(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxii. N.W. (b)xxii. S.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Michael, stands
at the N.E. end of the village and is built of stone
rubble. The roofs are covered with lead, except
that of the chancel, which is tiled. The N. wall
of the Nave is probably partly of the 12th century.
The Chancel and chancel arch were re-built c. 1360.
In the second half of the 15th century the West
Tower was added, the S. wall of the nave re-built,
the N. wall probably heightened, and the parapet
of the nave added. The building was repaired in
1604. The North Vestry was added in 1875, and
the church subsequently restored.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft.
by 12½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall, near the E. end, is a doorway opening into
the vestry, all modern, except the upper part of
the internal splayed jambs, which were formerly
those of a window, the rest of the window being
now re-set in the vestry: near the W. end is a
single-light window of the 14th century, restored;
the pointed head has a moulded external label
with carved head-stops. In the S. wall are two
windows, the eastern a single cinque-foiled light
of the 14th century with a moulded external label;
the western window is similar to the other, but
with a square low-side light below a transom, much
restored, except the sill which is rebated for a
shutter. The two-centred chancel arch is of two
chamfered orders, and of the 14th century, much
restored; the jambs are modern, except the
moulded N. capital and S. base. The Nave
(28 ft. by 20 ft.) has a moulded parapet with two
carved grotesque faces on the N. side and one
on the S. side. In the N. wall is a window of two
lights with tracery, all modern except the sill and
part of the external jambs. In the S. wall are two
windows of late 15th-century date; the eastern
is of three trefoiled lights with modern mullions
under a four-centred head which has a moulded
external label; the western is of two trefoiled
lights under a straight-sided four-centred head
with pierced spandrels and an external label
which has plain shield-stops; the mullion has
been restored: between the windows is the late
15th-century S. doorway with moulded jambs
and four-centred head: near the E. end is a
projecting staircase, which led to the former
rood-loft, and has two 15th-century doorways; the
lower doorway has rebated jambs and four-centred
head; built into the wall over it, and used as a
relieving arch, is the semi-circular head of a
12th-century window; the upper doorway, now
blocked, has a square head, and over it is a small
trefoiled window which formerly lighted the
rood-loft. The West Tower (9 ft. square) is of
two stages with diagonal buttresses at the W.
angles, and an embattled parapet. The detail is
of late 15th-century date. The tower arch is
two-centred, of two chamfered orders, and extends
the full width of the tower. The W. doorway is
slightly restored, and has moulded jambs and
two-centred head with a moulded external label;
the W. window is of two cinque-foiled lights and
tracery in a two-centred head. The upper stage
has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights
with a pierced spandrel. The Vestry is modern,
but in the N. wall is a 14th-century cinque-foiled
light with a moulded external label re-set from
the chancel, except the splayed jambs, which are
modern. The 15th-century Roof of the nave is
flat-pitched, of three bays with chamfered tie-beams, wall-posts and brackets, purlins and ridge,
most of the ridge being modern; of the plain stone
corbels, only the two at the W. end are old.
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus, 3rd, by
James Keene, 1626. Door: In nave—in S.
doorway, of studded battens, with strap-hinges,
probably 17th-century, restored, moulded frame,
planted on, partly modern. Font: octagonal
bowl with plain sunk panels, octagonal stem with
broach-stops at base, 15th-century. Painting:
In chancel—on inner order of chancel arch, traces
of scroll pattern. Plate: includes cup and cover
paten of 1569. Screen: In chancel—on N. side,
back of return stall made up of lower part of rood-screen, with plain chamfered top rail, rebated
door-jamb and stop-chamfered muntins, probably
16th-century. Seating: In chancel—on N. side,
oak standard with small foliated finial, late 15th
or early 16th-century. In nave—at W. end, five
standards with trefoil finials, two complete for
seat and desk, two for back seat without desk,
one with desk only, 16th-century, restored. Miscellanea: In tower—built into N. wall, carved
head-corbel, 15th or early 16th-century. Nave—
on S. wall, outside, sundial. In churchyard—S.
of the church, large stone, partly buried, probably
base of churchyard cross.
Condition—Good; the walls have been repointed.
a(2). The Manor Farm, on the S. side of the
churchyard, is of two storeys and an attic, built
c. 1680. The plan is rectangular, facing S., with
a small N.E. wing of one storey; at the W. end
is a modern dairy. The original walls are of red
and blue bricks, with a plain projecting string-course dividing the storeys. The roofs are tiled.
The eaves are boarded, and the ends of the ceiling-joists project.
Interior:—Most of the ceilings have old beams,
but some are encased. The parlour has a large
open fireplace with chimney-corner seats. The
stairs are old and quite plain.
a(3). Rectory Farm or the Old Rectory, on
the W. side of the churchyard, is of two storeys
and an attic. The walls are of timber and brick;
the roofs are thatched. The house was originally
of the central chimney type, with a projecting
staircase on the W. side; it was built in the first
half of the 17th century and enlarged in the 18th
and 19th centuries. The E. and W. walls retain
a few original timbers, but are otherwise modern.
The central chimney stack is of 17th-century brick.
Interior:—The ceilings have original beams,
and the roof has curved wind-braces. Some of
the rooms have old oak floors.
Condition—Good, much restored.
These cottages are of two storeys, built in the
17th century and timber-framed, almost entirely
restored with modern brick; the roofs are thatched.
a (4). Cottage, 550 yards S.S.W. of the church,
has modern tenements at each end. The central
chimney stack is of early 17th-century brick.
b(5). Cottages, a group, 700 yards S.S.W. of
the church. One chimney is original, restored at