3 BEDFONT, EAST, AND HATTON (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIX, S.E. (b)XX, N.W.)
East Bedfont is a parish and village 3 m. W.S.W. of
Hounslow. The church is the principal monument.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are generally of iron-stone conglomerate with dressings of Reigate stone;
the modern transept is of brick; the roofs are tiled.
The Chancel and Nave were built about the middle of
the 12th century. The chancel was extended E. in
the 15th century. Early in the 16th century the rood-stair projection was added. At some uncertain period
a W. bell-turret was added and the nave perhaps
extended to the W. The North Transept was added
in 1829 and towards the end of the 19th century the
bell-turret was taken down, the nave extended to the
W. and the South Tower and Porch added.
The church has 12th-century features of some
interest and among the fittings the wall-paintings are
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25 ft. by
12¼ ft.) has a partly restored 15th-century E. window
of three trefoiled lights in a segmental-pointed head
with a moulded label. In the N. wall is a 12th-century
window of one round-headed light. In the S. wall
are three windows, the easternmost of the 15th century
and of one trefoiled light in a square head; the other
two windows are of the 14th century and of two and one
pointed lights respectively; the western window is
partly restored; the doorway is modern. The N. and
S. walls both retain some stones of the conglomerate
quoins of the 12th-century chancel. The 12th-century
chancel-arch (Plate 42) is semi-circular and of one order
with cheveron ornament and a defaced label; the
responds also have cheveron-ornament and grooved
and chamfered imposts.
East Bedfont, Parish Church of St. Mary
The Nave (54 ft. by 16¼ ft.) has, to the N. of the
chancel-arch and in the adjoining N. wall, a double
recess of c. 1300, with modern two-centred heads
springing in the angle from a modern shaft; further W.
in the N. wall is a modern arcade of two bays and two
modern windows, the western incorporating old work.
In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of the 15th
century partly restored and of three cinque-foiled lights
in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label; the
second window is a single round-headed light of the
12th century; at the E. end of the wall is an early
16th-century projection of brick with a tabled top, to
enclose the rood-loft staircase; in it is a window of one
segmental-headed light; the 12th-century S. doorway
(Plate 42) has jambs and semi-circular arch of two orders
both with cheveron-ornament, the jambs have an
ornamental engrailed design on the face and the arch
has a trefoiled design with conventional leaves.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century and of
two bays with three king-post trusses; the king-posts
have moulded capitals and bases and four and three-way struts; the rafters are trussed. The roof of the
nave is of similar date and character with four old
trusses and two-way struts; the two W. bays are
Fittings—Bells: six, 1st and 4th by Richard Phelps,
1713. Brass: In chancel—on N. wall, of Mathew
Page, 1631–2, and Isabell his mother, 1629–30, with
kneeling figures of man in civil costume and woman.
Chest: In N. chapel—of hutch-type, 17th-century or
earlier, with later hinges. Glass: In chancel—in N.
window, quarries with flower design, 15th-century.
Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) stone
cartouche-of-arms, probably part of a monument to
John Hawes, 17th-century; in S.W. corner, (2) to
William Weldish, 1640, painted wooden panel with
achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—E. of chancel,
(3) to Francis Page, 1678, flat slab with achievement-of-arms. Paintings: In nave—in recesses N. of chancel-arch
(Plate 41), in E. recess a Crucifixion with figures of St.
Mary and St. John; in N. recess, square panel with four
lobes enclosing a throned figure of Christ with hands
raised showing the five wounds; in side-lobes angels
holding a cross and lance respectively; below the panel,
the resurrection of the dead with two angels with
trumpets, and a ribbon-pattern below, both paintings in
red line on a dark red background, c. 1300. Miscellanea:
In churchyard—S. of porch, two yew-trees cut in the
form of peacocks with part of the date 1704 on the W.
tree and remains of the former initials I.H., I.G. and
R.T. on the E. tree, said to be for John Goodwin, vicar,
and the two churchwardens. In nave—wood-carving
in high relief of the Crucifixion, probably 16th-century, Flemish.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, the
walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. Some
of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(2) Pates Manor Farm, house and barn about 80
yards N.N.E. of the church. The House was built
probably in the 16th century and consisted of the W.
block with a cross-wing at the S. end. There are
various additions on the E. side. The upper storey
projects at the W. end of the cross-wing on a moulded
bressummer. Re-set in the porches are two panels
with the arms of Christ's Hospital, the former owners.
The Barn, W. of the house, is weather-boarded.
a(3) Range of tenements (Plate 26) on the W. side of
the Green, 60 yards S.W. of the church, was built
probably early in the 18th century.
a(4) Bennet's Farm, house 300 yards S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the
walls are of brick. It was built probably early in the
18th century and has bands between the storeys. The
original staircase (Plate 37) has turned balusters and
a(5) Fawns, house 270 yards S. of the church, has
been much altered but the roof retains some curved
b(6) Green Man Inn, nearly 1½ m. N.E. of the church,
has been largely re-built in brick.