(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxiii. S.E. (b)xxiv. N.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas, stands
in the middle of the village. The walls are of
stone, covered with rough-cast, except those of
the tower which are of ashlar. The roofs are tiled.
The Chancel, Nave, West Tower and North Porch
were built at the beginning of the 15th century.
In the 18th century a W. gallery was constructed,
and the South Porch was built in the 19th century.
The former church is said to have been at the W.
end of the present village, where an enclosure can
still be traced (see (2)), and a brass in the chancel
to John Dervyle, 1410, describes him as the first
rector of the present church.
The church is a small, but interesting example
of early 15th-century architecture. Among the
fittings the late 12th or early 13th-century chest
in the vestry is noteworthy (see Plate, p. 50).
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27½ ft.
by 13 ft.) is entirely of early 15th-century date
where not restored. The E. window is of three
trefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head,
externally much defaced with cement. There are
two windows in the N. wall and two in the
S. wall, each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a pointed head; at the W. end of the
S. wall is a low-side window, now blocked, which
has plain chamfered jambs and flat head. The
chancel arch is of two moulded orders, the inner
order carried on grotesque corbels, that on the N.
representing the crouching figure of a man in
gypon, hip-belt and hose, that on the S. a monkey.
The Nave (32½ ft. by 19½ ft.) is entirely of early
15th-century date. Two windows in the N. wall
and two in the S. wall, are each of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil in a pointed head; the
windows at the E. end of each wall are a little
larger than the others: between the windows are
the original N. and S. doorways, each with a two-centred head; the N. doorway is of one hollow
chamfered orders; the S. doorway is of two moulded
orders. The West Tower (6 ft. square) is of one tall
stage with diagonal buttresses and an embattled
parapet, which is the only part of the tower not of
the 15th century. The tower arch is of three
chamfered orders, the innermost resting on moulded
corbels. The W. window is of two trefoiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a pointed head, and is constructed with no internal splay, but with a deep
external reveal of five chamfered orders. The four
windows of the bell-chamber were originally each
of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a pointed
head, but all are much weathered and the mullions
and part of the quatrefoils of the N. and E. windows
are missing. The North Porch now forms a vestry
and the original moulded doorway has been partly
blocked and converted into a window with a wooden
Fittings—Bell: one, by Anthony Chandler,
1667. Books: At the rectory—(1) Foxe's Book of
Martyrs, 3 vols., 17th-century; (2) Bible of 1638.
Bracket: In nave—on S. wall, small, crudely
carved as head of woman, 15th-century. Brasses:
In chancel—(1) to John Dervyle, 1410, 'p'mi
rectoris isti ecclie~'; (2) to William Brandin, 1441,
rector of the parish. Chair: In chancel—with
carved back, curved arms, turned legs, late 17th-century. Chest: In vestry—of oak, plain, rough,
with iron hinges and hasps, small semi-circular
cable-ornament on feet, late 12th or early 13th-century. Lectern: In gallery—of wood, with
turned post, curved feet and braces, revolving
hexagonal desk, given by Joseph Neale, 1685, as
inscribed on desk. Niches: In chancel—on each
side of E. window, with trefoiled heads, small
pedestals and embattled cornices, 15th-century.
Piscina: In chancel—in E. splay of S.E. window
(see sedile), small, with trefoiled head and stone
shelf, no drain, 15th-century. Plate: includes
cup and cover paten of 1692, and flagon of pewter,
possibly 17th-century. Seating: In nave—some
plain open seats, 16th-century. Sedile: In chancel
—ledge of S.E. window cut down low to form seat.
Condition—Fairly good; the walls of the tower
are much weathered.
a (2). The Beacon (Fortified Mount) and Village Enclosure, 500 yards W. of the church. The
plan of the old village and part of the enclosure can
still be traced; in the middle is the mount, shown
on the Ordnance Survey maps as a tumulus; it is
20 feet above the bottom of the ditch and 148 feet
in diameter at the base.
These buildings are all, except (7), of 17th-century origin. The walls were formerly timber-framed, but have been much restored with 18th-century and modern brick; (3–4) are of two
storeys and have tiled roofs, the others of one
storeys and an attic, with thatched roofs.
Main road, S. side
a(3). Cottage, about 100 yards E. by S. of
the church. The plan is rectangular with a
projecting chimney stack at each end. The
chimneys have been partly re-built and enlarged.
a (4). The Unicorn Inn, about 50 yards S. of
the church, has been enlarged and the original
walling completely re-faced with 18th and 19th-century brick. The plan was probably originally
rectangular, but is now T-shaped. In the barparlour is a chamfered beam of early 17th-century
date, supported at one end by a wooden corbel
decorated with a star of acanthus leaves.
Condition—Good; much altered.
a(5). Cottage, now two tenements, W. of (4),
was originally of the central chimney type, but
two small wings, each of one storey, were added
on the N. front, probably in the 18th century;
both the wings and also the main building are
gabled. The central chimney has been re-built
with old thin bricks.
a(6). Cottage, 100 yards S.W. of the church.
The plan is rectangular; only the W. end of the
block is original, the rest was re-built with brick
in the 18th century. The 17th-century walls
retain some brick filling set in herring-bone pattern;
the gable at the W. end has a rough tie-beam and
a window with old iron casements. The chimney
has been re-built with old thin bricks.
a(7). Cottage, 60 yards W. of (6), was built
possibly in the 16th century, and was probably
of the central chimney type, but has been much
altered internally and externally. The original
timber-framing includes a few wall-posts and
diagonal braces. The roof is half-hipped and the
S. gable is weather-boarded.
b(8). Niels Farm, about ½ mile N.E. of the
church, is a house of two storeys built late in the
16th or early in the 17th century, on an H-shaped
plan. The S.W. front was re-faced with brick
in the 18th century, when the doorways and windows were altered and the chimney stacks re-built.
The other walls retain their original timber-framing,
somewhat closely set, but the brick filling is of
later date. The roofs are tiled.