9 DRAYTON, WEST (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIV, S.E.)
West Drayton is a parish on the W. border of the
county 3½ m. S. of Uxbridge. The church and the
gatehouse of the former Manor House are the principal
(1) Parish Church of St. Martin (Plate 4) stands
near the N. end of the parish. The walls are of flint-rubble with dressings of Reigate and other freestone;
the roofs are covered with lead and tiles. Remains of
13th-century lancet-windows are said to have been
discovered in the Chancel which may indicate the date
of this part of the building. There may also be some
work of the same century in the West Tower. The
whole structure with the Nave and Aisles seems to have
been largely re-built about the middle of the 15th
century. The Tower seems to have been restored in
the 16th or 17th century and again in recent years; the
church in general was restored externally in 1850 and
the South Porch and Vestry are modern.
The church is of no great architectural interest, but
amongst the fittings the pre-Reformation plate, the
font and clock are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (35½ ft. by
17 ft.) has an E. window all modern except perhaps
the rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows all
modern except the splays and rear-arches which are
probably of the 15th century; between them is a
modern doorway and flanking it on the outside are some
exposed dressings probably of former lancet-windows.
The S. wall has two windows similar to those opposite
and between them is a doorway, modern except for the
splays and rear-arch. The 15th-century chancel-arch
is two-centred and of one chamfered and one small
hollow-chamfered order continued down the responds
to moulded bases.
The Nave (40½ ft. by 17 ft.) has 15th-century N. and
S. arcades of three bays with two-centred arches
similar to the chancel-arch, the columns are octagonal
and the responds semi-octagonal, with moulded capitals
and bases. The clearstorey has on each side three
windows all modern except the 15th-century splays
The North Aisle (10¼ ft. wide) is of the 15th century
and has a three-light E. window all modern except the
splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows
all modern except the splays and rear-arches. In the
W. wall is a similar window.
The South Aisle (10¼ ft. wide) has E., S. and W.
windows similar to those in the N. aisle. The S.
doorway is modern except the splays and rear-arch.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is mainly of the 15th
century and of three stages with a plain parapet repaired
in brick. The 15th-century tower-arch is two-centred
and of two chamfered and one hollow-chamfered order
continued down the responds to moulded bases. The
W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch
in a square head with a moulded label. The W.
window is modern except for the splays and rear-arch.
The second stage has in the S. and W. walls a window
of one pointed light. The bell-chamber has in the
E., S. and W. walls a modern window.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century, flat-pitched and of three bays; the tie-beams have curved
braces and short posts supporting the ridge; the wall-posts stand on stone corbels carved with grotesque
figures or busts. The 15th-century roofs of the aisles
are of flat, pent type and the principals have curved
braces springing from stone corbels carved with
human and beast-heads.
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th by
William Eldridge, 1710, three not hung and one of
these cracked; the sanctus-bell is said to be of 1704.
Brasses: In chancel—(1) to James Good, M.D., 1581,
and Joan (Glinton) his wife, figure of man in civil
costume and wife, groups of six sons and five daughters,
two shields-of-arms, also achievement and two lozenges-of-arms, now set on slab of (2); (2) figure of man in
civil costume c. 1520, inscription missing; on same
slab, shield of Roos, part of former brass of Richard
Roos, 1406. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (3) to John
Burnell, 1551, inscription in engraved architectural
frame, set in Purbeck marble tablet (Plate 13) with round
head and trefoiled spandrels; on floor, (4) to Margaret
(North) wife of Thomas Burnell, 1529, figure of woman
in pedimental head-dress, two sons, one daughter and
four shields-of-arms, (a) Mercers' Company, (b) Burnell
impaling North, (c) North, and (d) Staple of Calais.
Chest: In S. aisle—iron-bound with cambered lid,
one lock and two staples, 16th or 17th-century. Clock:
In tower—clock works in iron framework with angle-standards in form of Gothic buttresses, probably early
16th-century. Font: (Plate 51) octagonal bowl with
small buttresses at angles and panels carved as follows,
(a) Crucifixion with Virgin and St. John, (b) large leaf
and figure of man with hood and dagger, (c) Pietà,
(d) and (h) half-angels with shields and (e), (f), (g)
half-angels with scrolls, under edge of bowl carved
with human figures, beasts and foliage; pierced and
buttressed stem with trefoil openings and central
octagonal shaft; base with paterae and four human and
beast-figures at main angles, 15th-century. Monuments:
In chancel—on N. wall, (1) record of the benefactions
of George Carey, Lord Hunsdon, K.G., 1603, alabaster
tablet with achievement-of-arms. In S. aisle—on S.
wall, (2) to Catherine (Kinton), wife of James Eckersall,
1712, and James her only child, white marble oval
tablet, with palms, cherub-head and cartouche-of-arms. Piscina: In chancel (Plate 27)—of two bays with
moulded two-centred arches and labels with mask-stops
shafted jambs and detached central shaft, with moulded
capitals and bases, multifoiled drain in W. bay, restored
quatre-foiled drain in E. bay, 13th-century, possibly
re-set. Plate: includes chalice and paten (Plate 52), 1507,
chalice with inscription "Orate pro animabus Johannis
Porpyll et Johanne uxoris eius" paten with cusped
sinking, engraved leaves in spandrels and vernicle in
The churchyard is enclosed on the E., N. and part
of the W. side by walls of early 16th-century red brick
with some traces of diapering and small wall-niches;
this wall seems to have formed part of the enclosure of
the manor-house which formerly stood to the S. of the
(2) The Gatehouse (Plate 49) of the former Manor
House, immediately S. of the churchyard, is now of two
storeys; the walls are of red brick and the roofs are lead-covered. The Manor House, formerly the property of the
Paget and De Burgh families, has been long destroyed
but the early 16th-century gatehouse and considerable
stretches of enclosure wall are still standing. The gate-house was no doubt originally higher and is finished with
a modern embattled parapet. It has flanking semi-octagonal turrets but the windows are modern. The
central archway has moulded jambs and four-centred
arch with a moulded label; the original oak doors
are of two folds plainly panelled and hung on strap-hinges; one fold has a low wicket. The inner arch-way has jambs and four-centred arch of two chamfered
orders with a moulded label.
(3) The Vicarage, 300 yards E. of the church, is
of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are
tile and slate-covered. The N.E. wing was built
probably in the 17th century, and the main block was
added or re-built early in the 18th century. There is
an addition of 1743 at the back and a modern addition
at the W. end. The garden has an 18th-century
wrought-iron gate and fencing with elaborately scrolled
standards and overthrow with a monogram.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the
walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile or slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(4) Six Bells Inn, 250 yards N.N.E. of the church, has
been refaced in brick and much altered.
(5) Old Oak Lodge (Plate 28), on the S. side of the
road 150 yards W.N.W. of (4), was built in the 16th
century with a cross-wing at the W. end. The timber-framing is exposed and the roofs are original; they
have cambered tie-beams and curved wind-braces.
(6) Cottage (Plate 27), two tenements, Nos. 84 and
86 Swan Road, 280 yards W. of the church.
(7) Cottage, on the W. side of Drayton Green 500
yards S.W. of the church, was built in the 16th century
but has been refaced in 18th-century brick. The roof
is original and has wind-braces.
(8) The Copse, house 50 yards S.S.W. of (7), was built
in the 16th century but refaced in brick and added to in
the 18th century. On the S.E. side is an original
window of three lights with moulded oak frame and
mullions. One chimney-stack has 17th-century diagonal
shafts. Inside the building the roof retains some original
wind-braces and some of the framing is exposed.
(9) House, with shop, on the E. side of the Green
250 yards W.S.W. of the church.
(10) The Old House, 220 yards S.S.W. of (9), is a
brick building of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
The doorway has a flat hood on shaped brackets.
(11) Avenue House, 100 yards S.E. of (10) has a
16th-century E. wing but the main block is of the 18th
century. The old part has heavy timber-framing. To
the S. of the house is a timber-framed barn perhaps of
the 16th century.
(12) Southlands, house 50 yards S.W. of (11), was
built early in the 18th century. The walls are of brick
with a moulded band between the storeys. A timber-framed barn, S.W. of the house, is probably of the 17th
(13) Old Meadows, cottage 200 yards S.S.W. of (12),
was built probably in the 16th century. The upper
storey formerly projected on the W. front. Inside the
building some timber-framing and roof-timbers are
(14) The Frays, house on the bank of the mill-stream 700 yards S.W. of the church, was built perhaps
in the 15th century but has been refaced in brick. The
gable of the E. cross-wing has original simply foiled
barge-boards. Inside the building much of the
framing is exposed and in the S. wall are the mortices
for the diamond bar-mullions of an original window.
Over the main or hall-block are remains of an original
roof-truss with cambered tie-beam and curved braces.
Condition—In part, bad.
(15) Cottage, 80 yards N.E. of (14), has been refronted in brick.
(16) House, 20 yards E. of (15), has some exposed