on N.
wall, to Samuel Cranmer, collateral descendant
of Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury,
1640, and to Mary (Wood), his second wife, afterwards wife of Sir Henry Chester, Knight of the
Bath, 1684; monument erected by their son,
Cæsar Wood, alias Cranmer, 1685; of grey and
white marble, with two Corinthian columns,
entablature, curved broken pediment, and achievement of arms. Panelling: In S. aisle—in backs
and ends of some modern seats, with moulded
framing, 17th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—
in sill of S.E. window, with plain circular basin,
probably 14th-century. In S. aisle—at E. end of
S. wall, with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head,
circular basin, with raised sexfoil, 14th-century.
Plate: includes cup, 18th or 19th-century, with
stem of c. 1570; knife and fork with silver handles,
probably late 17th-century. Seating: In nave—
at W. end, four complete seats, parts of four others,
with plain backs and moulded rails, panelled
standards with moulded rails, and small attached
buttresses, one buttress with remains of crocketed
finial, plain seats, late 15th-century. Stoup: In S.
aisle—E. of S. doorway, recess with straight-sided
pointed head. Miscellanea: S. aisle—on jamb of
S.W. window, outside, sundial, incised. Tower—
built into upper part of walls, a few worked stones,
late 12th or early 13th-century.
Condition—Fairly good; ivy at E. end of S.
aisle; external plaster weak in some parts; floor
somewhat uneven, owing to settlement.
Homestead Moats (2–3)
b(2). 450 yards E. of the church.
a(3). W. of Dove House, about ¾ of a mile N. of
the church, fragment of an apparently circular
a(4). Dove House, formerly a dovecot attached
to Astwoodbury House, now a cottage, 1500 yards
N. of the church, on the E. side of the road. It is
an octagonal building of two storeys, and probably
of late 17th-century date; the walls are of red and
black bricks in Flemish bond, with larger bricks at
the angles, and a moulded plinth. The pyramidal
roof is tiled.
The following cottages are of the 17th century,
and are timber-framed with brick filling, partly
restored with modern brick; the roofs are tiled.
a(5). Cottages, two, formerly a farmhouse
belonging to Astwoodbury House, and Barn,
¾ mile N.W. of the church, on the W. side of the
road. The Cottages are of two storeys and an attic.
The plan is rectangular, with modern additions,
and the W. end is covered with rough-cast.
Interior:—On the ground floor two rooms have
chamfered ceiling-beams with moulded stops; the
wide fireplaces are partly blocked.
The Barn, E. of the cottages, and probably of
the same date, is a rectangular building of stone,
with gabled ends.
Condition—Of cottages and barn, fairly good.
b(6). Cottages, three, about ¼ mile E. of the
church, on the N. side of the road, are of two
storeys. At the back two panels have wattle and
daub filling. One small chimney is probably
a(7). Bury Farm, about 1 mile N.N.E. of the
church, is a house of two storeys and an attic.
The walls are timber-framed with modern brick
filling; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the
17th century on a T-shaped plan, the central wing
extending towards the S.; on the E. side is a large
modern addition. Interior:—On the ground floor
are two chamfered ceiling-beams.
b(8). House, formerly the farmhouse, now
tenements, at Green Valley Farm, about ¾ mile
S.E. of the church. It is of two storeys, built in
the first half of the 17th century. The walls are
timber-framed with brick filling, partly covered
with plaster and partly restored with modern
brick. The roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped,
the wings extending towards the S. and W., with
a modern addition on the E. side. The S. wing has
a heavy chimney stack, the lower part of stone and
the upper part of 17th-century brick. Interior:—
On the ground floor two rooms have stop-chamfered ceiling-beams.