12 EDMONTON (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. VII, S.E.)
Edmonton is an Urban District and parish on the E.
border of the county, adjoining Tottenham on the N.
The Church, Pymme's Park and Salisbury House are
the principal monuments. The moats, formerly
existing at Weir Hall and Marsh Side, have now been
(1) Parish Church of All Saints stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of rubble faced
with brick except the tower, which is rubble; the
dressings are of freestone and the roofs are tiled. There
was a 12th-century church on this site as indicated by
the remains of an arch and a doorway formerly in the
S. wall. The Chancel, Vestry, Nave, North Aisle and
West Tower of the existing church were re-built in the
15th century and the North Chapel was added early
in the 16th century. In 1772 the N. aisle and chancel
were refaced externally in brick. The church was
restored in 1889 when the S. arcade was built and
the South Aisle added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (41 ft. by
22 ft.) has a much restored 15th-century E. window of
four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; the gable has not been refaced and is of
irregular chequer-work with a small window of one
square-headed light. In the N. wall is a modern arcade
of two bays and a 15th-century doorway to the vestry,
with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the
S. wall is a modern arcade of two bays and further E.
a 16th-century window of two elliptical-headed lights
in a square head with a moulded label. The much
restored 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and
moulded; the responds are largely modern. Under
the chancel is a crypt or vault, now inaccessible.
The North Vestry has no ancient features, except the
roof, and has been refaced.
The North Chapel (25 ft. by 18½ ft.) is of early 16th-century date but has been refaced in brick. In the N.
wall are two modern windows; the jambs of the two
original windows remain flanking the modern openings; they had four-centred lights in square heads;
further W. is a blocked 16th-century doorway with
chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
The Nave (63¼ ft. by 27½ ft.) has a 15th-century N.
arcade of four bays, with two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders, springing from octagonal columns
with restored capitals and moulded bases; the outer
order is continued down the E. respond but both
orders die on to the W. wall. The S. arcade is modern.
The North Aisle (15½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
three windows, all modern except for the 15th-century
splays and rear-arches; the N. doorway is modern.
In the W. wall is a window, similar to those in the N.
The West Tower (14½ ft. square) is of the 15th century
and of three stages (Plate 54) with a moulded plinth and
modern embattled parapet. The tower-arch is moulded
and two-centred; the splayed responds have each an
attached shaft with moulded capital and base. The
restored W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights in a
four-centred head; the W. doorway has moulded
jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label.
The second stage has, in the E., S. and W. walls a
single-light window. The bell-chamber has, in each
wall, a window of two trefoiled lights in a square head
with a moulded label; the S. window has lost its
Edmonton, the Parish Church of All Saints
The Roof of the Vestry is of the 15th century and has
a double chamfered tie-beam and wall-plates and a
chamfered ridge. The 16th-century roof of the N.
chapel has moulded wall-plates, cross and longitudinal
beams and chamfered joists. The 15th-century roof
of the nave is of six bays with chamfered tie-beams,
curved braces, ridge and purlins; the wall-posts rest
on defaced stone corbels, formerly carved with angels
holding shields. The 17th-century roof of the N.
aisle is flat and divided into sixteen panels by moulded
beams; most of the panels are sub-divided either
diagonally or into squares by moulded ribs; the beam
between the chapel and the aisle rests on moulded and
enriched wall-brackets, that on the S. bearing the
initials and date I. and D.C. 1626.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In nave—
on N. splay of tower-arch, (1) to Edward Nowell, 1616
and Mary (Isham) his wife, 1600–1, figures of man in
civil costume, wife, three sons, one daughter, two
shields-of-arms and scroll, indent of same in middle
aisle; on S. splay of tower-arch, (2) of John Asplyn
and Godfrey Askew and Elizabeth wife of both successively, c. 1500, figure of two men in civil costume
and woman, indent of same in W. tower, (3) to Marye,
daughter of George Huxley, 1613, inscription only;
on W. wall, (4) of Nicholas Boone,  and Elizabeth his wife, figures of man in civil costume and wife.
Indents: In N. aisle—(1) slab with part of indent. In
chancel—(2) of two figures and groups of children;
(3) of inscription-plate. In N. chapel—on N. wall,
(4) stone tablet with pointed sinking, trefoiled spandrels
and embattled cornice, in sinking, indents of man, wife
and children with scroll and two plates. Door: In
doorway of vestry—heavy, battened and nail-studded,
with three strap-hinges, 15th-century (?). Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against N.
wall, (1) to George Huxley, 1627, and Catharine
(Nedham) his wife, marble monument (Plate 15) with
panelled base, back-piece with cornice, consoles,
cartouche-of-arms and small figure of Time; on S.
wall, (2) to Edward Rogers, 1661, Lidia his wife and
Richard their son, 1661, black and white marble tablet
with side-pilasters, entablature, segmental pediment
and achievement-of-arms. In N. chapel—on N. wall,
(3) probably to [Jasper Draper, 1657], re-set fragment
only, with shield-of-arms. In S. chapel—on S. wall,
(4) to Thomas Maule, 1714–5, tablet with Corinthian
side-pilasters, entablature, segmental pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (5) to Anne,
daughter of George Huxley, 1653–4, oval alabaster and
white marble tablet with wreath and defaced lozenge-of-arms, (6) to John Dent, 1659, black and white
marble tablet with Corinthian pilasters, cornice, broken
pediment and cartouche-of-arms; (7) probably to
[John Kirton], c. 1530, re-set traceried front below
and recess above (Plate 53), flanked by shafts and
surmounted by cornice of vine-ornament and cresting
of Tudor flowers, recess with panelled jambs and four-centred arch with traceried spandrels, on cornice three
shields (a) Kirton, (b) blank, (c) Bellers quartering
Houby and Rusken, on back of recess, indents of
kneeling figures of man and two wives, scrolls, children
and shield-of-arms; (8) to John Huxley, 1661, alabaster
and black marble wall-monument with Corinthian
side-columns, entablature, broken pediment and three
defaced cartouches-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In chancel
—(1) to Sarah, daughter of Richard Andrew, 1691, and
Ann his wife, 1704, with lozenge-of-arms; (2) to Sir
Nicholas Butler (?), 1700, and Jane his wife, with shield-of-arms; (3) to Elizabeth (Middleton), wife of John
Lane, 1690, and Hezekiah Middleton, her brother, 1688,
with achievement-of-arms. In nave—(4) to Triphena,
daughter of Peter Monger, 1707; (5) to Robert
Wilkins, 1712–3; (6) to Col. Thomas Sandiford, 1712,
with shield-of-arms. Miscellanea: In W. wall of S.
aisle—re-set portions of a mid 12th-century arch and
doorway (Plate 71), the arch with cheveron-ornament,
modified beak-heads and diaper-ornament, side-shafts
with cushion-capitals; the doorway with a round arch
and cheveron-ornament; standing loose, architectural
fragments 12th to 15th-century. Re-set in S. wall at E.
end of aisle—part of panelled marble front of
monument with cusped panelling and shields, early
(2) Pymme's Park, house ¾ m. S.S.W. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and
timber-framing and the roofs are slate-covered. A
house belonging to Lord Burghley stood on the site
late in the 16th century, but it seems to have been entirely re-built in the first half of the 17th century. It
was remodelled early in the 18th century and again
later in the century when the S. front was built. The
N. front is plastered and has two projecting wings;
these, with the main block, have an early 18th-century
eaves-cornice and rusticated plaster quoins. The other
fronts seem to have been refaced later in the 18th-century.
Inside the building is a considerable amount of 17th-century panelling and some panelled doors of the same
period; some of the doors have 17th-century moulded
frames and cornices. The fireplace in the S.E. room
has an overmantel of the first half of the 17th century
with a strapped oval panel in the middle and ornamental panels at the sides; the N.E. room has an early
18th-century moulded surround to the fireplace. The
early to mid 17th-century main staircase (Plate 37) has
turned balusters, entablature-moulded strings, heavy
grip-handrails and newels with ball-terminals; the
back staircase (Plate 39) is of similar character but the
rails are carried over the newels.
(3) Salisbury House (Plate 55), on the S. side of Bury
Street and 1,150 yards N.W. of the church, is of three
storeys with cellars; the walls are mostly timber-framed
and plastered or weather-boarded and the roofs are tiled.
It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century;
there are modern additions on the W. side. The upper
storeys project at both floor-levels on all four sides.
The W. side has three gables and a semi-octagonal
projecting stair-turret also gabled; three original
windows, with moulded frames, remain on this side.
The E. side has two large chimney-stacks each with one
square and two diagonal shafts. Inside the building
are a number of 17th-century doors, one having an
original moulded frame. The N. room on the first
floor is lined with early 17th-century panelling finished
with a frieze and cornice; the frieze is divided into
panels by uprights with jewel-ornament and brackets;
the fireplace is flanked by fluted and reeded pilasters
supporting a bracketed shelf with an overmantel (Plate
56) above; this is flanked by pilasters on pedestals, supporting an enriched entablature; the central bay has
geometrical panels, the middle one enriched by
arabesques; the side panels have enriched round-headed
niches. The room in the small wing on the S. is lined
with early 17th-century panelling. Re-set in the house
are two small 17th-century shields-of-arms (one of
Fabian) in painted glass.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the
walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile or slate-covered.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(4) Vicarage Cottage, 80 yards S.E. of the church, has
been partly refaced in brick and extended in the 18th
century. Two of the chimney-stacks have diagonal
(5) Lamb's Cottage, on the N. side of Church Street
and 210 yards E. of the church, has been refaced in
brick and otherwise altered.
(6) House with shops Nos. 5–9 on the N. side of the
Green and 440 yards E. of the church, is built of brick
and was much altered late in the 18th century. At the
back is an original window of three transomed lights.
Inside the building are two original staircases with
twisted balusters and some doors of the same period.
(7) House with shops, Nos. 17 and 17a, 45 yards E.
of (6), has been re-built in the 18th century except for the
brick wing at the back.
(8) House with shop, No. 36 on the S.E. side of the
Green 30 yards S. of (7), has been much altered.
(9) Range with shops, Nos. 30–34, immediately S.W.
of (8), has been refaced and otherwise extensively
(10) House with shops, Nos. 33 and 35, on the N.W.
side of Hertford Road, 550 yards E. of the church, has
been much altered but retains two late 17th-century