AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
IN THE COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX
ACCREDITED TO A DATE BEFORE 1714 Arranged by Parishes
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles
printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence to which reference should be made. The
key-plans of those churches which are not illustrated by hatched plans are drawn to a uniform scale
of 48 ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1 ACTON (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XVI, S.W.)
Acton is a parish and borough on the W. boundary
of the county of London.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, on the N. side
of the High Street was entirely re-built in 1865, the
tower being added in 1877. It contains from the
earlier church the following:—
Fittings—Bells: eight; 6th by James Bagley, 1712;
7th by Ellis Knight of Reading, 1637. Brass: In
N. aisle—on N. wall, of Humfrey Cavell, 1558, kneeling
figure of man in civil costume at prayer-desk, one
shield-of-arms, with modern enamel. Chest: In N.
gallery, of plain boards with angle-straps and strap-hinges, drop-handles at ends, probably late 17th-century.
Monuments: In S. vestry—(1) to Lady Anne Southwell,
1636 (See Mon. 5) two wooden panels with painted
inscriptions and moulded frames. In nave—on W.
wall, (2) to Jonathan Rogers 1694–5, oval tablet with
scrolls and shield-of-arms; (3) to Elizabeth, daughter of
Robert Searles, 1674, white marble cartouche with
palms, drapery, scrolls and lozenge-of-arms; (4) to
Philippa, wife of Francis Rous [Provost of Eton], 1657,
white marble tablet, part of a larger monument; (5) to
Anne (Harris) wife successively of Sir Thomas Southwell
and Henry Sibthorp, 1636, black marble slab, part of
larger monument; (6) to Elizabeth Barry, actress,
1713, convex tablet of marble; (7) to John Peryn,
alderman of London, 1656–7, slate tablet, part of larger
monument; (8) to Barbara (Crane) wife of Bartholomew Pigot, 1649–50, slate tablet; (9) to Mary, wife of
[Maj. Gen.] Philip Skippon, , slate tablet, part of
larger monument. In N. aisle—on W. wall, (10) to
Francis Stratford, 1704, white marble cartouche with
scrolls and shield-of-arms. In W. tower—on S. wall,
(11) to Katherine [Hueriblock] wife of [Edward] Viscount Conway, , wall-monument with side-pilasters, allegorical figures, entablatures, cornice and
two shields-of-arms. In N.W. lobby—on E. wall,
(12) to Frances, daughter of Samuel Trotman, 1698,
large marble cartouche (Plate 17) with elaborate scrolls
and drapery, cherubs and a lozenge-of-arms; on N.
wall, (13) to Catherine, daughter of Thomas Henslow,
1680, scrolled marble cartouche (Plate 17) with lozenge-of-arms; (14) to Daniel Wait and Anne his wife, subsequently wife of Sir John Coryton, Bart., 1707, scrolled
and draped marble cartouche with lozenge-of-arms. In
churchyard—S. of S. aisle; (15) to Thomas Bramley,
1689, Mary his wife, 1689 and others later, top slab
and base of former table-tomb. In yard of No. 230
High Street—(16) to Charles, Thomas, Richard and
Joseph, sons of John Peacock, also to Elizabeth his wife,
1704, flat slab. Plate: includes a set (Plate 22) said to
have been given by Lady Dudley, c. 1638–9 and consisting of cup with band of engraved ornament knop and
octagonal base with cherub-heads, stand-paten with
repoussé ornament and initials I.H.S., perhaps added,
larger stand-paten with repoussé ornament including
cherub-heads and domed lid with similar ornament
and a flagon with repoussé ornament including dolphins,
sea-horse, etc. Weather Vane: In tower—on N. wall,
of iron with pennon and acorn, removed from old
tower in 1810, late 17th or early 18th-century. Miscellanea: In N. gallery—fragments of stone-carving
from monuments and two small wheat-sheaves in oak.
In vestry—over fireplace, overmantel said to be made
up of wood-work from reredos of 1676. In churchyard—S. of S. aisle, slab with chamfered edge, two
angles cut away, possibly altar-slab.
(2) Berrymead Priory, now the Priory Constitutional Club, 400 yards S.E. of the church, is of two
storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are stuccoed
and the roofs are slate-covered. The house has been
so extensively altered, particularly in 1802, that it is
now impossible to say how much of the structure is
ancient. All the visible features are modern or have
been renewed. There was a house here in the 16th
century and it is possible that the central hall with the
wings to the N.W. and S.W. may date from this period.
The existence of windows high up in the E. and W.
walls of the hall indicates that this building formerly
stood free on these sides. The internal fittings appear
to be all modern with the possible exception of a piece
of glass painted with a portcullis.
(3) The Grange, on the S. side of the road at East
Acton, 1 m. E.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys
with cellars and attics; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 18th
century and retains its main block and W. cross-wing;
there are later extensions on the W. and S. The N.
front has a band between the storeys and a wooden
eaves-cornice; over the doorway is a three-light
window with solid frame, mullions and transom; it
may be of the 17th century re-used. Inside the building
there is an early 18th-century door and the cellars have
or had brick vaults; in the front wall of the cellars
are vertical chaces perhaps indicating the presence of
an earlier timber-framed building on the site.
(4) George and Dragon Hotel, on the S. side of
High Street, 50 yards S. of the church, is of three
storeys; the walls are partly timber-framed and partly
refronted in brick; the roofs are tile and slate-covered.
It was built probably as two houses early in the 17th
century, but has been extensively altered and the E.
part refaced. The upper storey projects on the W.
part of the front and under it is a wide passage-way
with chamfered posts.