108. BARTON HARTSHORN.
(O.S. 6 in. xvii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. James, stands at the
E. end of the village, and is built of stone rubble,
with dressings of limestone. The roofs are tiled.
The Nave was built probably in the 13th century;
windows were inserted in the 14th and 16th centuries; the South Porch was added in the 18th
century. The Chancel was re-built in the 19th
century, when North and South Transepts were
added to it and a bell-cot was erected over the W.
end of the nave; the North Vestry and North Porch
are also modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel and
Nave (63½ ft. by 14 ft.) are without structural
division. The Chancel is entirely modern. The
North and South Transepts are modern. The
Nave has, in the N. wall, two square-headed windows, probably of the 16th century; the eastern
window is of two lights, the western of one light:
between them is the N. doorway with chamfered
jambs possibly of the 14th century; the flat
segmental head has been re-set and re-cut. In the
S. wall are two windows, each of two trefoiled lights
under a square head with an external label, all of
late 14th-century date, except the head of the
western window which is modern: between the
windows is the S. doorway with chamfered jambs
and moulded two-centred head; it is of the 13th
century, but has been re-built. In the W. wall is
a 13th-century lancet window, rebated for a shutter;
below the window is a blocked doorway with
chamfered jambs and four-centred head, probably
of the 16th century. The North Porch and Vestry
are modern. The South Porch is of the 18th
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible, said to be
inscribed, 1st 'Jacobus est nomen ejus', 2nd
'Jhesupieflosmarie', both probably 14th-century.
Communion Table: with turned baluster legs and
slightly moulded rails, 17th-century. Door: In
nave—in N. doorway, plain, with strap hinges,
uncertain date. Plate: includes cup of 1570, with
band of ornament round bowl, and moulded stem.
Tiles: In vestry—six, 'slip', with brown pattern
on yellow ground, 15th-century. Monuments: In
churchyard—against S. porch, lying loose, (1)
headstone to Peeter Paxton, 1673; in S. wall, near
the gate, (2) headstone of 1700, rest of inscription
Condition—Good, but much ivy on E. wall.
(2). The Manor, house and cottage, S.E. of the
church. The House is of two storeys with an attic
and cellar, and is almost entirely modern, but incorporates part of a building, of roughly squared
stone, and of 1635, the date on a gable. The
roofs are tiled. The 17th-century plan was possibly
of H or half-H shape, facing N., but all that remains
of the original building is a projecting block at the
N.W. corner of the present house, the staircase
further E., and possibly the room, now the entrance
hall, E. of the staircase; the N.W. block contains
one room on each floor. The gabled N. Elevation
has been much altered; the N. wall of the
staircase is old, up to the first landing; in the
cellar the staircase is lighted by a window with
chamfered reveal and mullions. The W. Elevation
has one gable, in which is a stone inscribed
'1635. T.I.'; each floor is lighted by an original
window of four, three, or two lights, with moulded
reveal, mullions and label of stone; the windows of
the cellar are similar, but the reveal and mullions
are chamfered. In the return S. wall on each
floor is an original window. Interior:—In the
N.W. block, on the ground floor, is an original
fireplace with a moulded four-centred head of wood
and moulded jambs of stone; in the ceiling are two
moulded beams. The entrance hall is paved with
old stones, and the walls are lined with 17th-century
panelling, re-set and made up with modern work;
the ceiling-beams are moulded. The original staircase, from the cellar to the attic, has a close
string, moulded handrail, turned double-ended
balusters, and square newels which have sunk
panels with debased trefoiled heads and square
moulded finials. In the N.W. block, on the first
floor, is a ceiling-beam similar to those on the
The Cottage, in the grounds, about 200 yards W.
of the house, is of two storeys and an attic, built of
stone rubble, with additions of brick; the roofs
are covered with tiles and slate. It is in two blocks,
one running N. and S., the other at the N.W. angle,
running E. and W., and is apparently part of
an early 16th-century building much altered in
the 18th and 19th centuries, when additions were
made on the W. Each block has a separate roof
and is gabled at the ends; many of the windows are
original, and nearly all of them are of three lights,
with four-centred heads, set in moulded square
reveals, with moulded mullions and labels.
Condition—Of house, good; of cottage, fairly
good; both much altered.
(3). King's End Farm, N.W. of the church, is a
house of two storeys, built of stone in the 17th
century, on an L-shaped plan; a later addition has
been made in the angle between the wings. The
roofs are tiled, but were formerly covered with
stone slabs, of which a few still remain near the
house. The large central chimney stack is original.
Interior:—Some of the rooms have wide open
fireplaces, partly blocked, and chamfered ceiling-beams.
A barn E. of the house is probably contemporary
with it; the walls are of stone, partly weather-boarded; the roof is thatched.