(O.S. 6 in. xiv. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of the Assumption of
the Virgin, at the N.W. end of the village, is
built of yellow limestone rubble; the roofs are
covered with lead and with tiles. The former
church existing on the site was re-built during the
first half of the 14th century. The North Aisle
was built first, probably as an addition to an aisleless Nave, and soon afterwards the Chancel was
re-built and enlarged to its present size, the South
Aisle and West Tower were added, and the clearstorey was constructed. Early in the 15th century
the aisles, except the arcades, were re-built. In the
the 19th and 20th centuries the South Porch and
the North Vestry, with the Organ-chamber, were
added, and a wooden bell-chamber was built, the
chancel was almost entirely re-built, and the whole
church much restored.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (28 ft.
by 14 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall
is a modern window and a modern arch opening
into the organ-chamber. In the S. wall are two
windows; the eastern is of the 14th century, and of
two trefoiled lights with an uncusped opening in a
two-centred head; it has been re-set and much restored; the western window is of late 16th or early
17th-century date, and of two uncusped lights under
a square head with a moulded external label, which
is much defaced: between the windows is a small
14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and
two-centred head, re-set and restored; the moulded
imposts have been cut away and chamfered. The
14th-century chancel arch is two-centred, and of
two chamfered orders carried on simple moulded
capitals with a grotesque head-corbel on the N. side,
and a foliated corbel on the S. side; the label in the
nave is moulded. The Vestry, with Organ-chamber,
is modern, but re-set in the E. wall is an early 15th-century window of three trefoiled lights with
tracery under a square head. The Nave (33 ft. by
14½ ft.) has an early 14th-century N. arcade of
three bays; the arches are two-centred and of two
chamfered orders, with a label similar to that of the
chancel arch; the columns are quatrefoil on plan,
and have moulded capitals of slightly varied design;
the bases are moulded; the outer order of the
E. and W. arches is continued down the responds,
and the inner order is carried on moulded capitals
with foliated corbels. The S. arcade is of three
bays, and is similar to the N. arcade, but of slightly
later date; the detail of the capitals is similar to
that in the chancel arch; the capital of the E.
respond is carried on a foliated corbel, that of the
W. respond on a grotesque head-corbel. The
clearstorey has three N. and three S. windows, each
of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, and apparently of the same date as
the S. arcade. The North Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has
modern flying buttresses from the N. wall of the
nave. In the E. wall, opening into the vestry, is
a modern arch. In the N. wall are two 15th
century windows, the eastern of three, the western
of two lights, with tracery; the heads are square;
both windows have been considerably restored,
and between them is a modern doorway. The W.
window is modern; against the W. wall is a flight
of steps, beginning about 5 ft. above the ground,
and possibly leading originally to the second stage
of the tower, but with no remaining traces of an
entrance. The South Aisle (8 ft. wide) has, in the
E. wall, a late 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights with a transom and tracery under a
two-centred head. In the S. wall are two 14th-century windows, similar to those in the N. aisle,
but less restored: between the windows is the
S. doorway, which is apparently of the 14th
century, but considerably scraped and restored;
the jambs and two-centred head are of two continuously chamfered orders, and the label is similar
to that of the S. arcade. The West Tower (6 ft. by
5½ ft.) is of three stages, with diagonal buttresses
rising to the top of the second stage, and a plain
parapet surmounted by a modern bell-chamber of
wood; above it is a modern shingled spire; the rest
of the tower is possibly of the 14th century, but has
been much restored, if not re-built; the stages are
marked by moulded string-courses, much restored.
The tower arch is of two chamfered orders; the
outer order has broach-stops at the springing, the
inner order rests on rough corbels; the jambs are
square. The W. window is of two lights, but only
the pointed opening is old. In the third stage, low
down in the S. wall, is a square opening of the 14th
century, filled with tracery. The Roof of the nave
is dated 1622, on the tie-beam of the E. truss, and
is of low pitch, with four principals, which have
cusped wall-brackets, moulded purlins, etc. The
roof of the N. aisle is modern, except two principals,
which are probably of the same date as the roof of
Fittings—Bells: include sanctus, by Richard
Chandler, 1695. Brackets: In S. aisle—on N. side
of E. window, chamfered, 15th-century; on S. side,
completely restored. Brasses (see also Monument
(2)): In nave—at E. end, (1) to William Elmor,
1652. In N. aisle—in modern slab, (2) of William
Bawdyn, blacksmith, 1600, figure of man in civilian
dress, with inscription and verse. In S. aisle—at
E. end, in modern slab, (3) of 'Ales,' daughter of
William Mathew, of Calverton, wife of George
Baldwyn, 1611, woman's figure in ruff, head-veil,
cape and full skirt, plate with figures of two sons, two
daughters, and inscription. Locker: In N. aisle—
in N. wall, rectangular, rebated for doors. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—
on N. wall, in modern recess, (1) of Simon Benet,
1682, bust of white marble on moulded pedestal of
black marble, in architectural setting with Ionic
columns carrying architrave, frieze and curved
pediment of veined marble, shield of the arms of
Benet with helm crested with a half-lion coming
out of a mural crown, Latin inscription on pedestal;
on S. wall, (2) to Mathew Pigot, 'pastoure of this
church and of Calverton', 1598, in elaborate crudely
worked frame of stone, with hour-glass, panel with
shrouded figure holding skull, broken pediment
carried on Ionic pilasters resting on trunks of trees,
inscription on brass plate. Floor-slab: In chancel
—to Sir Simon Benet, baronet, 1631, lozenge, of
marble, with incised circle, foliated corners and
inscription. Piscina: In S. aisle—with trefoiled
two-centred head, round basin, 15th-century.
Stoup: In N. aisle—on E. side of N. doorway,
niche with rounded chamfered head, no basin,
Condition—Good; much restored.
(2). Hall Farm, house and fishpond, on the
S. bank of the river Ouse, 300 yards N. of the
church. The House is of two storeys, with a basement at the S. end; the walls are of stone. The
roofs are tiled. The present building is a N.
addition made early in the 17th century to a house
probably of c. 1500, which was pulled down in the
18th century; some of the material was re-used
in the present outbuildings.
The house is an interesting example of domestic
architecture of early 17th-century date, and the
contemporary staircase is especially noteworthy.
The plan consists of a main block running N. and
S., with N.W. and S.E. wings. The N. part of the
house has been considerably altered internally and
modern partitions have been inserted in it. The
S. part is now uninhabited and retains much of the
original arrangement; the floors are on a different
level to those of the N. part, the ground rising
towards the S.; the basement contains two rooms
divided by a passage, one, with the principal staircase, being in the main block, the other in the S.E.
wing under the Great Chamber which adjoined the
former hall. The original windows have moulded
stone jambs, heads and mullions, and many of them
have labels. S. Elevation:—The gabled end of
the main block has been slightly extended towards
the E. and has a moulded plinth; on the ground
floor is a window, partly blocked and converted
into a doorway, in which is a 17th-century panelled
door, formerly in the Great Chamber; in the gable
is a window of four lights; the S.E. wing is slightly
set back from the main block, and the W. half of
the wing has a gable which probably indicates the
roof-line of the N. end of the former hall; the E.
half has one small window. The N.W. wing has
some original windows; the doorway, now the
principal entrance, is modern. W. Elevation:—
The N.W. wing is gabled, and has no windows at
the W. end; the main block has a gable towards
the S. end; in the basement is a window of four
lights; the two windows on the ground floor are
modern; on the first floor are four windows, each
of four lights, the two under the gable are larger
than the others, and in the head of the gable is a
similar window, now blocked. N. Elevation:—
The N.W. wing has four windows on each floor,
some of them original; the doorway, at the E. end,
is modern. The S.E. wing has a doorway with a
nail-studded panelled door of the 17th century,
and three windows, those on the first floor being
blocked. E. Elevation (see Plate, p. 61):—The
N.W. wing and the main block are partly covered
with plaster; the wing is gabled and has two windows on the ground floor and one, of five lights,
under the gable. The main block has one window
on the ground floor and two on the first floor. The
S.E. wing is also gabled, and has, on the first floor,
the bay window of the Great Chamber; it is of
seven lights, with moulded mullions and transom:
over it is a blocked window. One chimney stack
is of stone, the others are of thin bricks, with
Interior:—At the S. end of the house, in the
basement, the ceiling of the W. room has moulded
cross-beams, which had formerly a boss in the
middle; the E. room, under the Great Chamber,
has plain ceiling-beams. On the first floor the
Great Chamber is lined with 17th-century oak
panelling, now painted; it is probably of slightly
later date than the house, and has a deal frieze of
a still later date; two windows in the N. wall are
now covered by the panelling; in the bay window
is some glass, probably of the 16th century, representing a shield enclosed in a garter, a portcullis,
etc.; in the S. wall is a stone fireplace, with a
depressed head, now blocked; on the same floor
are three similar fireplaces, one of them is blocked,
and one is in the N. part of the house. The staircase is in four flights; the three lower flights have
moulded and carved hand-rails, turned balusters,
carved fasciæ and newel-posts, with finials carved
as heraldic beasts, two collared unicorns, a lion
and a griffin, each holding a shield; the fourth
flight has turned balusters, carved fascia and newelposts; the edges of the treads are slightly moulded.
On the landing of the second flight, opening into
the Great Chamber, is a moulded doorway, the
original door being now in an outer doorway on
the ground floor (see S. elevation).
In the grounds, on the S., are remains of a
boundary wall with gate-posts, probably of the
same date as the present house; on the N.W. are
fragments of another wall, with a doorway having
moulded jambs, apparently of c. 1500. In the
outbuildings are some re-used worked stones from
the original house, including—in the stables, the
head of a doorway, and two moulded window-frames; in a barn, a nail-studded panelled oak
door; in a summer-house, some heads of two-centred windows, with moulded jambs. The Fishpond is E. of the house.
Condition—Sound structurally; the N. part of
the house, good, altered internally; the S. part
uninhabited, internally in bad repair, especially
These cottages are all of two storeys, built in the
17th century, and, except one, are partly of stone,
partly of timber and brick. The roofs are thatched.
Main street, S.W. side
(3). Cottages, two, 250 yards S.E. of the church,
probably originally one house. The two chimney
stacks are of early 17th-century brick, and have
each two square shafts set diagonally; one stack
has a stone base and the other a brick base.
Interior:—The N. cottage has a wide open fireplace and a chamfered ceiling-beam.
Condition—Good; the S. cottage has been recently restored and altered.
(4). Cottage, about ¼ mile S.E. of the church.
Some of the windows have old metal casements.
Interior:—On the ground floor is a wide open fireplace and a chamfered ceiling-beam.
Lane, leading to Elmer School, N. side
(5). Cottage, about 530 yards S.E. of the church.
The walls are timber-framed, with plaster filling,
and much of the timber-framing is covered with
plaster. The building was originally of central
chimney type, but has been considerably altered;
an outhouse at the N.E. end makes the plan L-shaped. At the S.W. end the upper storey projects.
The doors and windows are of rough construction,
with a few original iron casements of simple type.
The chimney stack is of stone, re-built with brick
at the top.
(6). Cottage, about 730 yards S.E. of the church.
It is of central chimney type and at each end is a
half-hipped gable. The doors and windows are
rough and plain. The brick chimney stack is
probably of late 17th-century date.
(7). Elmer School, now a farmhouse, about half a
mile S.E. of the church, is of two storeys and an
attic, built of stone rubble in the second half of the
17th century, and altered in the 18th and 19th
centuries. The roofs are tiled. The plan is rectangular, with a projecting porch on the S.W.
front. A chamfered stone plinth is carried round
the building; the windows have wood frames and
mullions. The outer doorway of the porch has a
semi-circular head with a simple moulded archivolt.
At each end of the house is a gable and a plain
stone chimney stack; the roof, with a cupola and
dormer windows, is of the 18th or 19th century.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(8). The Grange, a farmhouse, opposite to Elmer
School, is of two storeys, built in the 17th century,
and said to be dated 1629; the walls of the lower
storey are of stone, of the upper storey timber-framed, with filling of modern brick. The roofs
are tiled. The plan was originally of the central
chimney type, with a projecting porch on the S.W.
front; a long narrow lean-to addition at the back
and N.W. end and a wing at the S.E. end were
added probably in the 19th century. On the
S.W. Elevation the upper storey projects, and has
a gable with a modern barge-board: the porch
has an open lower storey; the sides are formed
by turned balusters set on dwarf walls with a
narrow opening; the doorway is framed with
heavy moulded timbers, and above it the upper
storey is timber-framed, and has a gabled projecting
window with moulded mullions, supported on
shaped brackets; in the gable is said to be a small
medallion inscribed '1629. W.E.', now hidden by
creepers. The N.E. Elevation is covered by the
lean-to addition. Interior:—The first floor is
supported by two chamfered beams.
Condition—Fairly good; the porch has settled
slightly, but is strengthened by modern posts.