22 HAREFIELD (A.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)IV, S.E. (b)IX, N.E. (c)IX, S.E.)
Harefield is a village and parish in the N.W. angle of
the county. The church, the chapel at Moor Hall and
the almshouses are the principal monuments.
b(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 126, 127)
stands to the S. of the village. The walls are of flint rubble
and brick with limestone dressings, mostly rendered in
cement; the N.W. Tower is of brick above and of flint
rubble and stone below; the roofs are tiled. The thickness of the walling E. of the E. respond of the N. arcade
and at the S.W. angle of the nave perhaps indicates
the existence of a 12th-century church, but the earliest
surviving detail is the 13th-century window in the N.
wall of the chancel. The Chancel was built in the 13th
century and the North Chapel added about the same
time. Early in the 14th century the South Aisle and S.
arcade were built. The North Aisle and N. arcade
were added in the 16th century; the N. chapel was
re-built at the same time and the North West Tower added
shortly afterwards. The chancel-arch was re-built
probably late in the 18th century, and possibly the
chancel was shortened at the same time. The tower-arches to the nave and N. aisle have been filled in and
a modern doorway and staircase inserted; the North
Porch is also modern.
The church is of some architectural interest, and
among the fittings the brasses and monumental
effigies are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19¾ ft. by
24 ft.) has a modern three-light E. window. In the
N. wall is a single-light 13th-century lancet-window,
blocked internally. The S. wall has a blocked 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square
head, with a moulded label. The chancel-arch is
probably of late 18th-century date and of the same
period as the plaster ceiling of the chancel.
The Nave (55¼ ft. by 23¾ ft.) has at the E. end of the
N. wall a 13th-century two-centred arch of one chamfered order; the greater part of the S. side was cut back
in the 16th century; the E. respond is of early 16th-century date and has a moulded capping; the original
springer remains on the W. side. The N. arcade is of
early 16th-century date and of two bays each with
two moulded orders springing from an octagonal pier
and semi-octagonal respond with moulded capitals
and bases. The S. arcade is of early 14th-century date
with two-centred arches of two moulded orders with a
moulded label on the S. side; the quatre-foiled columns
have small intermediate shafts, moulded capitals and
modern bases; the E. respond and two westernmost
columns are modern; the W. respond has a small
carved head on each side of the capital, one a woman
with a jewelled fillet and the other a bishop. In the W.
wall is a modern window.
Harefield - the Parish Church of St Mary
The North Chapel (22 ft. by 13¾ ft.) has a modern
window in the E. wall and a modern doorway in the
N. wall; at the E. end of the S. wall is a projection
of doubtful purpose.
The North Aisle (21¼ ft. by 13¾ ft.) is of the 16th
century and has, in the N. wall, two two-light windows,
the easternmost entirely modern and the westernmost
modern except for parts of the jambs and splays. The
N. doorway is plastered and probably modern; to the
W. of it is a modern doorway.
The South Aisle (57 ft. by 13½ ft.) is of early 14th-century date and is faced with flint and stone checkerwork; it has an E. window of three lights with tracery
in a two-centred head, moulded jambs, rear-arch and
labels with defaced stops. In the S. wall are four
similar windows of two lights, the two westernmost
being modern except for the openings; the two easternmost have been restored and have modern stops to the
internal labels. The S. doorway has a two-centred
head with a moulded label and defaced head-stops; it
is now blocked. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The North-west Tower (12¾ ft. square) is of mid
16th-century date and of three stages with an embattled parapet and a pyramidal roof; the upper part
has been refaced or partly refaced in brick. The
ground stage has in both the E. and S. walls a blocked
four-centred arch of two chamfered orders springing
from responds with brick cappings; two modern
doorways and a staircase have been inserted in the E.
arch; in the W. wall is a window of three pointed
lights in a four-centred head with moulded external
jambs. The floor of the second stage has been lowered
and now cuts across the middle of this window. In the
N. and W. walls of the second stage are small pointed
windows in square heads with moulded labels. The
third stage has in each face a window of two four-centred lights in a square moulded head with a cement
The Roof of the N. chapel is ceiled, but has three
cambered tie-beams. The roof of the S. aisle is of
six bays with early 16th-century moulded and cambered
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus; 1st by Bryan
Eldridge, 1629; sanctus undated. Brasses: In
chancel—(1) of John Newdigate, 1545, and Anne his
wife, 15 . ., figures of man and woman in civil dress,
kneeling at prayer-desks, eight sons and five daughters
all kneeling, inscription, and indents of two labels and
two shields, in back of altar-tomb (see Monument (4)).
In N. chapel—(2) of William Assheby, 15 . ., and
Jane his wife, 1537, figures of man in armour and wife,
one son and seven daughters and inscription; all are
palimpsest, figure of man on effigy in shroud, c. 1500,
figure of woman on portions of two civil figures, 15th-century, figure of son on brass of earlier but doubtful
date, figures of daughters on the face of a large 14th-century figure, and inscription on an inscription to John
Gregory who died at Lambeth, 1468, and Joan his wife,
1487; (3) of George Assheby, 1514, and Rose (Eden)
his wife, figures of man in armour, wife, four sons, three
daughters, inscription and three shields-of-arms—
(1) Ashby, (2) Ashby impaling Peyton quartering
Bernard and (3) Eden, indents of two other shields; all
except the sons are palimpsest, figure of man on two
parts of a large figure of a priest with embroidered and
fringed maniple and stole, chasuble with embroidered
edge and alb with orphrey, 14th-century; figure of woman
on two parts of effigy in shroud, 15th-century; figures
of daughters on a civil figure, 15th-century; inscription
on portions of two figures of women, 15th-century and
c. 1500; and the shields on (1) a fragment of a woman's
figure, (2) and (3) on part of an inscription and two parts
of a Trinity, indents of two shields; on N. wall, (4) to
George Assheby, 1474, and Margaret his wife, 1474,
inscription only. In S. aisle—in recess in E. wall (5)
to John Crugge, 1533, and Barbara his wife 15 . .,
inscription only; palimpsest on part of skeleton in
shroud, late 15th-century, formerly in Astley Church,
Warwickshire; on S. wall, (6) to Edith, wife of William
Neudegate, 1444, small figure of woman in horned
head-dress, inscription and indents of two shields.
See also Monuments (7) and (10). Chests: In vestry—
of small hutch-type, with scalloped edges to lid and
front, plain lock-plate, 17th-century; with moulded
lid, three lock-plates and shaped hinges, inscription on
front with names John Lewis, William Nellam, churchwardens, and date 1691. Communion Rails: forming
semi-octagonal enclosure (Plate 130) with double gate
across one side, moulded top and bottom rails with
pilaster-strips at the angles carved with pendants of fruit
and cherub-heads, spaces between filled with carved
and pierced scroll-work with acanthus-leaves and the
heads of a nun and a monk; late 17th-century date, said
to have come from Flanders with the reredos. Communion Table: In vestry—with turned legs and enriched
top rail, 17th-century. Font: octagonal, with moulded
and embattled capping to bowl, probably modern, and
moulded base, early 16th-century. Cover, with eight
scrolled brackets, early 17th-century. Funeral-helms
and Gauntlets: in chancel, on S. wall, (1) armet and
visor, beaver, skull in two pieces and plain comb,
the gorget is apparently of different date, 16th-century;
(2) 15th-century salade with cracked skull, visor,
beaver and gorget, late 16th-century; (3) and (4) made
up from pieces of 17th-century helms and modern
pieces. With each helm, a pair of gauntlets, all much
restored. Glass: in N. chapel—in E. window (1) a
roundel with a figure of the Scarlet Woman, wearing
a triple crown, with inscription from Apocalypse xviii;
(2) shield of arms of Ashby, and above the Ashby
rebus, early 16th-century; (3) roundel with a figure
of Christ, on one side three apostles and on the other
side a pope, a bishop and a cardinal; part of inscription
from Wisdom of Solomon v; in tracery, three roundels,
(a) Christ talking to two saints at the door of a sheep-fold, with sheep in foreground; on the roof are a pope,
a bishop and priests; at one side a priest stabbing a
sheep; part of inscription from John x; (b) the
righteous king in early 16th-century costume with
sword, seated on a throne with soldiers and attendants
on each side; part of inscription in border '. . . rde
thou righteous. The seat of the king that faithefuly
judgeth the poare shalbe continue sure for evermore';
(c) figure of St. James the Great; border with part of
inscription from Matthew iii, 10; all of 16th-century
date. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In
chancel—against E. wall, (1) of Mary (Bagot), wife of
Sir Richard Newdigate, 2nd Baronet; also to Sir
Richard Newdigate, 2nd Baronet, 1709–10; large
marble canopied wall-monument (Plate 125) with effigy
of woman in classical draperies reclining on sarcophagus
with panelled front and gadrooned edge; sarcophagus
resting on high base, supporting two Doric columns
with a draped entablature and domical canopy, vase,
cherub-heads and shield-of-arms; against N. wall (2)
to Sarah (Bisshopp), wife of Richard Newdigate, 1695,
large marble wall-monument (Plate 15) consisting of
panelled sarcophagus with gadrooned top, resting on
high panelled base with high panelled back surmounted
by a cherub's head and shield-of-arms; on the
sarcophagus two cherubs supporting an urn; in S.E.
angle of chancel (3) of Alice (Spencer), wife first of
Ferdenando Stanley, fifth Earl of Derby, and second of
Thomas Egerton, Viscount Brackley, formerly Lord
Chancellor, 1636, altar-tomb, effigy and canopy (Plate
128); altar-tomb with three recesses on W. side with
kneeling figures of three daughters by her first husband,
wearing coronets, ruffs and long cloaks (a) Anne wife
first of Grey Brydges, Lord Chandos, and second of
Mervyn Touchet, Earl of Castlehaven, (b) Frances, wife
of John Egerton, Earl of Bridgwater, and (c) Elizabeth
wife of Henry Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon; effigy
(Plate 129) of lady with long hair and head on cushion,
wearing a coronet, tight-fitting, low-cut bodice, gown
and cloak, crest at feet, canopy of four Corinthian columns
supporting an entablature with a dome-shaped top,
draped curtains on two sides, seven shields-of-arms and
modern achievement; against S. wall (4) partly recessed
early 16th-century canopied table-tomb (Plate 53),
moulded top-slab with indent of a shroud brass and front
with three lozenge-shaped cusped panels with shields
having rivets of former brasses; canopy carried on
shafted standards and having a moulded cornice, frieze
with circular panels and a brattished cresting, soffit of
canopy and sides of standards with traceried panels; at
back of recess indents of figures and inscription plate and
later brass (see Brasses (1)). In N. chapel—on N.
wall (5) of Sir Robert Ashby, 1617, and of Sir Francis
Ashby 1623, wall-monument (Plate 132) with figures of
man and wife in civil costume, kneeling at prayer-desk
in recess flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an
entablature with looped curtains, an achievement-of-arms and putti with spades; below the effigies, five sons
kneeling, one in armour and four in civil costume,
shield-of-arms on prayer-desk. Between N. chapel
and nave—on W. side of arch (6) to John Pritchett,
Bishop of Gloucester, formerly vicar of Harefield and
St. Andrew Undershaft, 1680–1, and Catherine his wife,
white marble oval tablet (Plate 17) carved with cherub-heads, pendants of fruit and flowers and a cartouche-of-arms, flanked by books and surmounted by a
mitre. In S. aisle—in E. wall, (7) to John Newdegate,
sergeant-at-law, 1528 and Amphilisia (Nevell) his wife,
1544, table-tomb with top-slab of Purbeck marble with
moulded edge, the front with two quatre-foiled and sub-cusped lozenge-shaped panels and shields; set in slab,
brasses of a man in legal costume and a lady with pedimental head-dress and mantle with the arms of Neville
of Holt, both with labels; between the figures indent
of a Trinity and below an inscription plate, re-set upside
down, and groups of ten sons and seven daughters;
in N.E. corner, (8) to Sir Richard Newdigate, Bart.,
sergeant-at-law, 1678 and Juliana (Leigh), his wife
1685, black and white marble wall-monument (Plate 16)
consisting of black marble slab carrying wreathed inscription-tablet, twisted columns with entablature,
scrolled and broken pediment and achievement-of-arms; in S.E. corner (9) of Sir John Newdigate, 1610,
and Anne (Fitton) his wife, alabaster and marble wall-monument (Plate 132) with figures of man in armour
and wife kneeling at prayer-desk in a recess flanked by
Ionic pilasters with entablature and surmounted by
an achievement-of-arms and two crests; two shields-of-arms in spandrels; below effigies, kneeling figures
of two sons and three daughters and a cartouche-of-arms; in S. wall (10) table-tomb with moulded top-slab
of grey marble, damaged front with three lozenge-shaped panels with shields having rivets for brasses,
early 16th-century; on S. wall (11) to John Newdigate,
1705, and to Richard, 1705–6, John, 1709, and Thomas,
1713–4, infant sons of Sir Richard Newdigate, 3rd
Baronet, marble wall-monument with inscription tablet
flanked by panelled pilasters with shield-of-arms; in
S.W. corner, (12) to John Newdigate, 1642, wall-monument (Plate 16) with black marble inscription tablet
set between Doric columns carrying an entablature
and broken pediment, achievement and two shields-of-arms, the whole resting on moulded shelf with a
shield-of-arms; in N.W. corner, (13) to Robert Newdigate, 1695, black and white marble wall-monument,
consisting of inscription tablet, consoles, entablature,
curved and broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms.
In churchyard—S. of chancel, (14) to Elizabeth (Cotes),
widow of Sir Walter Long, 1688, table-tomb with N.
side incomplete as though originally against a wall,
cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel (1) to
John Ashby, 1713, and Judith (Turner), his wife, with
achievement-of-arms. In nave—(2) to Sir Richard
Newdigate, Baronet, sergeant-at-law, 1678, and Juliana
(Leigh) his wife, 1685, with shield-of-arms; (3) to
John Pritchett, Bishop of Gloucester, 1680–1; (4) to
Abraham Stanyon, 1696, black marble slab with defaced
achievement-of-arms; (5) to John Stanyon, 1701,
of black marble, with defaced achievement-of-arms.
In S. aisle—(6) to Robert Newdigate, 1695. Piscina:
In S. wall of S. aisle, recess (Plate 21) with moulded
and trefoiled ogee head, cinque-foiled drain and shelf,
14th-century, modern label and stops. Plate: includes
a cup of 1561 with a band of conventional foliage
on the bowl, ornamented base; a cup of c. 1630,
given by Humfrey Kelsall and Elizabeth his wife, and
a 17th-century paten with initials I.P. Reredos (Plate
130): consisting of a long panel of elaborate pierced
scroll and acanthus design, with moulded top and bottom
rails and projecting brackets at the ends carved with
angel-heads and pendants; on the top rail, two kneeling angels, late 17th-century, said to have come from
Flanders. Screen: at W. end of N. chapel, in two
stages, with close lower panels and open upper panels
of two lights with traceried heads; late 15th or early
16th-century, made up with modern work. Sundials:
on buttress to S. wall of S. aisle, two scratch-dials.
Miscellanea: In N. chapel, in splays of E. window, two
small brick panels with arms of Ashby. In churchyard,
in E. wall, two mutilated stone figures of women in
classical costume, 17th-century.
b(2) Chapel (Plate 131), at Moor Hall Farm, 750 yards
S.S.W. of the church. The walls are of flint-rubble with
Reigate stone dressings and much 17th-century and
later brick repair. The property seems to have been
granted to the Order of St. John of Jerusalem late in
the 12th century and to have become a preceptory of
that Order. The existing building was no doubt the
chapel and was built early in the 13th century.
Harefield Chapel at Moor Hall Farm
Architectural Description—The Building (34½ ft. by
18 ft.) is of two storeys, the original first-floor level
being marked by an internal offset. The E. wall has
three graduated 13th-century lancet windows in the
upper part. The N. wall has, at the E. end, a 17th or
18th-century opening now blocked; immediately W.
of it is a small 13th-century lancet window. Below
this window is a 13th-century doorway with jambs and
segmental head of two continuous chamfered orders,
partly replaced by brick; further W. is a modern opening now blocked and above it is a 13th-century doorway,
with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The S.
wall has been much repaired towards the E., where
there is a modern window; further W. are remains of
a small blocked single-light window and again to the W.
is a small single-light window with a square head; on
the upper floor are two original lancet-windows, with
a small lancet-window to the E. of them. The W.
wall has a modern window and above it is a tall 13th-century lancet-window.
The Roof is of the 16th century and of queen-post
type, with cambered tie-beams and curved wind-braces.
Condition—Poor, stone much perished and crack in
c(3) Homestead Moat, 350 yards S.E. of Brackenbury Farm, over 2 m. S.E. of the church.
c(4) Brackenbury Farm, house, barn and moat,
nearly 2 m. S.E. of the church.
The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls
are of brick and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled.
The middle portion of the W. wall is perhaps part of a
16th-century house; the S.E. wing is of early, and the
N.W. wing of late 17th-century date, and there are
various modern additions. Inside the building, the
staircase of c. 1700 has turned balusters and close
moulded strings. In a room on the ground-floor are
two early 17th-century bolection-moulded panels with
strapwork ornament. The first floor has exposed
timber-framing and in one of the rooms are some 16th-century flat-shaped balusters.
The Barn, N.E. of the house, is of the 16th century and
of two parts roofed at right-angles to one another; the
walls are of weather-boarded timber-framing; the
roof of the E. part is of queen-post type with curved
The Moat, formerly surrounding the house, is complete on three sides.
Condition—Of house and barn, good.
b(5) Almshouses (Plate 66), 300 yards N.W. of the
church, are of two storeys; the walls are of brick and
the roofs are tiled. The almshouses were built by Alice,
Countess of Derby (died 1636), after her second marriage
to Sir Thomas Egerton, (afterwards Lord Ellesmere and
Viscount Brackley) in 1600. They are arranged in two
groups of four tenements divided by a central passage
and forming an H-shaped plan with the cross-wings
at the N. and S. ends. A brick string course runs
round the W. part of the building; the windows have
chamfered brick heads, jambs and sills; the roofs are
gabled and the chimney-stacks have diagonal shafts.
On the W. front, over the central passage, is a carved
stone achievement-of-arms of the foundress. Inside
the building there is one original moulded and battened
door, and, on the first floor, some exposed timber-framing.
b(6) Harefield Park, house ¾ m. N.N.W. of the
church, is modern, but has a rainwater head dated 1710
with a cartouche-of-arms of Cooke.
b(7) Harefield Place, 150 yards S.E. of the church,
was demolished in 1814. Some garden-walls of 16th-century brick still remain to the S.E. of the site of the
b(8) Brakespear, house and dovecote 800 yards E.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was
practically re-built late in the 17th century but may
incorporate some remains of a 16th-century house.
The E. and W. wings are modern additions. The N.
front has an eaves-cornice which is continued round
the building; the windows appear to have been renewed
but the central doorway retains its original shell-hood
with an achievement-of-arms of Ashby; the hood rests
on acanthus-consoles. The S. front does not appear to
retain any ancient features. Inside the building, the
hall has a late 16th or early 17th-century fireplace
flanked by coupled Doric columns supporting a
moulded shelf with arabesque ornament; the overmantel is of two bays flanked by twisted Ionic
columns and divided by an enriched diminishing
pilaster, all supporting an enriched cornice; the bays
have geometrical panelling with a framing of con
ventional foliage; there is also some 17th-century
panelling, made up with modern work; the windows
of the hall have the following pieces of 16th-century
painted glass—(a) a quartered shield of Hastings
impaling Russell, (b) a strapwork cartouche with the
date 1569, (c) a shield-of-arms of Ashby impaling
Wroth in a cartouche with four heads in medallions,
(d) a shield-of-arms of Ashby impaling a quartered coat,
(e) the royal arms of Elizabeth; set in the door are
two quarries with a rebus of Ashby and a motto. The
Dining Room has a 17th-century fireplace flanked by
consoles with heads at the top supporting the shelf;
the overmantel is flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an enriched cornice; in the middle is a wreath
with the achievement-of-arms of Ashby quartering
Wroth and rebuses of Ashby; the walls are lined with
early 17th-century panelling divided into bays by Ionic
pilasters and finished with an enriched entablature; the
windows have the following pieces of 16th-century
painted glass—shields-of-arms of (a) Ashby with an
altered impalement, (b) Ashby impaling Gernon
quartering Henson, (c) France and England quarterly,
(d) Ashby impaling a second coat, (e) the quartered
arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, with a garter,
also a cartouche with the date 1572 and other fragments.
The late 17th-century main staircase has twisted
balusters and close strings.
The Dovecote (Plate 49), N.W. of the house, is an
early 17th-century square structure of brick with a
pyramidal roof. The doorway has a segmental-pointed
head and above it is a two-light window with a moulded
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, the
walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. Many
of the buildings have exposed external framing and
internal ceiling-beams, and some retain original
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(9) White Horse Inn, 400 yards N.W. of the church,
is of late 16th-century date with modern additions.
b(10) Manor Court, 600 yards N.N.W. of the church,
was built probably in the 16th century on a half
H-shaped plan with a central hall, but, except for the
S. wing, it has been much altered and added to. The
original roof is visible in the S. wing.
b(11) Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 275 yards
N. of (9), has been partly refaced and has a modern
addition at the back.
b(12) Cottage, N. of (11), has been partly refaced and
has modern additions on the N. and W.
b(13) The Cricketers' Inn, 450 yards N. of (12), is of
two storeys with attics; the walls have been refaced
and there are modern additions on the W.
b(14) King's Arms Inn, 1,120 yards N. of the church.
The N. wing includes part of the original 15th-century
house, but it appears to have been largely re-built in the
17th century and has modern additions on the W.
Inside the building the original wing retains a tie-beam
with the mortice for a former king-post.
b(15) Cottages, three tenements, on the S. side of
Park Lane, 1,100 yards N. of the church; the N. and S.
wings are 18th-century additions.
b(16) House, on the N. side of Park Lane, 50 yards
N.W. of (15), has a modern addition on the E.
b(17) Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of Park
Lane, 250 yards W. of (16), has a re-built E. wing.
a(18) Whiteheath Farm, house and barn, stands back
from the road, 1¼ m. N. of the church. The House is of
two storeys with attics and has later additions on the
N. and S. The walls have been refaced. The Barn,
E. of the house, is of six bays; the roof has braced tie-beams and curved wind-braces.
a(19) Cottage, on the E. side of the road, at Hillend,
about 280 yards W.N.W. of (18).
a(20) Meadow Cottage, W. of the road, 80 yards W. of
(19), was built in the 16th century and was altered and
added to in the 17th century. A two-storeyed bay-window on the N.E. front has been destroyed, but the
a(21) Cripps Farm Cottage, house and barn, 320 yards
N. of (19). The House was built probably in the 16th
century. The Barn, S.E. of the house, is in two parts,
the five E. bays are of 16th-century date and the
western part was added late in the 17th or early in the
18th century; the roof of both parts is of queen-post
b(22) Jack's Cottage, 1,400 yards N.W. of the church,
consists of a 17th-century chimney-stack round which
the timbers from an earlier building have been re-built
with later brickwork.
b(23) Bourne Farm, house and barns, 1,250 yards E.
of the church. The House is built of brick with blue
brick diapering; the chimney-stacks have diagonal
shafts. The Barns, N.W. of the house, have exposed
b(24) Highway Farm, house about 1 m. S.S.E. of the
church, has been re-built, but retains one old chimney-stack.
b(25) New Years Green Pond Farm, house ½ m. E. of
(24), was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th
century, and has a modern addition on the E. Inside the
building is an early 17th-century oven.
b(26) New Years Green Farm, house 350 yards N.E.
of (25), is of brick, and has been largely re-built.
c(27) Crows Nest Farm, house 650 yards S.E. of (26),
was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century;
it has later additions on the W. and the front has been
refaced. Inside the building are some cupboards made
up of late 16th-century panelling, with cock's-head
c(28) Swakeley Farm, house and barns, about 2½ m.
S.E. of the church. The House is of brick and of two
storeys with attics; it was built about 1709, the date
and initials R.A. appearing on a chimney-stack, and has
later additions. The entrance-door has moulded
battens and a moulded frame. Two Barns, S. and E.
of the house, are weather-boarded; the roofs are of