(O.S. 6 in. (a)ix. S.W. (b)xiv. N.E.)
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints, at the
S. end of the village, was re-built in 1824 partly on
the foundations of the former church, but with a
W. tower instead of a N.E. tower; some of the
old material was re-used inside the present building.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23½ ft.
by 17 ft.) has a chancel arch, possibly partly
of late 14th-century date, but much painted.
The Nave (48½ ft. by 24½ ft.) has a S. arcade of
three bays; the pillars and capitals, and two of
the four orders of the arches are apparently of
late 14th-century date, re-built. The West Tower
has a tower arch with continuously moulded jambs
and two-centred outer order, probably of the 15th
century, re-used and with a modern arch under it.
a(2). The Manor House, 100 yards N. of the
church, is of two storeys and an attic, built of
coursed stone; the roofs are tiled. The middle
part of the house is probably of late 15th or early
16th-century date, and is roughly L-shaped, consisting of a main block facing W., and a shallow
N.E. wing; late in the 16th century a wing was
added on the N. side of the original wing, extending
towards the E.; it contains one large room,
probably built for a dining hall. In 1659 a porch
was added on the W. front, the date being recorded
on a stone over the entrance archway, the attic
was built, and a wing was added at the S. end of the
main block, projecting slightly towards the E. and
W.; probably at the same time the late 16th-century wing was extended to the plane of the W.
front of the original building, and a one-storeyed
addition was built at the E. end of the same wing.
A few smaller additions and alterations are modern.
The building is of interest as an example of a
manor house of c. 1500, with later additions;
the stone used for the walls was probably quarried
on the site, or quite near to it.
The W. Elevation has, in the middle, a two-storeyed porch, with a three-centred entrance archway, which has moulded jambs, head, imposts
and keystone; over the keystone is a panel
inscribed with the initials 'S.B.' (for Simon Benet,
builder of the porch, etc.) and date '1659'; over
the imposts are shields; on the first floor of the
porch is a window of two lights with moulded jambs
and square head and a moulded label of stone;
over it is a gable with moulded stone coping and
corbels. The original building has, on the ground
floor, S. of the porch, a late 15th or early 16th-century window, of two lights with moulded
jambs, mullion and label of stone; N. of the
porch is a modern bay window, and beyond it
is a window of three lights with a wooden frame
and a lintel of moulded stone, probably of 1659.
On the first floor, S. of the porch, is a modern
window; N. of the porch is a window of four
lights similar to that of the porch, but without a
label; further N. is a window of two lights, with
a moulded stone lintel, probably part of the original
window; the wooden frame is of later date. The
attic has, on each side of the porch, two tall dormer
windows of 1659, each of two lights, of detail
similar to the window of the porch, and with gables
which have stone copings. The W. end of the E.
wing is on the same plane as the main wall, but
the roof is lower than that of the original building;
on the ground floor is a modern doorway, and
on the first floor a window of three lights with
a wooden frame, probably of late 17th-century
date. The S. wing projects beyond the main
wall, and has a gable with coping similar to that
of the porch; the windows are modern. The
three chimney stacks in the original building are
of stone, with shacks of modern brick; the northernmost stack is moulded to meet the narrow shaft.
In the E. Elevation the S. wing projects beyond
the main wall and has a half-hipped gable; on
the ground floor is a modern window; on the first
floor is a tall window of two lights, probably of late
17th-century date, now blocked. The original
building has, at the S. end, a window of two lights
with a wooden frame, possibly of late 17th-century
date; much of the wall is covered with ivy:
the N. half of the elevation projects in three
planes: the southernmost projection is gabled and
has a low outbuilding against it; on the first
floor is an original window of three lights with a
label; the gable is covered with rough-cast and was
probably added in 1659: the second projection
is probably modern, and has a hipped roof: the
third projection is gabled, and has, on the ground
floor, an original window of two lights. The
S. Elevation of the late 16th-century block, in the
middle of the E. wing, has two contemporary
windows, each of three lights with stone frame
and mullions, now blocked; the addition at the
E. end of the wing has a doorway, with a late
16th or early 17th-century door of moulded battens,
and a window of three lights, with a wooden frame,
probably of late 17th-century date; near the E.
end of the elevation is a small old opening with a
wooden frame, probably a vent. In the N.
Elevation, on the ground floor, at the E. end, is
a modern doorway; the late 16th-century block
has two contemporary windows, each of three
lights with panelled mullions, moulded jambs and
lintel and a moulded label, of stone; at the E. end
of the block is a chimney stack of stone, with a
moulded cap; at the W. end of the elevation is
a modern window.
Interior:—In the original building some plain
chamfered beams remain in the ceilings, and there
are two narrow staircases of old oak, one from
the ground floor to the first floor and another from
the first floor to the attic. In the late 16th-century block in the E. wing, on the ground floor,
is a stone fireplace which has moulded jambs
with moulded base-stops and a flat four-centred
arch in a square head. On the first floor of the
main block is some late 16th or early 17th-century
panelling, now painted, and in the attic is a similar
panelled door, and a door of moulded battens.
The timbers of the roof are apparently of late
17th or early 18th-century date.
Condition—Good; but the attic, now disused, has decayed floor-boards, and there is a
quantity of ivy on the walls at the back.
These buildings are of early 17th-century date,
except (3), and are of two storeys. The walls
generally are of stone; the roofs are thatched.
a(3). Cottage, 250 yards S.S.W. of the church,
on the E. side of the road. At the W. end is a
chimney stack of stone with a panel inscribed
'ROBERT1696'; the date is probably that of the main
building; the shaft is of thin bricks; the panel
is visible above a W. wing, of later date, built of
timber and brick. Interior:—There is one wide
fireplace, partly blocked.
b(4). House, now two cottages, at Middle
Weald, about ½ mile S.E. of the church, on the E.
side of the road. The plan is L-shaped, the wings
extending towards the S. and W. The ends of
both wings are gabled. In the W. wing the S.
doorway has an old oak frame, and the N. and E.
walls have each a window with an old frame. At
the W. end of the W. wing is an original projecting
chimney stack of stone with a brick shaft, and at
the S. end of the S. wing is an original stack of thin
bricks; the stack near the middle of the W. wing
is of slightly later date. Interior:—On the ground
floor the ceilings have stop-chamfered beams,
and there are three large open fireplaces; one
of them has a chamfered oak lintel, the others
are partly blocked.
Condition—Fairly good, but the roofs leak, and
some of the plaster is coming away from the
Upper Weald, N. side of the road
b(5). Cottage, about 1 mile S.E. of the church.
The S. front is of modern brick. The plan is
rectangular, with a central chimney stack which
has three detached square shafts built of thin
bricks. At the W. end of the original block is an
addition, probably of late 17th-century date,
built of timber and brick; it has, at the W. end,
a stone chimney stack with a modern brick shaft.
Interior:—In the original building the ceilings
have stop-chamfered beams, and there are two
large open fireplaces; one of them has a highly
cambered and stop-chamfered lintel, the other has
been partly blocked, but retains an original oven,
now disused. The later addition is now open
to the roof, the first floor having been removed.
b(6). Cottage, E. of (5). The walls are partly
of modern brick and at the W. end the upper
storey is timber-framed; at the back is a modern
addition, making the plan L-shaped.
Condition—Fairly good; much restored.
b(7). Cottages, a range, E. of (6). The walls are
of 18th-century and modern brick, except the S.
end, which is original, and has a chimney stack
built of thin bricks with pilasters on the N. and S.
sides. The roof is tiled.